The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Steven's 2018 Mustang GT "Christine" Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
York, SC
The Steeda brake rotors met their demise at VIR on November 13th by developing a crack. I switched back to my street rotors/pads for the remainder of the event.

I went to purchase the Steeda 2-piece rotor rebuild kit (just the cast iron rotor part) and got some serious sticker shock! They used to be somewhat expensive, now they're realllly expensive. I found that DBA sells some nice 1 piece rotors (T3 4000) for about 1/2 the price of the Steeda rebuild kit, and have switched to those, at least for now. They seem to be doing pretty well, surviving just fine at CMP yesterday.

I switched from G-LOC to Hawk at the suggestion of some track buddies and found the DTC-70 pads to be seriously awesome! I will be running those from now on.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Not surprised the one piece rotors are a lot cheaper, but I would check back with Steeda as they are a quality company and very good chance they could be using US Steel. Pretty sure DBA is still using Chinese metal and in the long run I will stick with the superior quality and consistency of US Steel rotors. Girodisc definitely uses steel from America and surprisingly many top names are getting their rotors from overseas. Just a thought when you need to replace again.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
York, SC
Not surprised the one piece rotors are a lot cheaper, but I would check back with Steeda as they are a quality company and very good chance they could be using US Steel. Pretty sure DBA is still using Chinese metal and in the long run I will stick with the superior quality and consistency of US Steel rotors. Girodisc definitely uses steel from America and surprisingly many top names are getting their rotors from overseas. Just a thought when you need to replace again.
Yeah, I think you're right, although $700+ is a lot of money for a couple of cast iron rings. I'm sure it is a supply / demand problem.
DBA makes high quality rotors. They even supplied them with painted so that I could see how hot they were getting. That was pretty cool!

BTW as an aside, I see you are in Blair... I grew up in Omaha but moved away to pursue work opportunities elsewhere. Howdy neighbor! :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agree the DBAs are better quality than many, just noting that they are likely Chinese Steel which does help on pricing. I am not sure Steeda uses US Steel , but I do know Girodisc does and this will be part of higher pricing. Just dropping the info, as I was quite surprised to find in 2019 and 2020 how many rotors were not built supplied with steel from here. Not being political , just basing this on years of hearing the superiority of brake rotors built in the US using US steel, only to find out of late that many of those same companies are outsourcing the metal.

Cool your are from Omaha, but you are in a great part of the Country to exercise your Stang. If you need to get home to visit , think about a September vacation , because then you could zip down the road to Hastings and run in the Mustang Roundup ( race mph.com )

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
York, SC
Agree the DBAs are better quality than many, just noting that they are likely Chinese Steel which does help on pricing. I am not sure Steeda uses US Steel , but I do know Girodisc does and this will be part of higher pricing. Just dropping the info, as I was quite surprised to find in 2019 and 2020 how many rotors were not built supplied with steel from here. Not being political , just basing this on years of hearing the superiority of brake rotors built in the US using US steel, only to find out of late that many of those same companies are outsourcing the metal.

Cool your are from Omaha, but you are in a great part of the Country to exercise your Stang. If you need to get home to visit , think about a September vacation , because then you could zip down the road to Hastings and run in the Mustang Roundup ( race mph.com )
Yeah, SC is very friendly to the track oriented. There are no vehicle inspections (and what do you know, the cars are actually ok! ;)), and they even allow for darker window tint!

I am a little over 1 hour from Carolina Motorsports Park and about 3 hours from AMP, Road Atlanta, and less than 3 hours from VIR! I will be hitting all of those in 2022, God willing!

My GT is seriously fast! It's all stock, engine wise, except for a tune that bumped it to 457rwhp/416rwtq.The suspension, on the other hand... is where the magic happens! :cool:

I just did some research and see why American steel is so important. I'll be looking into what DBA and Steeda are using. DBA rotors are cheaper, but not "Amazon Chang Wang Rotors" cheaper...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
York, SC
My buddy Jay and I installed the Steeda Bump Steer Kit before taking the car to VIR this past weekend for the Full Throttle Fall Fest. What a great time! The car did very well! I ran consistent 2.17s my 2nd event at VIR. Apparently I am figuring that track out :p

TMO Supporting Vendors