The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Still Happy with Roush Axle Backs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getting the itch to change out my stock mufflers, and I think I'm zeroing in on the Roush axle backs. Those that have put them on their Boss, are you still glad you did? Are they holding up well? Any input would be much appreciated!

Zero issues; love them; seem to get better every day like getting better with age.....I am a huge Corsa Extremes fan(had those on previously and still have them) but I also swap my axlebacks out every quarter. I put the Roush Axlebacks on and have not swapped them out yet.....love them. Lots of good feedback also on
the Boss302forum.com

I've heard issues with them rusting at the welds and eventually falling apart. Had a buddy that had them on his v6 Mustang and they fell apart at the welds because of rust. Not sure how different the v6 are compared to the larger v8 mufflers though. I would assume they are about the same except size.

Here in Michigan had the car stored for the winter, maybe 700 miles on the Roush axlebacks and they are rusting at the weld seams. It was more humid then normal but still the car wasn't covered all winter to trap moisture. Still enjoy the sound but maybe could be a bit louder.

bulldogracer said:
Here in Michigan had the car stored for the winter, maybe 700 miles on the Roush axlebacks and they are rusting at the weld seams. It was more humid then normal but still the car wasn't covered all winter to trap moisture. Still enjoy the sound but maybe could be a bit louder.
409 stainless steel, which these are supposed to be made from, is designed to develop a slight surface rust that's supposed to prevent further rust. Is the rust going through the welds or is it a light rust?

These seem to be a great bang for the buck, great sound, but will they hold up for the many years I plan to own my Boss?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Fiddler49 said:
409 stainless steel, which these are supposed to be made from, is designed to develop a slight surface rust that's supposed to prevent further rust. Is the rust going through the welds or is it a light rust?

These seem to be a great bang for the buck, great sound, but will they hold up for the many years I plan to own my Boss?
yeah but what welding wire did they use....stainless I doubt it more than likely its mild steel used in the welds (standard mig wire) and that will indeed rust

Enjoy mine every time I start it up!

Sound gets better with age. No rust issues here.

I'm getting ready to do Jegs Cat Deletes. Roush's are plenty loud, I just want to make it ridiculous and add AED performance, drag and lopey idle tunes.

So according to other forums, either Roush has changed the construction of their mufflers to fix the rust issue, or you can fix it yourself by drilling a weep hole near the inlet to drain any collected water (potentially causing the rust). Anyone have any additional info?

I found that same info in the other forums. When I ordered my Roush AB's, they came pre-drilled. So, presumably, this fixes the drainage issue. I would call Roush and get it straight from the horses mouth. I love my Roush Extremes.....

TMO Supporting Vendors