The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stock springs vs T springs???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have been reading every thread I can on spring choices and still can't make up my mind. I bought my 13 Boss in December and immediately garaged it. It was lowered with pretty aggressive Eibach Sportline springs according to the empty box. The car was almost sitting on the ground. The streets right now around Philly look like a bombed-out war zone. The car has almost no compliance and I just can't take it.

So I just bought some T springs off a BMO member and was going to swap them out. Now as I look at the stats and pics of those springs on other cars I am wondering if they are going to be that much different. I need to raise the car a bit (don't like the slammed look anyway) and soften the ride. I plan on gradually doing some track days but not until next year. So I can always go a different direction if I need to but right now.......is stock my best choice to get back a more "normal" ride or will the T springs be a livable compromise??

T springs don't really change the front ride height much from the stock springs, most of the change is with the rear springs. I would imagine most of your concerns for ground clearance is with the front, not the rear.

With that in mind, I would try the T springs. I think you'll gain a little clearance up front, and set yourself up for future track days. I have the T springs and I like them.

It's really more the appearance that I don't like and the spring rate. I just want a bit more spring compliance for the rough roads around here but still get the handling improvements. Maybe a more progressive spring is what I mean. If the ride height was just a half inch higher I think I would be satisfied with the look as still get a handling benefit and less brake dive.

Then I would move to the P-spring, the rates are close,the fronts are the same, rears are softer but only drop a inch. Better spring travel. Will have to match them with a good strut and shock as with any aftermarket spring. I would go with Koni or Bilstines. Koni for track, the Bilstines for street. If you need to go a tad cheaper the the D-Sprcs will work in a pinch.

Thanks. Not ready to do any shock/strut changes right now. If I do decide to really do more track work then I will prepare the car right. I need to keep the current mechanicals and just find the best spring. Yes it's a compromise but it will have to do.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Doc

I went with the P springs and stock shocks and struts.

Barely noticed any difference in ride. Took away the 4x4 look without dropping the car in the weeds.

Shop around of a deal, they exist.

There were a few members who went from P springs to coils overs recently. Maybe one of them can hook you up with a used set.

Good luck.

Damn.......I have Phoenix Motorsports doing the springs on Monday. I am lucky to have that place right near my home. I may just throw the T springs on and see what happens. I can always swap them out myself with the P's if I find them. Just short on time and don't feel like doing it myself.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I thought about this for quite some time, and I went with the Ford Racing Boss specific T springs. It was the only spring set I could find that keeps the Boss 302 steering geometry intact by only lowering the front of the car by less than a half inch.

The rear springs lower the car just a bit less than 1-1/2", which keeps about a 1/4" rake on the car.

By keeping the front ride height within a 1/2" of OEM spec, you won't have to make other changes, like bump-steer, etc. I just had the car aligned at my Ford dealership. It turned out well and the handling is much better with less brake dive.

I ran this way for about a year, 4,000 miles, then installed Koni Sports, (Yellows), found this was another big improvement. The adjustment range on the Konis are much better than the OEM units and are much more noticeable to this Driver.

Good luck in your decision,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Thanks Dave for that input.......still racking my brain with this. I actually ordered the P springs but I am not sure which way I am going to go. Your thoughts make sense......just don't know how stiff the ride will be with the T springs. I want something softer than the Sportlines but better than stock......that leaves a lot of possibilities.

OP - Have you tried backing off your dampers to position 1?

BMR springs have about the softest spring rates, if I recall correctly.

The Ts are basically a P front and a K rear combo, right? I ran Ps for a while and they are not super stiff at all and you still have good ground clearance. P springs with the dampers on 2 or 1 rides very nicely (actually a little TOO nicely for my tastes).

Haven't even had a chance to work on the shock settings yet. Could be on the hardest setting for all I know. Definitely need to check on that.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
That is a good thought to check the settings on the dampeners, the factory default setting when released from the Mod Shop were 2 front and rear.

Under street conditions run a click softer on the rear, example 2 front and 1 rear. On the stock set up for street, I ran 3 front and 2 rear.

Also look at your Boss 302 Supplemental Owners Manual, it has a section on shock settings.

Good luck,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

East Norriton.......not far off 202. About 20 min from King of Prussia and Plymouth Meeting. I hit West Chester now and then for dinner......love that place.

come down to West Chester cars & coffee in dilworthtown on 202 on Sat. It would be nice to see another Boss show up.

Dark Horse

2012 BOSS 302 LS 541
I had the Sportline's on for a month and decided I couldn't get them off quick enough. With the supplied bump stops i only had about 3/8" travel in the rear before stops started to compress. Needless to say any minor bump in the road was potentially a traumatic experience. :eek: The final straw that broke the camels back came during my first track outing with the new suspension when the rear end started hoping in the middle of a speed brake zone. I thought the rear end exploded on me it was so violent. I ended up swapping the Sportline's for a set of P springs and have been very pleased with the results.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel