The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Strut tower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use on the Strut tower brace? I stared to use some Mothers, but don't like how the spot turned out. Thoughts?

So, when I bought it (Used) It had Spots and streaks on the metal finish. Kinda looked like someone sprayed something on it trying to clean it/ touch it up. But someone else suggested that it could be water from rain/ washing it. Either way, I got mothers and wasn't really pleased with how the test spot looked. So I use a different metal polish maybe.

I wouldnt use metal polish on it, it seems like the brace is painted and cleared coated.
I use quick detailer sprays to get water spots off. if the water spots are somewhat etched in the clear, use a regular paint polish.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
its paint dont use metal polish on it!!! That will make it worse.

Try meguiars ultimate compound and their new DA polisher that can be attached to a cordless drill. Without seeing pictures I am assuming it looks bad hence not wasting the time to try using the polish by hand.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/dapowersystem/
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g17216-ultimate-compound/
and finish it up with their ultimate polish and corresponding pad
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g19216-ultimate-polish/

Justin

also make sure its cool to the touch before you put anything on it. if its hot from driving around most products will not work correctly. you can unbolt it and take it off the car and use a hose to cool it down then dry it.

This is a picture of what I'm talking about. In the bottom photo you can see lines, those are the spots that I speak of. In the top one you can see a dark smudge, that is from the metal polish I tired. I find it hard to believe that this part is painted and or clear coated, but I will give a try with the compound stuff.
18aaa4aa-6b31-4add-8837-983ae5e0d31f.jpg
fb4dbc5d-d1c1-47e5-b1ca-a258c7113a94.jpg

Justin

Shaun12 said:
This is a picture of what I'm talking about. In the bottom photo you can see lines, those are the spots that I speak of. In the top one you can see a dark smudge, that is from the metal polish I tired. I find it hard to believe that this part is painted and or clear coated, but I will give a try with the compound stuff.
18aaa4aa-6b31-4add-8837-983ae5e0d31f.jpg
fb4dbc5d-d1c1-47e5-b1ca-a258c7113a94.jpg
well believe it lol its painted silver. if it wasnt it would turn to rust very quickly its made of steel.

Justin said:
well believe it lol its painted silver. if it wasnt it would turn to rust very quickly its made of steel.

Thanks for the help. Still waiting for it to cool off, then I'll give it a try. Ill follow up with the results.

Had just enough juice in the 12V battery to just barely finish the compounding. At first I wasn't sure it would work, but it took out all the spots and streaks. After the battery charges up, ill follow up with the polish. Thanks a lot to you guys. This has been bothering the crap out of me since I bought the car back in May! And it looks 100% better!
strutbrace4.jpgstrutbrace3.jpg

I had streaks on mine too, but used Mother's before I saw this thread. Luckily it didn't damage it but it did clean it right up!.. I love the polished look so I may eventually end up sending it to a polishing shop.

Honestly I would not waste my money on the shop. Just get a bottle of polish compound, and buffer pad for the end of a cordless drill and have at it. It took my all of 30 minutes using two different pads and two batteries to get the desired look. Looks really smooth once its polished.

Shaun12 said:
Honestly I would not waste my money on the shop. Just get a bottle of polish compound, and buffer pad for the end of a cordless drill and have at it. It took my all of 30 minutes using two different pads and two batteries to get the desired look. Looks really smooth once its polished.

I don't think you are talking about the same thing Shaun. I am talking fully polished i.e. shiny like my wheels. I don't think a drill with a polish tip is going to remove the painted finish to bare metal. I may be wrong though :)

Justin

coolcobramatt said:
I don't think you are talking about the same thing Shaun. I am talking fully polished i.e. shiny like my wheels. I don't think a drill with a polish tip is going to remove the painted finish to bare metal. I may be wrong though :)
it might if you hold it in one spot for a long time lol. with it being steel once it was polished I would have it clear coated.

TMO Supporting Vendors