The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stock P Zeros are scary when very hot

I am noticing that the stock P zeros are losing traction in a greasy scary way.
As if I am not driving the Boss.

From waterford hills raceway ( 90 F)

Better tires are a must
 
152
0
I guess I didn't feel they fell off that much during a 20 minute session on a 3.6 mile road course (Autobahn). I have the same mods as you on my '13. I thought I was pushing hard and was passing cars in my novice group, but maybe you drive harder. 84 degrees that day.
 
13Boss#3328 said:
I am noticing that the stock P zeros are losing traction in a greasy scary way.
As if I am not driving the Boss.

From waterford hills raceway ( 90 F)

Better tires are a must

Also scary when cold...
 
367
1
I'm curious - what pressures did you run and how long was each lapping session?
I found that for a showroom stock car with factory tires, it was fine. I'm no big fan of the P zero, but I did not encounter the limitations that you describe.

The grip does fall off with heat, but nothing unmanageable.
But I'll be curious to hear your findings when you try another tire :) I too will be switching tires (PSS) for next season.
 
Nothing wrong with your set up that a set of Pilot Super Sports won't fix (they're better in the wet, too).
 
I was trying to keep the pressure around high 30s-41
I probably exaggerated a little bit being "scary" but I just did not feel confident this time, they were greasy and mushy.

Anyway I am switching to g-force Rivals with some 18 inch Enkeis and will keep the stock setup for street use from and to the track
 
I found the P-Zeros were happiest for me in the low 30's. They will pick up several degrees during a session, and at higher starting temperatures the contact patch will be smaller than ideal, IMO.

I hear good things about the Rivals, not least of which is they are more affordable than PSS's.
 
13Boss#3328 said:
Anyway I am switching to g-force Rivals with some 18 inch Enkeis and will keep the stock setup for street use from and to the track
In for an update on the Rivals. I plan on buying a set as soon as my Hankook RS3's wear out. BTW the Hankook's were a HUGE improvement over my worn Pirelli's. I have PSS on my street wheels and really like them a lot. Too bad they'll never see any rain. ::)
 
NFSBOSS said:
In for an update on the Rivals. I plan on buying a set as soon as my Hankook RS3's wear out. BTW the Hankook's were a HUGE improvement over my worn Pirelli's. I have PSS on my street wheels and really like them a lot. Too bad they'll never see any rain. ::)

What wheels do you use?
 
The stockers are fun because you can throttle steer the car on dry pavement easily. Not so good for traction though. They might be better on hot pavement, ( some of you southerners chime in) only gets to be 75-80 degrees here so not really hot. Easy to hang the tail out in second and third with stock tires.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
The tires are useless to me at this point all it does is spin first through fourth no matter the temp out. I think my tires are baked and I haven't been done a singe burnout or drove on the track with them all street miles.
 

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
124
0
The Stock tires are like magnets for nails.... was driving today and low tire pressure light cam on... Rt Rear only had 10lbs of air... Got it to Sayville Ford On Long Island.. Tire plugged and back out on the road in 30 mins... NICE!! With no spare I was really getting worried :( Is it a good idea to have that fix a flat stuff in the car or something similar???
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
VWGTI123 said:
The Stock tires are like magnets for nails.... was driving today and low tire pressure light cam on... Rt Rear only had 10lbs of air... Got it to Sayville Ford On Long Island.. Tire plugged and back out on the road in 30 mins... NICE!! With no spare I was really getting worried :( Is it a good idea to have that fix a flat stuff in the car or something similar???
comes stock with fix a flat repair kit in the trunk.....
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top