The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sticking clutch with 7200rpm shift from 3rd to 4th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mine has only stuck to the floor once. Oddly, it was on the way to my first track day, but surprisingly it didn't do it on the track at all. I have not had it stick to floor since but in high RPM shifts or even under power in higher gears, the clutch engagement is not that smooth. I will probably take it to the dealer eventually but I am hesitant since it seems like there is no real fix outside of moving to an aftermarket clutch. This also seems to fix people shifting problems, though I don't really have those except for every once in a while. I would love to have Ford fix it, because it is clearly a defect with the number of people who are having these problems on the 2011+ cars with the MT-82 transmissions. It just seems that there is no real fix for it without going with an aftermarket clutch.

You aren't supposed to use dot 5 unless the car is designed for it. It isn't like going to 4 which is basically higher temp version of 3. It is a different type of fluid.

bolecailey said:
I will probably take it to the dealer eventually but I am hesitant since it seems like there is no real fix outside of moving to an aftermarket clutch. I would love to have Ford fix it, because it is clearly a defect with the number of people who are having these problems on the 2011+ cars with the MT-82 transmissions. It just seems that there is no real fix for it without going with an aftermarket clutch.

You should take it to the dealer even if they do not fix it right away. Ford will not use resources to find a proper fix until there are enough reports of the problem. Also if this causes system damage down the road you will have a record of the problem documented with them.

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
When you switched to DOT 4 did you flush all the DOT 3 from the clutch hydraulic system?

There should be no reason to bleed the clutch system fluid. It will not get hot enough to boil like the fluid in the brake calipers.

2012YellowBoss said:
When you switched to DOT 4 did you flush all the DOT 3 from the clutch hydraulic system?

There should be no reason to bleed the clutch system fluid. It will not get hot enough to boil like the fluid in the brake calipers.
Still..... "enquiring minds want to know". Many are using DOT 4, but I haven't seen anyone directly confirm for sure that they have DOT 4 in the clutch sysem. Actually, Scott, you might be one,though. When you had the clutch replaced did they fill the system with DOT 4?

Yes they did bleed the system, having a dot 3 or 4 will not make the system feel any different. I did put a high volume line on mine and that helped with the feel or smoothness of the pedal. It is not something I would have gone out of my way to do unless working in there anyway. I do feel better about having the whole system with the same fluid but I was never worried about boiling the fluid.

2012YellowBoss said:
You should take it to the dealer even if they do not fix it right away. Ford will not use resources to find a proper fix until there are enough reports of the problem. Also if this causes system damage down the road you will have a record of the problem documented with them.

Scott, you are right, it is just more of a time issue. It does not do it all the time either so who knows if I can get it to replicate the issue for the dealer. I also do not like the idea of letting the dealer drive the car in this case because they would have to drive it hard in order to get it to replicate the issue. I will probably take it in anyway so that I can at least get it documented.

Cole

2012YellowBoss said:

Still..... "enquiring minds want to know". Many are using DOT 4, but I haven't seen anyone directly confirm for sure that they have DOT 4 in the clutch sysem. Actually, Scott, you might be one,though. When you had the clutch replaced did they fill the system with DOT 4?

No, I did not bleed the clutch because I do not see any reason to like Scott said. I have seen other people besides Scott who have bled the clutch and still reported these problems.

I don't see why they will need to test drive it. I explained to my dealer the first time this happened, I figured it was a one time thing so I was not worried. The SM took it seriously but was unsure of a fix, anyway it was noted. When it happened the second time they contacted engineering about the issue, again they did not need to test drive it. One because this is not a new problem, there is history with the sticking clutch. Two because it is very intermittent and they knew they could drive it for weeks and the problem would most likely not show up again.

It was Ford engineering that told them to replace the pressure plate (and clutch). So far it has not happened again but I also added the high flow line and shifter at the same time.

Scott, do you know if the clutch and pressure plate were replaced with the same parts that came out of the car, or has there been an upgrade to these parts since the early builds?

How many people that track there car regularly have not had clutch or shifting issues?

BossJockey said:
Scott, do you know if the clutch and pressure plate were replaced with the same parts that came out of the car, or has there been an upgrade to these parts since the early builds?

How many people that track there car regularly have not had clutch or shifting issues?

As far as I know it was the same parts, no upgrades. I guess I should have asked to look at the part numbers but I just took the SM's word on this. The techs at the dealer did not see anything wrong with the parts that were removed and the clutch itself looked better then I expected. Granted they are not factory engineers looking at this through a microscope.

It happens to people on the street and the track, it is more of a high RPM shift problem then a street vs track problem.

Finally got the Boss into the dealer today for the clutch issues. I am working directly with the Service Manager which has been very helpful. They are currently waiting on a response from Ford for the second time. The first response was I'm over revving the engine and that the clutch is not designed for 7200rpm shifts. "So stop doing that and it will be fine" Ford says. Then he reminded Ford its a Boss with a 7500rpm redline, oops back to the drawing board. I believe the pressure plate is too heavy and weak to overcome ertia at high rpm. Dropping the shift to 6900 seems to fix the problem. I'll post outcome when all is said and done.

V/r Chris

Well Ford's answer is still the same. Clutch is not designed for high rpm shifts and this is consider normal operation less accompanied by other more severe issues(not defined). Well I for one do not feel this is normal operation. I decided to pick the Boss up and push for a better response/fix to the problem while still enjoying the wonders of the Boss. Truthfully I didn't really expect Ford to own up. That would just open the flood gates to money they don't want to spend.

Contact customer service, I had mine fixed but I also have a service dept. that works with me. I am not saying they are giving away the farm but they know BS when they hear it and know I am not looking for free parts. If I had to guess it sounds like the dealer you are working with is not giving you the whole story, Ford did not argue with my dealer about the problem but worked with them and recommended a fix which included a pressure plate and clutch.

The car has a red line of 7500 plain and simple, the car needs to work within that range. On top of that, this is not a new problem or even limited to the Boss or 2012 cars.

What 2012 said. Ford has been good with things like that for all our work trucks and stuff, and when I called customer service for an issue with the Boss they set up the appointment for me to get it fixed locally. Try contacting Ford corporate.

That is my intentions. I just wasn't going to let the car set at the dealership while I worked with the dealer/Ford to resolve problem. 2012YellowBoss you had the same problem and a new clutch/pressure plate has fixed your problem to date correct? I will be pushing for new clutch/pressure plate as daily driveability sucks now. My clutch is just really soft and engagement is on the floor. Anyone have the correct Ford Customer Service number?

Thanks for the advice guys, Chris

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel