The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stock Seat Back Latch Broke - Replacement Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had to cut my last track day short because my seat back wouldn't stay latched. I have a S550 with the heated/cooled seats. The right side gear would over-run a few teeth whenever I would make a 1G+ left tun. It turned into a safety concern pretty quickly.

I would love to find a nice set of Recaro seats with high bolster sides for more support, but I sat in a new Mustang with Recaro seats and I don't fit in it with my helmet on. I am too tall.

Is there such a thing as a Recaro (or other reputable brand) race style seat that is lower or at least as low as the stock luxury seat? Am I going to be stuck with a factory luxury seats? If so, should I put an adjustable harness bar in the car to help support the back?

I am also considering a full-blown fixed back race seat... but I don't know if I will be up against the same type of fitment issue.

Any feedback and/or recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Spaz

The Recaro seats do have a height adjustment. Was it lowered all the way? How tall are you? I'm 6'2"+ and have enough room not to hit the roof with my helmet on.

Your car should still be under warranty so have Ford fix your seat. 36 month warranty for something like that.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel