The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

struts n shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone know the difference in the shock and strut package between the LS and the base boss? What would be an upgrade for a base boss?

There's not enough difference between the two to bother with upgrading. You'll want to go a bit further and spend less money.

Read all about it here.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2041.0

I have done all of those mods except the dampers. I guess at this point I will wait till spring time at my first track day to see what else to do if anything. Mostly its a street car not a daily driver but I want it to be a good track car.

Sesshomurai

Rick,
Do the FR 18000-C's require the M-18183-C upper strut mounts? It's not clear from the retailers.

It will say:
Code:
It will also fit 2011-2013 GT Mustangs when used in combination with Ford Racing Springs and M-18183-C upper strut mounts (sold separately).

But does that mean that the upper strut mounts are required? I have adjustable strut top mounts from steeda and hope to keep them.

Sesshomurai

NFSBOSS said:
I'm not sure. I used MM camber plates and they are not needed with aftermarket plates. For what you're looking to do I'd be looking elsewhere. For me it was a no brainer as I was able to sell my stock dampers and springs for close to what the new ones cost. I was installing the camber plates so the additional labor for install was almost nothing.

So you have those shocks/struts and use them with the MM camber plate?

I'm looking to upgrade from the OEM struts/stocks to an adjustable (either double adjustable or single adjustable with two-way response which is what the FR ones are) as an intermediate step to a race-worthy rig (still a ways off from that).

darreng505 said:
So you have those shocks/struts and use them with the MM camber plate?

I'm looking to upgrade from the OEM struts/stocks to an adjustable (either double adjustable or single adjustable with two-way response which is what the FR ones are) as an intermediate step to a race-worthy rig (still a ways off from that).
Yes Gary has the same setup as do a couple of other members. There's more adjustability with these dampers and they stiffen up more than the stock ones. I'm new to all of this but for me there's less body roll and brake dive which has a lot to do with the springs. For the dampers the car is more in control and gets upset less. Overall there's less movement and more control yet still provides a good enough ride for the street. If you're going racing I'd go straight to coilovers.

Sesshomurai

NFSBOSS said:
If you're going racing I'd go straight to coilovers.

Yeah. I go back on forth on this. I'll be in HPDE still another full season before competition racing begins. Need something to tide me over maybe....lol

darreng505 said:
Yeah. I go back on forth on this. I'll be in HPDE still another full season before competition racing begins. Need something to tide me over maybe....lol
I agree with Rick on this Darren. No since spending money on something that you know isn't your end goal. I did this a lot on my GT and it cost me a lot more in the end. Koni yellows are a great improvement as well.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
NFSBOSS said:
There's not enough difference between the two to bother with upgrading. You'll want to go a bit further and spend less money.

Read all about it here.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2041.0

Says You ! ;-)

TMO Supporting Vendors