The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

stripe safe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In general, yes. People (myself included) have used a variety of waxes & sealants to no ill effect.

That said, I would encourage a quality wax/sealant that doesn't dry white when applied correctly. If you check the detailing forum you will kind many recommendations. Top of mind waxes = Pinnacle, P21S, Zymol; sealants = Zanio, Klasse. You will find many more recommendations than these...

Its meagans ultimate liquid wax i had some of this from my old car i was going to order a higher quality brand but i have a car show this weekend and wont be in in time

That will be fine to put on the stripes but I don't know if it will dull the reflectiveness or not. Definitely do the test spot. I personally just use QD on the stripes so I never have to worry about it.

I got two layers of Wolfgang sealant, a layer of DoDo supernatural hybrid(its a sealant wax mix), two layers of Dodo supernatural wax, and two layers of Chemical Guys E-zyme wax. And Honestly the stripe to me looks like it reflects better.
Here is a pic which shows its reflectivity with all those layers. (taken with an iphone)IMG_6945.jpg

As long as it isn't a Cleaner wax or All In One product you should be safe on the stripes. Always start with a test spot!

I just got through claying my 2012 boss and noticed swirls in the vinyl. Would it be ok to use pinnacle XMT ultra swirl remover on this? Should I do it by hand or would a machine be ok. I have the porter cable 7424 XP. Thanks.

It would be nice to have the hood painted where the center strip is. Is there anyone who has done this? If so, what can you expect as far as cost?

badasbullitt said:
I just got through claying my 2012 boss and noticed swirls in the vinyl. Would it be ok to use pinnacle XMT ultra swirl remover on this? Should I do it by hand or would a machine be ok. I have the porter cable 7424 XP. Thanks.

I would not take any swirl remover or a machine to the stripes on my 2013. But the 2012 I have seen it done, I still would avoid using a machine.
The pinnacle ultra swirl remover is also for more surface swirls in paints so I'd use a mild glaze or AIO(CG Blacklight) instead to remove the swirls in your stripes and I'd also use a lake country hand applicator(probably white).

I had visited my daughter in Savannah last year and she had a big tree next to her driveway with a lot of Spanish moss hanging off it. It's like a dead bug grave yard. The morning after after we arrived I had a stain about the size of the tip of my pinky on my hood. I tried everything I could find to remove it with no luck. Every time I look at the car it was like a little eyeball looking back at me. It would drive me crazy. Last night I tried something new from the local auto parts store, Griot's 1 step sealant. I tried some on that little eyeball and it help. So I got out the o'll da and did the whole decal, worked great. I really have to look to find the spot now and the fillers helped with some of the scratches too. Looked even better this morning but that might be because I'm not wearing beer goggle's but it still looks good. We'll see when the sun shines on it. I'm happy with the results. At least this Saturday I won't have that little eyeball staring at me when am at the Hunt valley coffee and cars.

TMO Supporting Vendors