The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sturgis Mustang Rally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking about heading to Sturgis over the Labor Day weekend. Ya I know it's a ways out but looking for any info as we're first timers going and would like some recommendation's for safe and secure hotel/motels in the Sturgis area. Also looking for anyone or group traveling that way from the east or south to caravan with. We're in Wisconsin, the SE corner. Leaving Wednesday night.

mick289 said:
Thinking about heading to Sturgis over the Labor Day weekend. Ya I know it's a ways out but looking for any info as we're first timers going and would like some recommendation's for safe and secure hotel/motels in the Sturgis area. Also looking for anyone or group traveling that way from the east or south to caravan with. We're in Wisconsin, the SE corner. Leaving Wednesday night.
You're not thinking too early in terms of hotel reservations. The hotels fill up pretty fast out there that weekend so I'd recommend booking something now. If you like to gamble, stay in Deadwood. Spearfish will be on the quieter side and Sturgis proper will be a party zone. There are a lot of condo and cabin rentals in the area as well. Check vrbo.com for various options.

drano38

Wayne
I was at the Mustang Rally in '11 and '12.
Both times I stayed in Sturgis.
I like being in Sturgis if I want to go to some of the events and not others, run back to the room mid-day, etc. And Saturday morning, its a short in-town drive to the car show.
But Deadwood does have advantages too as Cloud9 mentioned.
First year I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. They (and other national chains) up their rates for the holiday weekend, so be ready for sticker shock.
The second year, on recommendation from a Boss 302 friend, stayed at the Starlite Motel. Its an old, mom and pop type, but very reasonably priced. It was a clean room, and about 6 blocks from main street. No frills, just a clean room. They have 2 buildings, and the other one (which has the office) is further south, and close to the Ford dealer. No web site, phone is (605) 347-2506.
Ask the hotel's cancellation policy too. It may be a month or 2 before Labor Day.
Have fun.

I'm looking forward to meeting some Boss owners when we're there. I'm not participating, but we'll be there a couple of days, probably Friday & Saturday. I've booked a house/cabin with garage in Hill City. We have never been to the Black Hills so we're going to do some sight seeing. I'm leaving Wednesday afternoon and take a day and a half out. Thanks Cloud 9 as we are VRBO people having a cottage we rent out in the summer so it was a natural to see how others do their rentals.

Fomoco302 said:
I've done Sturgis a couple times on motorcycle. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park are a must. Beautiful scenery and roads.
I've been there during motorcycle week and it's crazy. Custer State Park was an excellent surprise but I have no desire to go back to Rushmore. Don't forget Wall Drug. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors