The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Strengthrehab's Better Late Than Never Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What track is that? Looks fun! I'm hoping to get to mid-ohio this year still.

Use ALL the track! You'll carry more speed for sure. I see you dont use much engine braking either. I downshift much earlier. I brake late and hard and get my downshifts all done in as much of a straight line as possible (at the same time as I'm braking) -I then transition to using the engine braking as a way to plant the front tires at mid turn in and then with it being in a lower gear, you can really control the balance of the car as you accelerate through and out of the corner. If you can make that smooth, its fast!

Where did you buy your clutch? Im in the market as well....
Thanks!
Great videos!
Good idea on the engine braking. Thanks.

Track is MSR-Houston.

On another note, I found a local guy who just picked up a PPL2 so he is selling me the FP track kit minus away bars for 500 dollars. Then I will just have to pick up the sway bars.

Should be a decent improvement over the factory PP with BMR performance spring setup I have.

I hope.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Clutch showed up and it is wonderful piece of work. Beautiful. I also picked up a sparco sprint and 5 point harness for a passenger/instructor so I can move up the ranks.

Right now, I'm just waiting for my buddy to get back in town and clear his shop so I can get the car to Jim to get the clutch changed.

I also looked through my data and video and realized I need to improve my braking performance. With R16/R12 combo my max braking G reading was only 0.97. It should definitely be greater than that. I'm also either not on the gas early enough (to full throttle) or I need more power because I compared my data and times to a buddy (advanced driver with a very well prepped s197--headers, intake, coilovers, aero) and he is 2.2 seconds better than me and the big difference is his speed down the straights with up to an 8mph difference before the next braking zone.

Overall, for a car with only BMR performance springs, MM camber plates, wheels, tires and race seat, I'm doing ok, but I know things can be better with me.

What is the best way to get better with braking? Just work up to it? Same with accelerating early out of a corner? I heard Ross Bentley say "there is not much difference between 50% and 100% throttle coming out of a corner" and it make sense.

I guess I need to drive with more ballz. Lol.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
What is the best way to get better with braking? Just work up to it? Same with accelerating early out of a corner? I heard Ross Bentley say "there is not much difference between 50% and 100% throttle coming out of a corner" and it make sense.

Looks like you have the necessary brake upgrades already, so yeah, just keep at it unless you want to drop stupid amounts of coin on an even bigger brake kit! I wouldn't worry about comparing to your buddy, just focus on what you have and listen to the instructors.

Had a shop change my clutch. Stocker had a lot of meat on it, but the adhesive deteriorated and allowed the clutch material to pull apart from the ring.

I had the shop install an Exedy Hyper Single clutch, flywheel and another slave cylinder and braided clutch line.

The clutch now feels like a cable actuated one and quite a bit different than stock.

Gotta break it in and then hit the track again.9002b6d9b8c42346fce87cc083860577.jpg86a46640c4ab3813b7adf9c517adee21.jpg82ca2f5798676b970d5d8ccfa2ae4b15.jpg004b4af43436e320c79313707ed7d727.jpg624959c8b3aa733b8b8bba2db5695183.jpg

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Excited to see the progress you've been making, Ken! Keep up the great work!

- Cory

I got coilovers, bars and camber plates as part of a 50% sponsorship deal.

From anecdotes, it appears I have to open up my strut tower tops for adjusting camber plates and my 18x11 wheels may run so a set of camber bolts may need to be used.

They will arrive Tuesday and I will try to get them installed in the next 2 weeks.

Car is 95% track so...

I'm also in line for their remote reservoir DA kit releasing at end of this year.

Well I took the time and installed everything this weekend. Had some good and bad experiences.

There is a lot of work to do just to make this kit fit my car and with my preferences out of the box. I had to enlarge my strut tower opening to actually adjust camber without removing struts from the car. I just used a 2-5/8 hole saw and a jig idea I got from @gtorpedo.

Once I got everything installed, I checked clearances and my street wheels (19x10 +45) rubbed on the bottom collar of the strut so I put a 5mm spacer on it for clearance. That worked until I went for a ride and got grinding with full lock and "spirited" turns. I then installed 25mm spacer with street wheels and all was good.

When I mounted my track wheels (18x11 +52 Apex EC-7), I had the same problem even with a 25mm spacer. For testing, I stacked the 25mm and 5mm spacer and got good clearance. I didn't test drive this configuration yet.

Seems my options are to use a bigger spacer, use camber bolts, grind the collar for clearance or dismount them and sell them.

I contacted Pedders with my issue and questions as well as some things they may want to do if customers are using these on a track car with appropriate wheels.5abe414aa14aafa6e194c16eacf8fc40.jpg4df691b26422f8ef48284782211a2bdf.jpg7adc3be7a613331433cf7adcac735ea0.jpg2f7a7f7c4f4d8081208d24796ace7f2a.jpg

Getting some today, hopefully.

I went home last night and rechecked some clearances. Based on measurements and pics, the 18x11 doesn't rub the collar. But the tire (305/35/18 NT01) was rubbing on the strut body.

I test fit 30mm of spacers and had more clearance, but tires poke a smidge on L even at -3deg camber.

I'll probably run 31mm spacer and just see how things go. I was worried about possible body roll getting into the tire, but I had 175lb springs previously with similar amount of poke and tire didn't rub. Now I have 400lb springs so I'd think I'll be ok.

Thoughts?

f37575a0bb42bb0ac37f1501d7d95577.jpg886905902022f9f06f0b4013ab84d11e.jpg85546b90d2abc3ab51267554088bd3ca.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
I know you've put alot of work into making these fit, but that seems like a ton of spacer for still very minimal clearance. It will hopefully work fine but I would be looking at other coilover options for the long term if it was my car (I also run the 305 NT01 and 18x11 Apex wheels).

I know you've put alot of work into making these fit, but that seems like a ton of spacer for still very minimal clearance. It will hopefully work fine but I would be looking at other coilover options for the long term if it was my car (I also run the 305 NT01 and 18x11 Apex wheels).
Seems the only coilover that would work with less spacer is Cortex and maybe JRZ?

Cortex is out of the budget for sure.

I'm gonna learn suspension stuff with these then probably upgrade at a later date.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
I have less of an issue with the spacer width as I do with the final clearance you have while using said spacer - your setup looks very tight. I use a 25mm spacer with my Ridetech/Vorshlag setup but I have a ton of tire to strut clearance. Not to say the Ridetech's don't have their own set of issues, as I am only able to run my front BMR bar on full soft due to endlink clearance...but i've never found a need to go stiffer.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel