The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Strut bolt

As per my usual I always forget one last minute detail. Does anyone know the specs on the front strut bolt? I need two to replace the camber bolts.
 
Cancelled my order and grabbed some 5/8's bolts, they are larger than the M14 stock strut bolts so I will figure out how to make them work but I feel better about them than the Ford bolts, plus I didn't have to wait to have them sent and what not.
 

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Moderator
3,752
1,223
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
NY Metro
Brandon
Why are you not using the Ford bolts? I advise against making the hole in the spindle upright larger by any means. There were failures on early S197 uprights due to bolt torque loss and material thickness. The uprights/spindles were beefed up in 2010 and the bolts changed from coarse thread to fine, with an increase in torque value to 166 lb/ft.
Race teams still use OEM bolts and flag nuts there, wouldn't risk a failure by modding it.
Steve
 
steveespo said:
Brandon
Why are you not using the Ford bolts? I advise against making the hole in the spindle upright larger by any means. There were failures on early S197 uprights due to bolt torque loss and material thickness. The uprights/spindles were beefed up in 2010 and the bolts changed from coarse thread to fine, with an increase in torque value to 166 lb/ft.
Race teams still use OEM bolts and flag nuts there, wouldn't risk a failure by modding it.
Steve

I didn't want to use the Ford bolts since a set online was 32 shipped and a local dealer could only sell sets of 4 nuts and bolts and that was roughly 70 dollars. Seems like I am quibbling over a few dollars when safety is at stake. I will have to see when I go to putting it all together, I may have to run by Ace or something and see if they have M14 bolts that are Grade 8 or higher.
 

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Moderator
3,752
1,223
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
NY Metro
Brandon302 said:
I didn't want to use the Ford bolts since a set online was 32 shipped and a local dealer could only sell sets of 4 nuts and bolts and that was roughly 70 dollars. Seems like I am quibbling over a few dollars when safety is at stake. I will have to see when I go to putting it all together, I may have to run by Ace or something and see if they have M14 bolts that are Grade 8 or higher.

Maximum Motorsports sells them as a complete kit for about $46 a set of 4.
These are the Ford bolts. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Strut-to-spindle-mounting-hardware-kit-2005-2014-Mustang-P1360.aspx
Steve
 
steveespo said:
Maximum Motorsports sells them as a complete kit for about $46 a set of 4.
These are the Ford bolts. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Strut-to-spindle-mounting-hardware-kit-2005-2014-Mustang-P1360.aspx
Steve
Steve is absolutely right about those bolts. I have replaced mine with the Ford bolts both times I replaced the struts. These are catastrophic if they fail and I know of a few that did before they swapped to the fine thread bolts. I am swapping to the FRPP rear LCAs with poly bushings next week and just stopped at Ford today to pick up new hardware. I thought $40 was steep for that too but not in comparison to a potential failure.
 
cloud9 said:
Steve is absolutely right about those bolts. I have replaced mine with the Ford bolts both times I replaced the struts. These are catastrophic if they fail and I know of a few that did before they swapped to the fine thread bolts. I am swapping to the FRPP rear LCAs with poly bushings next week and just stopped at Ford today to pick up new hardware. I thought $40 was steep for that too but not in comparison to a potential failure.
I just ordered the correct stuff from fastenal, prior to finding out that Maximum sells the bolts for cheaper. How do the coarse thread fail over fine thread?
 
Noticed the difference between the old and new threads. I changed my order to fine thread and will see where that gets me, went with 10.9 just like Ford's bolts.
 
Brandon302 said:
I just ordered the correct stuff from fastenal, prior to finding out that Maximum sells the bolts for cheaper. How do the coarse thread fail over fine thread?

Ford designed these bolts to replace the coarse-thread OEM bolts that originally came on the 2005-10 Mustang. The stock bolts have been known to loosen over time with aggressive driving road racing or autocross allowing strut deflection and breakage. These redesigned bolts have a fine thread and higher torque spec (166 ft. lb.) that helps them to better withstand the abuses of hard cornering.
 
steveespo said:
Maximum Motorsports sells them as a complete kit for about $46 a set of 4.
These are the Ford bolts. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Strut-to-spindle-mounting-hardware-kit-2005-2014-Mustang-P1360.aspx
Steve

Agree 100% on only using Ford hardware. Swapped out stock suspension for coilovers this winter and found that Group1autoparts.com had the best prices.

$38 for a set of front strut nuts and bolts: http://www.group1autoparts.com/parts-catalog/ford/mustang/2012/boss-302/5-0l-v8-gas/front-suspension/struts-and-components
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top