The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stripes don't hold up @ 180mph

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobody taking the bait :eek:

We were waiting on the new set of quarter stripes to arrive. The original ones were installed at a bad angle AND the font was not exactly correct. Two things that drove us crazy. Got the new ones today that have the correct font AND we installed them this time and they are MUCH better not gonna say perfect, but damn good. My son took the pic as we were taking them off and messed with a few of his car freak buddies.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Good Lord man. That stripe looked completely wrong. I did my own on the 70 and it took a long time to get them right. Those look like someone just slapped them on.

We watched the stripe guy install them. He STARTED with the quarter panels instead of the hood like he should have. He was off and there was no making it up. Didn't really matter though, because that first set of stripes had the 302 font that was not correct. That coupled with the angle being wrong killed it for us.

NewQtrs_zps6df2d34d.jpg

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Oh yeah, the hood MUST be installed first. Getting the gap correct at the windshield side of the hood is critical to getting the angle right on the fenders. I fuddled with the fender stripe for over an hour on each side to get it right and then tape it so it didn't slide out of position. What a pain but since the stripes on a Boss are absolutely critical to it being either the most beautiful car on earth or the most hideous, it is worth the effort. My painter pointed out the mistakes from the PO on my 1970 when I took it in for paint and I burned those mistakes into my brain when I did it myself so as not to repeat them. He was a master at laying down the painted ones and I went ahead and did the decals myself. I must say, I think they came out really good. I made one mistake that nobody sees except me so I think I did OK.

The new cars are pretty good given that they are production cars. I have to have my snout stripes replaced as they are out of alignment but I'll get that done when I get trackey installed.

Those stripes look great on sterling grey.

John

On my son's '65, I had a copy of original measurements from Shelby. We laid the tape down to paint them on. I never knew they weren't just parallel stripes until we viewed the plans and laid them down. We added our own touch adding an outside 1/4" border stripe to his restomod '65 that was a mish-mash of Mustang parts that he wanted to put together. This car drives traditionalist over the edge, but was just a '65 coupe that we brought back to life.

Cobrankenstang2.jpg

Cobranenstang01.jpg

StrattStang.jpg

SStang2a.jpg

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
WOW, that looks nice too. I also didn't notice that you blacked out the STB on the 2013. I really like that.

John

Deerslayer said:
What happens when you hit 180mph?
89a6a5c8-9eae-43d7-8148-6f3372e81f2b_zpsc0d24f21.jpg
I think you stalk me from forum to forum :p jk bro, of all the wannabes yours is by far the only one I like :p I still want that shift knob and those floor mats

Tulsa, OK
Deerslayer said:
http://www.greenfilterusa.com/

Not to change the subject, but Stratton would like to meet you sometime at the track between Tulsa and Stillwater. He would like to ride along once and learn a bit from you if you ever have time.

Thanks!

Yeah I'd like to meet up with him too. And he is more than welcome to ride along with me for a few sessions while we're out there. I'll keep you posted when I'm out there next. :)

Deerslayer said:
What happens when you hit 180mph?
89a6a5c8-9eae-43d7-8148-6f3372e81f2b_zpsc0d24f21.jpg

Did you install the reflective black stripes? Is your Mustang originally a GT? The reason I ask is because I they did not make a '13 Boss 302 in Grey. What mods have you made to your car? I would have to assume you have at least installed a tune in order to remove the limited top speed in order to reach 180 mph. :)

It is one very sweet looking Mustang for sure! I love the color combo of the the grey with the wheels and the stripes! For should have offered that as one of the Boss colors I think. Unfortunately my Dad has never been a "car guy". I would have loved to have done a projects like that with him. I personally feel he thinks I'm crazy for having my '13 Boss 302 in GHIG. lol.

Propilot

Support your local MS Society Chapter
madereg said:
Did you install the reflective black stripes? Is your Mustang originally a GT? The reason I ask is because I they did not make a '13 Boss 302 in Grey. What mods have you made to your car? I would have to assume you have at least installed a tune in order to remove the limited top speed in order to reach 180 mph. :)

Madereg,
This would have to be either a BOSS clone or a repainted BOSS. They did make one Sterling Grey BOSS in '13 and I own it.

Did you install the reflective black stripes?
These are flat black vinyl stripes, not the OEM reflective

This would have to be either a BOSS clone or a repainted BOSS. They did make one Sterling Grey BOSS in '13 and I own it.

It is a SMG '13 GT that has Boss parts from two separate wrecked Bosses, not born a Boss, but a couple of Bosses live on in this car.

Propilot, your M1 is one of my son's favorite cars in the world! One of his close friends died from complications to MD and two years ago, he raised 10k over a summer for the MD chapter in North TX in Blaine's name.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2011/jul/22/late-wichitan-honored-by-friend/?print=1

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284279

Propilot

Support your local MS Society Chapter
Deerslayer,
No offense taken. Imitation is the finest form of flattery. I to love the Sterling Grey/Black combo and have received many positive comments about it during the shows and MS events I attend.

Sorry to hear about your son's friend.

TMO Supporting Vendors