The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stock Stereo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Part 1:

Below are measurements that I took of the frequency response of the right rear channel at various frequencies. These are the first measurements taken with the speaker disconnected. Since I don't know what the topology of the amplifier is, these curves might change with the speaker, and thus the load, connected. It is clear to see that the stock stereo has a less than perfect flat response curve. This might change with a load connected but I ran out of time tonight to make these measurements. I will take those tomorrow and post if appreciably different than what I measured below.

The test setup was essentially a DVM attached to the speaker wires that feed the right rear speaker with the voltage output normalized to 0dB at 1000Hz by adjusting the volume control while playing a test track off of CD. I created a test CD using Sound Forge with sine waves at full scale digital (0dB FS) at the frequencies in the graph and played each track and then measured the output voltage at the speaker connector, again, with the speaker disconnected. Plugging these into a spreadsheet and converting the voltage levels to decibels through the equation level(dB)=20log V where V = the voltage measured on the DVM.

The graphs start with both bass and treble tone controls at the center setting (flat response). The bass boost is with the bass tone control set to max and the treble set to flat. Bass cut is with the bass tone control set to min and the treble at flat. Treble boost and cut are similar to bass boost and cut with the bass tone control set to flat.

These are not great response curves.

The other thing that hampers the sound quality from the stock system is that the speakers in the door are behind two sets of perforated speaker grilles. One set is, of course, the holes in the door panel and the other set are the holes in the cover over the speaker itself. Since these don't line up with each other at all, the sound eminated from the speakers in the door must travel through a set of offset holes which causes a terrible pattern of reflections within the door which also detracts from sound quality. Lots of high frequency distortion will result.

flat.jpg

bassboost.jpg

basscut.jpg

trebleboost.jpg

treblecut.jpg

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Well, I wouldn't mind if it were just the speakers. I'm afraid that the actual stereo is not capable of providing the signal even if the speakers are replaced. This is my main concern now! The frequency response looks terrible. But, I have to say, what it lacks in tunes, it WAY makes up for in performance!

The problem with the graph is that the radio has an auto Eq that will vary depending on the db level out from the amp. I did a spectral analysis with the speakers and the eq helps to compensate for the interior sound absorption and road noise and does and really bad job. All in all the stereo sucks and the speakers make it worse. Better speakers do improve the sound but it still sucks.

Our cars have radios? :p

In all seriousness the radio and speakers do suck. Because of this I hardly use it and prefer to just roll the windows down and listen to the tunes the engine makes for me.

cbj5259 said:
Our cars have radios? :p

In all seriousness the radio and speakers do suck. Because of this I hardly use it and prefer to just roll the windows down and listen to the tunes the engine makes for me.

As I was reading this thread I was thinking the same thing, what radio? I prefer the noises the engine makes so a serious sound system would be a waste for me (for the first time in any car I've had).

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
mmm, I agree except for when I am sitting in traffic and there is no way to get those beautiful sounds unless you sit there revving your engine, thus looking like a big J- Hole!

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
jneary said:
mmm, I agree except for when I am sitting in traffic and there is no way to get those beautiful sounds unless you sit there revving your engine, thus looking like a big J- Hole!

Agree! And I live in AZ where it's 10000 degreees in your car everyday this time of year. Someone up in Phoenix did a youtube video where they actually baked a pan of cookies in the cars front window recently. So windows stay up and the AC is usually on high.

I have driven my Boss from Detroit to Charlotte and back. It's nice to have some music on a 12+ hour drive each way but listener fatigue set in within a half hour of turning the radio on. It is good for nothing except background music like Muzak in an elevator. There's no excuse for this in 2013.

NJ
Better door speakers make a big difference. Either a trunk sub or premium door panels with the sub enclosure and some good 8" sub/midbass drivers makes a very big difference. Easy to run wiring in these cars and mount amp(s) on the underside of the rear deck. Even with the stock deck it was well worth the effort.

I used a lot of JL stuff and have been very happy. I also have some write-ups posted on svtperformance site if you're interested in seeing more detail.

Theviking said:
Better door speakers make a big difference. Either a trunk sub or premium door panels with the sub enclosure and some good 8" sub/midbass drivers makes a very big difference. Easy to run wiring in these cars and mount amp(s) on the underside of the rear deck. Even with the stock deck it was well worth the effort.

I used and lot of JL stuff and have been very happy. I also have some write-ups posted on svtperformance site if you're interested in seeing more detail.

I used the JL stuff too, I put the amps and JBL sound processor in the spare tire well and the only thing you see in the trunk is the sub.

Just replacing the stock speakers doesn't help. The factory equalization coming from the head unit doesn't allow for aftermarket speakers to be used properly. You really need something like a JL CleanSweep.

NJ
likeaboss302 said:
Just replacing the stock speakers doesn't help. The factory equalization coming from the head unit doesn't allow for aftermarket speakers to be used properly. You really need something like a JL CleanSweep.

A lot of people out there would (have) said otherwise. First thing I changed out were the stock door speakers for a set of JL C5-570x. This really brought out a ton of additional detail in the vocals and midrange. On the downside, I would say they are somewhat more directional than the stock speakers and not 100% PnP. These speakers contain a external crossover which I mounted on the door panel high up about midway back. But the C2's and many other brands use an integrated crossover which makes the install truly PnP with the Metra speaker adapters.

My car came with the Shaker 1000 trunk sub so I updated that next. Obviously the Boss cars don't have this as an option but the wiring and remote bass knob mount would still apply. I have since replaced the whole Shaker 1000 enclosure with a JL Stealthbox and mounted the amp up under the rear deck.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/837726-jl-shaker-1000-a.html

The door subs really sound horrible in the stock setup but the enclosure is rather nice. So I swapped out the stock 8" drivers for a set of JL ZR800's and an XD400/4 amp bridged. IMO this alone would satisfy most peoples needs for bass as the output is very impressive. Of course on a Boss this would require new door panels which is why I would probably suggest just getting the trunk sub instead. But the improvement over stock is honestly remarkable, these are some very nice speakers. This was a discussion where I posted some of the pics/details on the install.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/908863-best-stock-replacement-speakers.html

I've seen pictures of racered302 spare tire well setup and think that really looks awesome. If I wasn't hell bent on keeping and actual spare they would be another nice way to go. I would personally start with a set of door speakers and see what you think. It won't solve the bass issue but a trunk or door sub setup along with something like a LC2i will work wonders over the stock setup.

We didn't get it for the stereo. It could have had an empty hole in the dash where the stereo was suppose to be. I would still love it.

NewBossowner said:
We didn't get it for the stereo. It could have had an empty hole in the dash where the stereo was suppose to be. I would still love it.

That's the way my 2004 Mitsu Lancer Evo 8 RS came from the factory...

No ABS, no power windows and no power door locks either..

Ah, the good old days of homologation specials.

As far as I'm concernced, the world ended in 1995 with the implementation of OBDII for the 1996 model year.

;-)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NewBossowner said:
True I didnt get it for the stereo but I surely wouldnt want it with no stereo. I would have loved to have a USB port on my boss even the shaker system would have been a nice option. I DD my boss and I dont take it to the track. They could ditch the CD player....do they still make CDs?

TMO Supporting Vendors