The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stripe Delete - First one in the country

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I took off the black hood decal yesterday. Needed a hair dryer on that one, and some goof off for the traces of glue left behind.

Looks good.

stripedelete#1 said:
I took off the black hood decal yesterday. Needed a hair dryer on that one, and some goof off for the traces of glue left behind.

Looks good.
Photo? When are you going to paint the roof? I'm not much of a stripe guy either but it's growing on me quickly. ;D

The black roof looks OK to me - sort of like a glass roof.

I'll take some photos after I get the windows tinted.

Also thinking of drilling out the fake round parts in the grill. Someone else did this and it looks good.

stripedelete#1 said:
The black roof looks OK to me - sort of like a glass roof.

I'll take some photos after I get the windows tinted.

Also thinking of drilling out the fake round parts in the grill. Someone else did this and it looks good.

I had 3 different people tell me how much they liked the glass roof on mine yesterday. ::)

Maybe Ford painted the roof black to simulate a carbon fiber look, like an M3? I can't find any "heritage" reason for it. The C stripes are an obvious throwback, but did they race with C stripes in 1969, or just put them on the production cars?

stripedelete#1 said:
Maybe Ford painted the roof black to simulate a carbon fiber look, like an M3? I can't find any "heritage" reason for it. The C stripes are an obvious throwback, but did they race with C stripes in 1969, or just put them on the production cars?
And they painted the white roofs white for that same CF look? No. They did that so the cars are more easily identifiable on the track according to the Speed documentary. I've seen a KB car with a CF wrap on the roof. Yes some of the 1969 race cars had the C stripe just like the present race cars have the C stripes. Not everything on these cars is about heritage (fortunately). I'm much more interested in the 2012/2013 Boss 302's creating their own heritage especially on the track.

5 DOT 0 said:
Not everything on these cars is about heritage (fortunately).

True but there is one little thing they copied, factory build race car tested on the track ;D We all have a piece of that. Shelbys and other cars like the Boss 429 were (are) nice cars but the Boss 302 was build for a reason, a complete car not just a special motor or add on parts. That is not meant as a slam to anyone that has one, I just love what the Boss 302 has always stood for.

I never tracked an old one but it was nice to know why it exists.

i think it would look better if you had a graphics guy come up with a small boss 302 sticker to put on the sides, same place as they were located in the c-stripe. Something subtle. There is a guy in my town who has the Graphic Printer to do this. He would likely charge about $100.00. Car looks too plain IMO.

In the end, if you're keeping the car 'till it rots, then do what you want. If you ever plan on selling it, I would never buy one altered regardless of the mod. My two cents. Keep the change.

I absolutely love it. So you removed the stripe I assume? Hair dryer or heat gun and just peel it off?

All of my cars are white and I am looking at ordering either a white one or a blue one and I will probably remove the stripe. Or can you order it without?

Again to each their own but I like it. The car looks very classy in my opinion...

Larry Shinoda would turn over in his grave.(He passed away due to kidney failure in late 1997)
He worked his butt off to make the BOSS 302 like it was. He came up with
the C Stripe, and His co-workers at Ford helped him and called him
BOSS, or the BOSS.
He used that to come up with BOSS 302.
You might read DONALD ARR BOSS 302 BOOK, and his new one about to come out....
ITS YOUR CAR YOU SHOULD DO WHAT YOU WANT TO WITH IT, BUT I
COULD NEVER REMOVE THE STRIPE OR BOSS DECAL PARTS OF MINE.
I am just glad FORD finally built the BOSS again.

oops.....DONALD FARR BOSS Book is suppose to be out shortly. I have ordered one already, and have an original one with pages signed by Parnelli Jones, and George Follmer. Super informative. ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel