The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suggestions for track compound brake pads? S550 PP1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Fresno, ca
Thinking out loud though. If honing the rotors is a need to make for a clean bedding process (which totally makes sense), just flat out swapping rotors might be just as efficient to be honest. One set of rotors for the track pads, one set for the street. Just thinking the process of breaking bolts and reinstalling rotors is probably more efficient than honing rotors each time. It's easy with a drill to do it, just thinking about the time/effort required to do that. Still dialing in the approach here so correct me if I'm thinking about it wrong.

That's how most people do it. The discussion above is in regards to an option for anyone not wanting to go through either process. It's nice to swap pads without all the extra work.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
You can run the GS1 pads on the same rotors as the track pads.
This is true. But the GS1s on the street will not feel nearly as good as the track pads. I was running the PowerStop Track Day pads with the PowerStop Z26 pads for the street. The PowerStops were pretty good but as I got faster they squealed like a banshee at the end of a long straight. They were dusty as hell too. So I switched to the GLOC R12 which held up nicely and were a lot cleaner but still didn't have the great bite of the PowerStop Track Day pads. But after the R12s wore, I switched to the R16 and am very happy with the initial bite.

However, for the street, the GS1 pad's bite pales in comparison to the Z26 pads on the street. Here's another thread where others have the same experience.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/gloc-gs1-pad-install-upgrade-or-down-grade.14970/

This year I will try swapping between the Z26 pads and the R16 pads between street and track.

@bnight indicates in post #14 above that he doesn't have a problem swapping between different manufacturer's for street vs track and here are some other posts that say the same thing:

@APEXRaceParts :

@JAJ :

For individuals who feel the GS1 doesn't have enough bite on the street for them, I've seen people mention they run R6s instead. Since it's an autocross compound, it's designed to work from dead-cold like street pads. They note R6s are used in street applications on their website, but mention the potential elevated noise and dusting over the GS1. If you need track-like performance on the street that may be a compromise you're willing to make.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
This is true. But the GS1s on the street will not feel nearly as good as the track pads. I was running the PowerStop Track Day pads with the PowerStop Z26 pads for the street. The PowerStops were pretty good but as I got faster they squealed like a banshee at the end of a long straight. They were dusty as hell too. So I switched to the GLOC R12 which held up nicely and were a lot cleaner but still didn't have the great bite of the PowerStop Track Day pads. But after the R12s wore, I switched to the R16 and am very happy with the initial bite.

However, for the street, the GS1 pad's bite pales in comparison to the Z26 pads on the street. Here's another thread where others have the same experience.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/gloc-gs1-pad-install-upgrade-or-down-grade.14970/

This year I will try swapping between the Z26 pads and the R16 pads between street and track.

@bnight indicates in post #14 above that he doesn't have a problem swapping between different manufacturer's for street vs track and here are some other posts that say the same thing:

@APEXRaceParts :

@JAJ :
Yea I understand. I was just making a point that one of the benefits of GLOC pads is that you dont have to go through the process of swapping rotors from track to street and vice versa. I do agree it is still good to sand them to improve the performance and bedding process.

Never heard of anybody running powerstop on the track. I was thinking of moving up to R16 to try it but I have enough life left in my R12/R10. Will give the new EBC stuff a try next most likely.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Never heard of anybody running powerstop on the track
There's a few of us. They're pretty good when first starting out in HPDE. But if you get hooked on HPDE you'll outgrow them in a season or two.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Forgot to mention that the PowerStop Track Day pads are pretty good on the rear to balance with the R16 in the front.

Especially if you keep ESC on in Sport Mode since they're not that expensive to replace.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Just note that pad perf depends on track layouts on braking zones. One user mentioned Buttonwillow, that is not a brake intensive course, maybe at the Sunset corner. Around here Auto Club Speedway is one.

For the rear brakes which do way less work these Powerstops may work fine and cheaper option but I’d stay w my G-Locs for now. Anybody can vouch for dependable fade-free rear use of the PS Track Pads?

TMO Supporting Vendors