The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Strengthrehab's Better Late Than Never Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuning...

Here we go. I'll try to catch up on things.

Car: 2016 Base GT with Performance Package (non-recaro--I didn't fit in them)

Feb 2016 I bought the car knowing the goal was HPDE/track driving. I had the tires changed to Continental ExtremeContact DWS-06 All seasons prior to picking up the car.

March 2016: Changed out the exhaust (MBRP street) and wheels (MMD Zeven 19x8.5 and 19x10).

May 2016: Moved to Texas and installed BMR Performance Lowering springs and window tint

July 2016: Installed MGW Race Spec Gen2 shifter

August 2016: Lund Tune with nGauge

September 2016: First track day in Texas at MSR-Houston on 560tw DWS-06's (first time on track in 8 years)

November 2016: Weekend 2 on track, same setup (promoted to 2nd run group with TDE)

Dec 2016: swapped wheels to Forgestar CF5 18x10 square with 275/40/18 RE-11's (old)

Jan 2017: First track day on new wheels and tires and First Off-track experience

March 2017: First track weekend at Texas World Speedway (added R10/R8 GLoc pads, cooling and front tow hook)

June 2017: Weekend 2 at TWS (promoted to Yellow (Solo)) with PDS

August 2017: Added BMR cradle lock-out

Sept 2017: NASA Texas at MSR-H on BFG Comp2 (275/40/18)--Promoted to HPDE3

Fall 2017 Added CoolTech, LLC 4-point Roll Bar, Driven race seat (FIA), NecksGen HANS device, 6 point harness (Thanks to @steveespo for the parts)

Dec 2017: First track day with ChinTrackDays at MSR-H (Solo), also attended private track event at MSR-H

March 2018: Private track day (first time with Solo lap timer).

Up to this point, I've made steady progress at local track (MSR-Houston) taking my time from about 2:10 to 1:52 as confidence has improved.

I also update progress on TMO facebook page and my instagram page www.instagram.com/beast5oh/ and my Youtube page https://www.youtube.com/user/StrengthRehab

I spent the day yesterday installing some parts I have been collecting a bit.

Apex EC-7 18x11 wheels
Nitto NT01 (305/35/18)
Front Hubs with extended studs
25mm hubcentric spacers
BG trans and diff fluids.

As it turns out, a 20mm spacer would have been adequate.

I have an event next friday to test some things before then, I'm planning to install
New brake pads
flush brake fluid to SRF
Reduce spacer to 20mm
re-align with more aggressive front camber readings

Took the car to get aligned yesterday because it seemed like my camber was off based on these pics.
-HluvlpC30A1EiXotwe_wOfPmQp_VFtL_idhFDfuC-h3WJAV8etfXglEVmCUef8owzTUn0wCx2jj9_fELMNbv97_Ig9onk1NIhPM1WupZQEhxL4icWeCuzk48_7gk3ZNFK-6O1NNL_uOE_Fdug3oQXuCJANO2nAw-0Z3g8zHT5Cx2u3OJCYeGDX3EhIi6sk3_SQuU-q4KrcPKTv7pKbJm59_OYGJ8K7OOuQlG9v2XCYFvKCYwLOkNvnxaY-Rbi_2zuzWGhGHNXBZV421DZWnIfUJFjTmnbxwF2kS4fQCeNDYB5GkDpz_dQw7vWvFO4TFBboxBVMDYMfavPOTtfyrJiu8Mz4Rz0CYxEd-saA0va53bhV-TsvUZvFDu3Gwey3jAo6aKYSgyC2ovJw76KfD_sDZL5D4BQhv_MneHRFfJI2LCDhmzA2qOVPrDnM9UCebeJhyI40OkywX988ZfXlxfCtxEsXsZRZkvB-DCNO3F6_-sLlp6lYGliqC3ZbG96r764rmFTP3UOv6NLaF3f8nx8Ty8TcyFBd0vGaPN9lhF7bp_3J5Lc2wUzSA-Cii5pYwHPanmDZaoYnRTTl2WMnWc5aVQTvazkpSCTQLJc8=w189-h252-no
sVY9q62bAevXFuOZN0eO0OSCFpg6eyEI3UjouOAL2jG9dgXSk0RDBs8am4gBXNpBtREqEO9d3r4Ul10UkGeEzBzhixojpwfErw_ag513Jk4Jc5Q2yHMue8CJXZJPyX7Nr791k1-xqqD4DaUkV8fG1GT37lCN1gh_6B8UhnGooUM20xW72x9zgnFx83Cet6DOF2d4HV-rpr5fRjvFJ6asSs7DmAQg_V-_5cr_jXjvmnY_zaaEtnUKHLC3EN0fVHss8yIi-JI8inr54UOYGLqv6iA6D2PI9qKtfTMR6PVAnQkGFBOtVjTsQgQooTNlUQTxgQ2BRWCeMkoYmpT4Ea-DtWMsdz1CfoT1brUy1DRmG7sG7mdN1fVgqf7pq9PCKdWBJjoo3Bg4BGAS7jzR5nStj67dFrWl93dTZhWkbi8F8XwlUbsDWXoXxvyRfGeciuTwUrzrhzuz7TXbKhSvmUxqbB3hTjtMw_JLSrpwET8wGtcnk2_NqlCBlSDeO1TG05-aUv-I9mf0davzMls7uyxmpIeiDrvydrUiTZnKiIOyi7kPs0zQa3z81ceSSpQMBOlHnCS6S2j5CV-4m05qgXd2EtArMrg9L8MARbHx19g=w189-h252-no

He checked it and said the R was actually at -2.1 and L was -1.9. He did his thing and both came back to -2.0, but they still don't look even.

Also, the strut tops are not in the same place in relation to the strut tower opening.

So, therefore I ordered this:
http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1797&prodid=7215

At some point this summer, I want to learn how to set toe using the string method. The more I can do on my own, the better I will feel.

Last edited:

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Use toe boards to measure toe in / out. Much faster and easier than strings.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lng-79501

1. Use strings get the rear end square within the chassis
2. Use your new caster / camber gauge as intended
3. Toe boards for toe

Do it in this order and you'll be good to go.

So, I have a track day tomorrow so I took 1/2 day yesterday to finish up the car for the event.

I flushed the brake fluid with Castrol SRF, installed R16/R12 Gloc pads, reinstalled my brake cooling hoses and did an inspection on the car. Found something so I had to get it all squared away.

All I have to do tonight is install the tires, install my seat, clean her up and try the NT01s for the first time tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
even with the s550 IRS? Gotta measure toe back there, too.

I don't know. I try to keep my advice to stuff I have actually done and know for sure what I'm doing.

After some thought, I would string it and then do both front and rear toe. You need to keep the rear end square so to do that you need strings. After the rear is toed equally left and right, then you could toe boards to make adjustments if needed.

Also, everyone says "strings" but low test fishing line works better. It stretches nicely and no fuzz to deal with when making mesurements.

Lastly, good luck on track, go fast, take chances.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Hey Ken, great build so far and thanks for choosing APEX wheels! Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Have fun on track and be safe!

Also don't hesitate to send us some pictures and we'll do a little feature.

- Cory

Last edited:
Well if any of you visit the TMO FB page, you know how the day went.

This was the first day ever in R comp and really only my 2nd track day on anything other than 340+tw tires. I did do a day in 4 year old RE-11s last year, but nothing great. With that being said, I set a 3 second PB compared to my last outing on my street setup (285/35/19 Firestone Indy 500's). It wasnt what I expected, but after discussions and looking at video, I know there is a lot I left out there.

There is a very good chance that i would have made those improvements without the NT01s if I would have trusted myself and the car a little more.

The video shows it all with the coasting, late throttle application and slower than needed corner entry speeds.

I have some opportunities for testing so I will be hitting the track again in about 3 weeks. I will be working on some things including some experimentation with tire pressures

Pics forthcoming.

As always, critique is welcome.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Nice looking track! Envious... Don't worry too much about setting a winning lap right away after making big changes. That lump in-between the wheel and the seat needs time to catch up! I know I take a while to catch up to major changes, and changing tires/upsizing is a major change. You are 3 seconds faster so thats already a great start.

Last edited:

Latest video with the carnage evidence at the end.

Good: I got my targeted time 2x officially.
Bad: Lost my new phone (set it on the car before going out on track) and the clutch went buh bye.

I already have a Hyper Single on the way. I'm also going to get a braided clutch line.

Since I bought a truck, the car is now 90% track focused. While it is down for the clutch, I may pick up an FP track pack kit. I'm definitely getting a passenger race seat and harness for coaching/instructors.

Time to get as serious as my wallet will allow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
37aac2740adf194cdc122a563e48388f.jpg

US
What track is that? Looks fun! I'm hoping to get to mid-ohio this year still.

Use ALL the track! You'll carry more speed for sure. I see you dont use much engine braking either. I downshift much earlier. I brake late and hard and get my downshifts all done in as much of a straight line as possible (at the same time as I'm braking) -I then transition to using the engine braking as a way to plant the front tires at mid turn in and then with it being in a lower gear, you can really control the balance of the car as you accelerate through and out of the corner. If you can make that smooth, its fast!

Where did you buy your clutch? Im in the market as well....
Thanks!
Great videos!

Monaca Pa
What track is that? Looks fun! I'm hoping to get to mid-ohio this year still.

Use ALL the track! You'll carry more speed for sure. I see you dont use much engine braking either. I downshift much earlier. I brake late and hard and get my downshifts all done in as much of a straight line as possible (at the same time as I'm braking) -I then transition to using the engine braking as a way to plant the front tires at mid turn in and then with it being in a lower gear, you can really control the balance of the car as you accelerate through and out of the corner. If you can make that smooth, its fast!

Where did you buy your clutch? Im in the market as well....
Thanks!
Great videos!

I ordered my Exedy hyper single yesterday afternoon from Kohr Racing. Got it at 9:30 this morning. Team Beefcake has them cheaper. I needed it for today and Kohr delievered

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel