The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

stock 2011 coyote oil pan on track?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've searched but can't find a clear answer.... should I upgrade the oil pan in my totally stock 2011 GT / Coyote before using 200tw or similar track focused tires during HPDE track days, or is that overkill? The motor and drivetrain is 100 percent stock not even a tune. I'm slightly worried about oil starvation with stickier tires.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've searched but can't find a clear answer.... should I upgrade the oil pan in my totally stock 2011 GT / Coyote before using 200tw or similar track focused tires during HPDE track days, or is that overkill? The motor and drivetrain is 100 percent stock not even a tune. I'm slightly worried about oil starvation with stickier tires.

Thanks!
I've ran several completely stock S197 Mustangs on track for years with the oem oil pan without issue since 2012. The tires ranged from stock to 305/30/19 RE71s and RS4. My current 2017 Mustang GT/PP is stock engine/tune wise with over 3000 track miles without a single engine issue. Both my 2012 and 2013 Mustangs had similar track miles out issue as well.

With that said upgrading the oil pan is a good idea, but to date I've had no issues with Gen 1 or Gen 2 coyote OEM oil pans. A better oiling system is always a plus, but personally if I did any oiling upgrade my first choice would be an oil cooler(which I don't have), but otherwise I say press as is at your own risk of course.

As for the oil cooler I mentioned unless its a full out race build I'd pass on that as well (as I have). Just keep the revs below 6800 and all should be fine. Excessive RPMs build tremendous heat in coyotes on track.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I've ran several completely stock S197 Mustangs on track for years with the oem oil pan without issue since 2012. The tires ranged from stock to 305/30/19 RE71s and RS4. My current 2017 Mustang GT/PP is stock engine/tune wise with over 3000 track miles without a single engine issue. Both my 2012 and 2013 Mustangs had similar track miles out issue as well.

With that said upgrading the oil pan is a good idea, but to date I've had no issues with Gen 1 or Gen 2 coyote OEM oil pans. A better oiling system is always a plus, but personally if I did any oiling upgrade my first choice would be an oil cooler(which I don't have), but otherwise I say press as is at your own risk of course.

As for the oil cooler I mentioned unless its a full out race build I'd pass on that as well (as I have). Just keep the revs below 6800 and all should be fine. Excessive RPMs build tremendous heat in coyotes on track.

I'm in tune with you on all this, matches my experience as well. 2016 GT/PP, stock engine except for Ford power pack 2 and I never go near the 7250 redline that comes with that tune.

Until today. Now running 100TW tires and I had a drop in pressure to 25 lbs for a second or two in a right hand corner. I had my significant other in the passenger seat and her job was to watch that gauge, that was the only time it did that. But now I'm wondering if a better oil pan is a good investment?

Thanks for the replies, they are helpful and much appreciated.

I did find this thread from a few years ago but it seems to pertain to the gen2 coyote and I'm unclear on the oiling differences between gen1 and gen2: https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/coyote-oil-flow-on-road-course-with-sticky-rubber.12753/

Overall it sounds like although better oiling is always good the stock system is sufficient for the HPDE stuff I am doing. I've done a bunch of track days on MPSS tires and haven't noticed any problems yet.

By the way, does anybody know how the "overfill one quart" strategy from the early days of the gen1 played out over time? Seems most of those posts are from 8 years ago or so.... Is that still recommended best practice for a gen1 coyote on track? It seems the extra oil could contribute to excessive windage and some of the problems described in the above linked thread, no?

@HackBoss, I did install the FRPP boss oil cooler with a fluidyne radiator and that has worked well. But the motor and drivetrain is all stock.

Thanks again for the help and insight.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
By the way, does anybody know how the "overfill one quart" strategy from the early days of the gen1 played out over time? Seems most of those posts are from 8 years ago or so.... Is that still recommended best practice for a gen1 coyote on track? It seems the extra oil could contribute to excessive windage and some of the problems described in the above linked thread, no?

Actually Yes! And in this case, more is not always better.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
It was to your question/answer no? below.

‘It seems the extra oil could contribute to excessive windage and some of the problems described in the above linked thread, no?’

Yes, extra oil causes problems. One Example: increased oil spray (micro vapor) windage; Just think about the increased oil vapor introduced in the intake system thru the PCV system & crusting on the cut face side of the intake valves. Increased oil consumption follows.

Just make sure the oil pan you use has oil sump baffles & I think your application may come with proper baffles. But make sure.

PS: Be careful doing burnout doughnuts in my opinion, of course.

TMO Supporting Vendors