The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Suggest an upgrade path for autocross

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
Looking to whip my S197 into shape for some CAM-C autocross duty. I do believe my engine mods would limit my class choice. Struts and shocks are failing and it’s time to replace them. Can someone suggest a proven upgrade path? I’d like to make some minor but meaningful updates without “throwing the book at it” all at once.

4868EBB4-E97B-4458-8EC0-EA3EA31D8013.jpeg

Steeda Sport springs and an adjustable panhard bar are the only suspension mods currently. The 20’s are for street duty only and I have an old set of 18x9.5 Steeda wheels for an autocross setup. Probably going with run a set of RT660’s or CR1’s. Haven’t crossed that bridge yet.

D3D2F962-BAAB-466E-AFC7-CF0583D25774.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking to whip my S197 into shape for some CAM-C autocross duty. I do believe my engine mods would limit my class choice. Struts and shocks are failing and it’s time to replace them. Can someone suggest a proven upgrade path? I’d like to make some minor but meaningful updates without “throwing the book at it” all at once.

View attachment 84208

Steeda Sport springs and an adjustable panhard bar are the only suspension mods currently. The 20’s are for street duty only and I have an old set of 18x9.5 Steeda wheels for an autocross setup. Probably going with run a set of RT660’s or CR1’s. Haven’t crossed that bridge yet.

View attachment 84209
I've been running a 3v s197 for about 7 years (5 in cam) and the biggest bang for the buck was wheels and tires. 18x11 wheels and 315 tires. As far as shocks/struts, I use st/xta, they are a low cost (as compared to others) system which provides some adjustability and have worked for me. Be aware the CAM rules changed for 2023.

I've been running a 3v s197 for about 7 years (5 in cam) and the biggest bang for the buck was wheels and tires. 18x11 wheels and 315 tires. As far as shocks/struts, I use st/xta, they are a low cost (as compared to others) system which provides some adjustability and have worked for me. Be aware the CAM rules changed for 2023.
Tires >all other mods.. just the way it is.
Look up project superbeater for a pathway and some other suggestions that may help you.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
As Blacksheep noted tires are the single best and first option you should go with and most in CAMC are running large wheels and rubber. Since funds are also a determiner of what we all can do if a new set of wide wheels and large stick rubber are not both in the cards, I would make a suggestion to look into a set of 285/30/18 or 295/30/18 Bridgestone RE-71RSs for the wheels you currently have. Some of us saw DaveW ( Dave Whitworth ) run a small set ( 295s ) of RE-71RSs at the last SCCA Solo National in Moultrie , GA. and not only win CAMC, but also run the fastest Overall PAX time of the event. That alone convinced me and others that there is another hot ticket to compete with the A052s. I am suggesting this combination for you as it sounds like you are trying to do upgrades as you can, and not throw the book at it right away.

Those changes and a decent set of shocks, since yours are failing, should bet you going for the near future.

Going fast means fast tires and the A052 or RE71-RSs seem to be the hot tickets now, and they are in a similar price range as the RT660s. Honestly I would not consider the CR1s over the other choices!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
Thank you all for the advice and further reading suggestions. I believe the path being illuminated consists of a decent set of coil overs and good tires. That should “get me in the game” so I can focus on maintenance things like switching to better brake fluid and such.

I’m looking forward to developing this car more as it always felt better than my SN95.

Thank you all for the advice and further reading suggestions. I believe the path being illuminated consists of a decent set of coil overs and good tires. That should “get me in the game” so I can focus on maintenance things like switching to better brake fluid and such.

I’m looking forward to developing this car more as it always felt better than my SN95.
OK, stop right there, a "decent" set of coil overs will throw you back at least $5K, Penskes are over $10K. and they will have to be rebuilt every 20K miles on the steet.
They offer ride height adjustability, but that is about it, The reason race cars use them is because we can adjust them every 3 to 5 laps in practice to get a setup, that you won't be doing, unless you are mad serious about autocross competition and then at that point, you'd probably need a dedicated car.
I would highly... very very highly ..suggest something like this, from Ford, then Cortex, then everybody else, in that order.
This is what is run in the SCCA. PWC and a lot of other stuff, even though we dump $10K into the Penske coil overs for reasons mentioned.
If you feel that you must fiddle with something, then you can get this kit with adjustable shocks, so you can adjust your way out of the setup, just like each of us has done at some point.. lol.

OK, stop right there, a "decent" set of coil overs will throw you back at least $5K, Penskes are over $10K. and they will have to be rebuilt every 20K miles on the steet.
I'm guessing that the insured would qualify decent as sub $1,500 with Good being 2-5k, and exceptional being anything above that. Agreed that the Ford Handling pack is a solid upgrade for the money though.

I'm guessing that the insured would qualify decent as sub $1,500 with Good being 2-5k, and exceptional being anything above that. Agreed that the Ford Handling pack is a solid upgrade for the money though.
I'll get crucified for saying this, and I know I'm on the hard core racer side of things, but I don't think you can find anything under about $5K that is much good. I think JRI makes some decent shocks for the price, but you still have to maintain them, that's where standard FR package is great, it's pretty much fire and forget.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
"If you want quality, you have to pay for that."

I have much to consider. Won't say money is no object but I have quite the budget for this project. The goal is to be well informed before making purchases and spend once.

TMO Supporting Vendors