The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

steveespo new bullet for the 21 Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Finally getting around to assembling my 5.2 build to install in the 21 Car early this season. Starting with all new parts sourced mostly through Capaldi Racing, including Mahle pistons/Manley forged rods with ARP2000 bolts, cross plane 5.2 FP350 crank, predator block, Gen 3 Coyote heads with PAC 1281X valvesprings and Titanium retainers, ARP head studs and damper boltE1.jpgE2.jpgE3.jpgE4.jpgE5.jpgE6.jpgE7.jpgE8.jpgE9.jpgE10.jpgE11.jpgE12.jpg . Shortblock was deburred, honed, cleaned, sized, balanced and assembled by Holbrook Racing. All accessories are new such as fasteners, oil pan/pump is GT500, timing kit is Gen 3 new from Ford Performance with Boss 302 primary tensioners, GT500 water pump, ATi Damper and all new sensors, front cover and cam covers. Assembly is going well and here are some pics of the progress, should be ready to swap in about a week as I am waiting on a few specialty tools to install rear seal and the Direct Injector seals.

I haven't made a new post in a while so I thought I would share.
Steve

Very cool! Since you got the steel hub ATI damper, did your machine shop also hone the hub bore to have the correct interference fit with your crankshaft snout? Per their instructions, the steel hub bores are manufactured undersize to account for a wider manufacturing tolerance in aftermarket crankshafts and most steel hubs need honing prior to install (aluminum versions apparently come to OEM tolerances and don't need this step). This may be a reach, but I assume omitting this step may account for some issues people have had with that specific damper in the past damaging their crank.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Very cool! Since you got the steel hub ATI damper, did your machine shop also hone the hub bore to have the correct interference fit with your crankshaft snout? Per their instructions, the steel hub bores are manufactured undersize to account for a wider manufacturing tolerance in aftermarket crankshafts and most steel hubs need honing prior to install (aluminum versions apparently come to OEM tolerances and don't need this step). This may be a reach, but I assume omitting this step may account for some issues people have had with that specific damper in the past damaging their crank.
Hasn't been checked yet but previous Coyote installs have been in spec. The ATi warning I believe is generic for Big and Small Block Chevys that have many available aftermarket cranks of varying tolerances. What is important is using the correct tools to install the hub, I use the Ford OTC tool specified in the manuals. It will be measured.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Glad I was able to save you the struggle of trying to crank that onto the snout :)
There must be a local shop that could turn it to spec for you if you were still interested in using it.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Glad I was able to save you the struggle of trying to crank that onto the snout :)
There must be a local shop that could turn it to spec for you if you were still interested in using it.
Nah I have run both OEM and ATi, OOEM with an ARP bolt and washer will do the trick.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
What cams and intake?
Stock 2018 exhaust and L&M intake with GT350 intake and cold air box. I believe Steve is tuning this for pump gas. I would expect 510 or so at the rear wheels and 425 - 435 torque with a fat fuel curve and a low timing limit. The one I put together this summer made 505 hp and 427 torque with GT350 heads and Gen 1 cams (2018 heads are comparable to GT350) with a maximum of 23 degrees timing and a 11 - 11.5:1 fuel mixture.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you have 30 degrees or more max timing with E85.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Stock 2018 exhaust and L&M intake with GT350 intake and cold air box. I believe Steve is tuning this for pump gas. I would expect 510 or so at the rear wheels and 445 - 450 torque with a fat fuel curve and a low timing limit. The one I put together this summer made 505 hp and 445 torque with GT350 heads and Gen 1 cams (2018 heads are comparable to GT350) with a maximum of 23 degrees timing and a 11 - 11.5:1 fuel mixture.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you have 30 degrees or more max timing with E85.
That’s great power.

I think SteveEspo and I would both consider E85, but it is not readily available at most of the tracks we drive (VIR, WG, Road America, Road Atlanta, Summit Point, etcetera). Race gas is too expensive, so we wind up with really conservative tuning. Realistically, that is ok with NASA power to weight rules.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Just for laughs I looked up race fuel cost up here in the great over-taxed north.
Sunoco Optima Octane: (R+M)/2: 95 is $143 for 5 gallons.
Premium pump gas is about $38.25 for 20 litres (5.28 US gallons) at the moment. Pretty much all that is tax, the gas itself is cheap.

Jughead Blackface wants it this way, he thinks we can all take public transit (there's none anywhere near most people up here, only in the cities) or walk. Which is great if you like walking 15 miles to the grocery store, that is if there is a grocery within 15 miles, which is unlikely outside the cities.
I'm not bitter, I just can't wait for the next election.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
That’s great power.
Yes especially the torque. Going to have a few tunes, One will be a NASA ST2 compliant tune that is throttle limited, So all in until power hits 450 hp then throttle it back to hold that power to redline. Estimate that curve will be from 6200-7500. The other will be unrestricted for fun days hoping Steve @2012-Boss is right and we see 510/445 6200-8000 rpm.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yes especially the torque. Going to have a few tunes, One will be a NASA ST2 compliant tune that is throttle limited, So all in until power hits 450 hp then throttle it back to hold that power to redline. Estimate that curve will be from 6200-7500. The other will be unrestricted for fun days hoping Steve @2012-Boss is right and we see 510/445 6200-8000 rpm.
Yes, That's really good torque, about the same HP (507) but 30 more ft pounds than mine (414) ....How much compression?
Where does all that torque come from? The 200 extra cc's or a compression bump or both?

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I think SteveEspo and I would both consider E85, but it is not readily available at most of the tracks we drive (VIR, WG, Road America, Road Atlanta, Summit Point, etcetera). Race gas is too expensive, so we wind up with really conservative tuning. Realistically, that is ok with NASA power to weight rules.
Yeah, they don't have it at tracks around here either, I just haul my own to the track. It's worth it to me.

TMO Supporting Vendors