The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stock hood weight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Thanks fellas. I was thinking of adding this carbon fiber hood. What do you think?

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/TC10025-A61/2010-2012-Mustang-GT--V6-TruCarbon-RTF-Ram-Air-Hood-Carbon-Fiber.html

Has ram air and heat extractors too.

Each to his own but, ah, no. Ugly, heavy (30 lbs for carbon fiber?!) and ram air? AND more expensive than the 302S hood. Just get the real thing from Tiger Racing.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Sesshomurai

CPTMac689 said:
Each to his own but, ah, no. Ugly, heavy (30 lbs for carbon fiber?!) and ram air? AND more expensive than the 302S hood. Just get the real thing from Tiger Racing.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm look for honest opinions. Sometimes I look at something and can't tell if it looks good or not. I'm still torn on it, but I do like the tiger racing hood too.

Where can you buy the tiger racing hood? I had trouble finding it on g**gle.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
are you buying a hood for looks or to save weight or to get heat out of the engine bay? that will greatly determine what hood I would get.

me personally I dont like the tiger racing hood. I am old school I like this hood.
http://www.cervinis.com/10-12mustang-cobra-r-hood.html
its for looks nothing else. I know it weighs more than the stock hood and does nothing to get more heat out of the hood. Just looks cool.
yhst-131964867535317_2224_295893443

darreng505 said:
Thanks. Yeah, I'm look for honest opinions. Sometimes I look at something and can't tell if it looks good or not. I'm still torn on it, but I do like the tiger racing hood too.

Here you go. I met Kenny yesterday and he was really talking up the downforce advantages of this hood.

http://store.kennybrown.com/product/aerodynamics/fiberglass-heat-extracting-street-hood-2010-2012-mustang

5 DOT 0 said:
darreng505 said:

Here you go. I met Kenny yesterday and he was really talking up the downforce advantages of this hood.

http://store.kennybrown.com/product/aerodynamics/fiberglass-heat-extracting-street-hood-2010-2012-mustang

Don't pay attention to the weight posted on this link. That's just the shipping weight. The actual weight is significantly less than stock.

The only real potential drawback to the Tiger Racing hood is the way it will allow water to get into the engine compartment. For me that is not such a big issue. The car is garage kept and when driving the airflow and vent direction would protect from any significant rain entering. It would only be while sitting outside or washing that any water would enter. If/when I decided to get this hood I'll just make sure to put something over the engine when washing. I may even fab up a removable rain duct to attach under the hood. Leave it on all of the time except on track days.

Oh, and Justin is right. It's YOUR car. Decide what your goals/wants are and be happy! These are awesome cars and people are taking them in a lot of different directions. Modding is fun and the discussion/decision part is at least 1/2 of it!

Sesshomurai

Justin said:
are you buying a hood for looks or to save weight or to get heat out of the engine bay?

All of the above if possible. Cervinis has a bunch of hood options but I don't want anything more audacious than the OEM hood (which I like btw and there's a carbon fiber version of it).
I also ordered a pair of carbon fiber heat extractor vents[1] and will see if I can get them installed on my OEM boss hood as one option.

The other issue I will be faced with is paint. I'm not sure I can get the yellow blaze paint for the hood and that's why I was looking at full carbon fiber hoods...

[1] http://www.americanmuscle.com/bmc-hood-vents-cf.html#fitment

darreng505, unless you have a cone filter or open the top of the airbox, the ram air will not do anything. It might even raise backpressure in the engine bay a little making it harder for air to get through the radiator. The vents would probably more than make up for it, but my personal opinion is that I do not like scoops that are cosmetic.

Justin, this one is similar to the one you posted but narrower in the hump. I have always liked these, and this one has some vents in the back of the hump to allow a little air to flow through there. I guess you can't just leave the back open since it is fiberglass

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/TF10025-A49-3/2010-2012-Mustang-Trufiber-3-Inch-Cowl-Hood.html

tf10025_a49_3_trufiber_2010_2011_2012_mustang_hood.jpg

Leaving the back open on a cowl INDUCTION hood allows air to enter when the car is moving NOT escape. Hood scoops for the most part are less than useless. Vents are about the only things that work they have some function that makes a difference and gives you some improvement in performance for your money.

I throw a sheet of plastic over my engine when washing the car. I don't leave it in the rain even thought it has been caught in a few down pours. I have driven it in torrential rain with my Tiger hood and had no problems. I did add a small shield on the corner of my open air box but that is it.

My carbon hood weighed 14.5lbs.

IMG_2219.png

I don't see how the cowl would allow air in when vents would not, it is also at a lower pressure area so it should allow more air out than vents near the middle. Cowl induction on drag cars works because they suck in so much air it pulls it in, but there is nothing sucking in air other than the front grill because of pressure. But I'm no engineer, someone could test it by putting string there and a camera and seeing what happens.

It is essentially the same as removing the weatherstripping at the back which people claim lowers engine temps by allowing more flow.

CaliMR said:
I don't see how the cowl would allow air in when vents would not, it is also at a lower pressure area so it should allow more air out than vents near the middle. Cowl induction on drag cars works because they suck in so much air it pulls it in, but there is nothing sucking in air other than the front grill because of pressure. But I'm no engineer, someone could test it by putting string there and a camera and seeing what happens.

It is essentially the same as removing the weatherstripping at the back which people claim lowers engine temps by allowing more flow.

Sorry but you are mistaken the cowl is a high pressure area not a low pressure area. Air builds up in front of the windshield pushing its way under the hood if there is an opening. That is where your ventilation for the car gets it air. Look at where your vents for the interior are facing forward under the hood but behind the seal and they get fresh air under pressure.

Sesshomurai

CaliMR said:
darreng505, unless you have a cone filter or open the top of the airbox, the ram air will not do anything. It might even raise backpressure in the engine bay a little making it harder for air to get through the radiator. The vents would probably more than make up for it, but my personal opinion is that I do not like scoops that are cosmetic.

Yeah, point taken. I shot an email to the supplier (stage 3 motorsports?) and asked them if I had to modify the air filter compartment to get the ram air to link in. Not sure how I feel about that or if there's another part for it. I don't like cosmetic stuff at this stage. I'm building a track and eventually full-on race. car.

EDIT: Here's the OEM carbon fiber hood I'll probably go with, but might still mod it to add the vents.
http://www.mrbodykit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_98_910&products_id=2726

TMO Supporting Vendors