Welcome to Track Mustangs Online

Join the BEST track enthusiast Mustang community on the web!

Register Log in

Strut Ear Failure

Double0Fox

TMO Advanced
Reaction score
On my way from work yesterday, and getting off on a off ramp, and all of a sudden the car veered to the right. Didn't loose control, but moved over about 10 feet. Babied the car home, and this is what I found. I put these struts on in Aug of last year. No tracking, or accidents/Potholes. Not even any real aggressive driving. I have had alot of Koni products before without ever a issue. Looks like the ear was missing some welding, and was only welded at three points. I admit I didn't notice the lack of welds when I installed them. Ordered a full set of Koni Yellows, and will check them over real well when they get here.

Last edited:

302BOB

TMO Addict
Reaction score
You hate to see and have equipment fail like this and not even being a year old....Glad the outcome turned out for the best..All things considered................

Double0Fox

TMO Advanced
Reaction score
I'm glad it didn't result in a serious accident. Were they new when you installed them?
Yes they were new. Same here, keep telling myself it could have been much worse. In all honesty I felt like the STR's were a little "bouncy". Hope the Yellows are not that way.

Grant 302

OPM Spent: $665,833
Reaction score
Sounds like you should at least get a free replacement. Check with the retailer and then directly with Koni.

Oranges are like Yellows on full soft. You should be able to tune out any under-damped issues with the rebound adjustment on the yellows.

Glad there wasn't any injuries as a result.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Reaction score
IIRC, Koni had endlink bracket problems early-on with the S197 struts. Waiting for the fix getting into and through the supply pipeline took nearly a year. That was back about 2009. I'm now on a second set of yellows, not due to anything like breakage.

I'm sure yours was a case of a single strut or maybe a small batch sneaking past QC.

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors