The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stuff to bring to the track Checklist?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
A buddy of mine once shared with me a paper checklist he put together before a track weekend. It was a list of all the common tools and supplies he didn't want to forget to throw in his toolbox or in the car that needed to make it to the track for the event. Things like a torque wrench, 12mm socket, shop rags, zip ties, jack, jack stands, tire pressure gauge, fluids, gallons of water, etc. It proved to be a really handy list for me, if for nothing else, just to visually look over everything and make sure I had everything I needed.

Do any of you have a checklist you use? I was thinking of creating a Google doc to serve as a template that people can download, edit to fit their needs, and print out for their own use. I can't find my list. Maybe people can chime in with what they use? I'll then link to that document in our (coming soon) Resources section.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I use this (PDF attached) for my HPDE Track Days. I don't have a breakdown on individual tools since I bring a dedicated 14" tool bag stuffed with wrenches, sockets, ratchets, pliers, etc. I also have a separate 12" bag "Go-Bag" with brake changing equipment. This includes piston compressor for the rear brakes and a separate one for the front Brembos, special punch pin to remove the pins on the 4-pot Brembos, Hi-Temp Ceramic Brake Lube, Sil-Glyde, extra brake fluid, extra bleeder caps, extra pins and brake hardware, etc.

I've also attached a PDF of my "Pre-Flight Checklist" to remind me of some basics and to properly set up the electronics. I printed this on a 4x6 index card and keep it near the dashboard before each session starts.

I have the documents in MS-Word but it seems we can't upload .doc or .docx documents.

Attachments

• Track Checklist.pdf
    641.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Pre-Flight Checklist Mustang GT.pdf
    481.6 KB · Views: 162

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I use this (PDF attached) for my HPDE Track Days. I don't have a breakdown on individual tools since I bring a dedicated 14" tool bag stuffed with wrenches, sockets, ratchets, pliers, etc. I also have a separate 12" bag "Go-Bag" with brake changing equipment. This includes piston compressor for the rear brakes and a separate one for the front Brembos, special punch pin to remove the pins on the 4-pot Brembos, Hi-Temp Ceramic Brake Lube, Sil-Glyde, extra brake fluid, extra bleeder caps, extra pins and brake hardware, etc.

I've also attached a PDF of my "Pre-Flight Checklist" to remind me of some basics and to properly set up the electronics. I printed this on a 4x6 index card and keep it near the dashboard before each session starts.

I have the documents in MS-Word but it seems we can't upload .doc or .docx documents.
Updated the system to allow for doc and docx uploads. And thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
In any case, I can't put anything on a checklist that costs more than the car...
Our company just ordered 3 girls for Daytona, three days each. Expensive, yes. But.....If you RENT.... They do not cost as much as the car. Yes, they will work for me. Don't tell my wife. LOL

There's this.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
There's this.

I did see that thread Rick, and it's also the first link I added to the new Resources page I'm working on. I planned to use that list as a reference for this but I figured others might have more detailed lists they might be able to share for this purpose.

Unfortunately F1 banned them in 2018.

There were only a few at the Rolex 24 of Daytona. And they were exceptional.

In any case, I can't put anything on a checklist that costs more than the car...

as an huge F1 fan.....no they didnt. I was in austin last year for the race and they were there lol

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Minor reminder, but after seeing 3 individuals pass out or run off the track due to dehydration over the years, make sure you bring plenty of water/Gatorade to the track.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Minor reminder, but after seeing 3 individuals pass out or run off the track due to dehydration over the years, make sure you bring plenty of water/Gatorade to the track.
Good point. I remember a couple of run group leaders telling everyone "if you're not peeing clear fluids several times throughout the day, you're not drinking enough water". Dehydration impairs your abilities on track well before the point where you pass out. Be considerate of all those around you on track and drink tons of fluids, ideally a little bit of Gatorade and mostly water.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hmmm love food, but lots of goodies and driving don't go well with me. Took a roast chicken to the track once... ate the dam bird for lunch, then when I went out again in the afternoon, I turned a vivid green colour as it got its fowl revenge! Took hours to get over it... Now its just a granola bar and some nuts and lots of liquids

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
You need beef sticks. Protein is good. And I don't mean that Burger King Faux beef crap either. I bring Duke's Beef Sticks, Smokehouse Almonds and Coconut/Chocolate Kind bars to snack on. If there is a lunch on site, I always make sure I go light on it. Stay away from chicken prepared on the manifold.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
You need beef sticks. Protein is good. And I don't mean that Burger King Faux beef crap either. I bring Duke's Beef Sticks, Smokehouse Almonds and Coconut/Chocolate Kind bars to snack on. If there is a lunch on site, I always make sure I go light on it. Stay away from chicken prepared on the manifold.
Agreed. I stick to plain ole' sandwiches if possible. Keep it simple and light, and you'll be able to keep your mind focused more on the racing line around the track, and not the party in your intestinal tract.

Bay Area
Here is what @VoodooBoss gave me a couple years back. I tailor it to my track events. If I tow my car I have a lot more but I think this is a great TD list if you’re driving to the event
Gear Bag Tools
1Tire Gauge
2Temp Gauge
3Torque Wrench
4Lug Socket w/Extension
5Tape
6Flash Light
7Impact Gun
8Motor Oil and Funnel
9Brake Fluid and Funnel
10Screw Driver Set
11Tow Hooks
12Work Gloves
12Rubber Gloves
14Shop Towels
15Misc Tools
Driving Gear
1Helmet
2Hans
3Gloves
4Harnesses
5GoPro and gear
6Hat
7Jacket
8Sunglasses
9Driving Suit
Misc
1Window Cleaner
2Paper Towels
3Event Documents
4Numbers
5Ice Chest w/Water and Food
6Tarp
7Reading Glasses
8Sunscreen
9Knee Pad
10Chairs
11Air Tank
12HOD Card
13Business Cards
14Clean Inside/outside of Windshield

Last edited:

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
I have a light cotton one piece jump suit that's quick to slip into for servicing the car. It's get dirty instead of me. I don.t where it in the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel