The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Street/Canyon Build Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Would have to agree you did a bunch of cool items and she would be done for many of us, but one last mod will wake up all those solid upgrades ------- tires and wheels.

A set of aggressive 200 TWR tires and a bit wider wheels will increase your grip well over 1 g --- just a thought as you already have so much other good stuff.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Los Angeles

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Plenty of us have Apex wheels, and the reason many go with an 11 inch width is so they can get really wide tires on them ---- pretty much needed for those running CAMC in SCCA autocrossing. For road courses a set of 315s. is beneficial too, but the caveat is you would need a 25mm ( I inch ) spacer to do this size. Also, one needs a bit more serious negative camber up front and longer studs will also be on the list. Since some folks don't want to do all of this, an 18x10 is a common alternative. Many of us stress the 11 inch wheels because we, like others, did that first and then ended up selling them and getting bigger wheels. You obviously can't put a 315 on a 10 inch rim , but a 285 - 305 , can work depending on the tires true width. You definitely want a 285-295 and not a 275, which throngs of TMO members will tell you is too small a tire for our cars.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Los Angeles
SMGDHG

Very cool. Saw your build. And yes. I am up at Angeles crest usually every Sunday. I am always pulling myself back from adding more parts and putting a rollbar in this car. I will enjoy the car as is for now and maybe in summer, I will consider coilovers and oil cooler if the car needs it. I do need to take this car to the track least once to find out what it does.

CA
SMGDHG

Very cool. Saw your build. And yes. I am up at Angeles crest usually every Sunday. I am always pulling myself back from adding more parts and putting a rollbar in this car. I will enjoy the car as is for now and maybe in summer, I will consider coilovers and oil cooler if the car needs it. I do need to take this car to the track least once to find out what it does.
Very nice. I needed an oil cooler for track use on hot days, but other than not super vital. I have been tracking my car since it was pretty much stock. Now it's a bit of a modified fiasco (lowering lap times is addictive). So I definitely understand the desire to keep the car sane LOL.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Los Angeles
Thanks to 2012-Boss, Got the 18x10 dynamic wheels refinished and new 275/35/18 Kumho V730 tires mounted. Took it canyon today. What a difference in grip compared to 255 Indy’s. 340tw vs 200tw. Plenty for what I do up there. Also got an oil cooler from 2012-Boss, waiting for some additional parts that are back ordered. Should be very interesting.

TMO Supporting Vendors