The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stupid question about fueling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK, I feel really ignorant for asking this but here goes. Is there a trick to getting the fuel neck flapper door open? I bought some Sunoco race gas to blend in the tank before I go to the drag strip. I tried to stick my funnel (trans style funnel) down the filler neck and couldn't get the flapper to cooperate. I didn't want to screw something up so I didn't try too hard. I tried pushing it open with my hand with no luck either. So, am I just an idiot or is there a trick?

BrianDeTienne said:
OK, I feel really ignorant for asking this but here goes. Is there a trick to getting the fuel neck flapper door open? I bought some Sunoco race gas to blend in the tank before I go to the drag strip. I tried to stick my funnel (trans style funnel) down the filler neck and couldn't get the flapper to cooperate. I didn't want to screw something up so I didn't try too hard. I tried pushing it open with my hand with no luck either. So, am I just an idiot or is there a trick?
There are two "ears" in the filler neck that are activated by the gas pump nozzle and release the flapper. You can do one of two things. First, use the white plastic funnel that's included in the flat repair kit in your trunk. Secondly, a friend of mine bought some clear plastic tubing that's the same diameter as the gas pump nozzle and attached it to his fuel jugs with a shutoff valve.

TMO Supporting Vendors