The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stock vs. Modified

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Ok, so I'm new to the Boss only had it a month and yesterday I entered it into the local Mustang club's annual car show which was a show just for Fords. Lot's of very cool cars and trucks that had some crazy mods done on them. And oh by the way it got lots of attention and quite a few votes for the 2005 to present stock Ford class. My reasoning for buying the boss, or at least how I sold it to the wife, was that they are limited edition cars and they will be worth some serious money someday. So I bought the 2013 Black LS and drive it mainly on the weekends. Now my question is this; do you all beleive they will be worth more completely stock or would adding mods be better? Thanks for your opinions!

It'll be worth more completely stock in the long run, unless it has a bona-fide race history in a significant series. That said the car will lose value for 15 years then slowly creep back up to where it sold for in about 30 years! Keep the wife believing it's an investment, but you should know it's a horrible one.

dsekae1021 said:
Ok, so I'm new to the Boss only had it a month and yesterday I entered it into the local Mustang club's annual car show which was a show just for Fords. Lot's of very cool cars and trucks that had some crazy mods done on them. And oh by the way it got lots of attention and quite a few votes for the 2005 to present stock Ford class. My reasoning for buying the boss, or at least how I sold it to the wife, was that they are limited edition cars and they will be worth some serious money someday. So I bought the 2013 Black LS and drive it mainly on the weekends. Now my question is this; do you all beleive they will be worth more completely stock or would adding mods be better? Thanks for your opinions!

Speculating about future values of our cars is, well, speculative. Who the hell knows?

That said, look at the collector car market today as a guide. Other than superbly restored show-winning cars, unrestored, unmodified low-mile "survivor" '69 and '70 Boss 302s that have their original numbers matching engines and documented histories generally have the highest collector value (recall that early B2s had piston skirt cracking problems, not to mention most were thrashed on the street and track leading to early engine demise). Only original race cars with documented race histories are worth more. Same goes pretty much for any '60s/early '70s muscle car. Low mileage, original/unmolested cars always bring more money.

That doesn't mean you can't mod your car. Mod away! Generally speaking any kind of "bolt on" mod that is fairly easily reversible shouldn't affect the value much, if any. Just hang on to all the original parts from your car if at all possible.

Bottom line: everybody agrees these cars will be collectible someday. When that is, and what they'll be worth is anybody's guess. If it's an investment you're after, buy some Berkshire Hathaway stock. Otherwise, just drive and enjoy your Boss LS. After all, what good are these cars sitting in a garage if you can't drive and enjoy 'em?

dabossinne said:
Speculating about future values of our cars is, well, speculative. Who the hell knows?

That said, look at the collector car market today as a guide. Other than superbly restored show-winning cars, unrestored, unmodified low-mile "survivor" '69 and '70 Boss 302s that have their original numbers matching engines and documented histories generally have the highest collector value (recall that early B2s had piston skirt cracking problems, not to mention most were thrashed on the street and track leading to early engine demise). Only original race cars with documented race histories are worth more. Same goes pretty much for any '60s/early '70s muscle car. Low mileage, original/unmolested cars always bring more money.

That doesn't mean you can't mod your car. Mod away! Generally speaking any kind of "bolt on" mod that is fairly easily reversible shouldn't affect the value much, if any. Just hang on to all the original parts from your car if at all possible.

Bottom line: everybody agrees these cars will be collectible someday. When that is, and what they'll be worth is anybody's guess. If it's an investment you're after, buy some Berkshire Hathaway stock. Otherwise, just drive and enjoy your Boss LS. After all, what good are these cars sitting in a garage if you can't drive and enjoy 'em?

Amen Brotha!!!

The degree of mods to your car will dictate the future value of your Boss. The track rat cars won't fetch as much as the garage queens. And the ones in between (like mine ) will depend on upkeep & mileage. Attrition will take it's toll on our Boss numbers, further enhancing the value of the surviving Bosses. I'm driving mine like there's no tomorrow & let my son worry about selling it down the road ( if he wants to ).... ;)

Fat Boss said:
It'll be worth more completely stock in the long run, unless it has a bona-fide race history in a significant series. That said the car will lose value for 15 years then slowly creep back up to where it sold for in about 30 years! Keep the wife believing it's an investment, but you should know it's a horrible one.
This pretty well covers it. ;)

They are only original once...

Probably not a great investment unless you are so rich that you can buy two, one to garage and one to drive. If you buy a Boss just to garage, I think you miss the point of the car. I use mine on the weekends and at night sometimes. I love driving it, but do watch the mileage.

Dave

Cars are mostly a bad investment. Knowing which ones will be worth something and which won't is a crap shoot. Frankly, I don't believe we will ever see collectable cars like we saw coming out of the 60's and 70's again. I will say we are also in brand new territory with the Boss as it is a limited production re-creation of an original limited production car. The bottom line is we just don't know. What I do know is that its a great car and fun to drive and be seen in, so enjoy it for what its worth now.

i can swing either way as long as one side of the other does not try to push there opinion on me if i disagree. its one thing that sets me off. its your car, do what you want to it...treat it the way you want....you only live once.

steve-o

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Stock is always better, unless like what was mentioned, a famous race car.
People need to remember, these cars wont be much of a collectors car in the future, theres way too many people parking them so in 20plus yrs there will still be lots of them tucked away. Enjoy the car,
Also remember theres a few in 2012 and 2013 that were made as 1of 1 cars with special paint that wasent in production.

TMO Supporting Vendors