The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Super Cobra jet Throttle body

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anybody heard of problems with the mono blade throttle body? I just had the Cobra Jet manifold, FRPP CAI, cams, and Kooks long tubes with H pipe installed. Made 480RWHP When I went to drive it home I made it a few miles from the shop and the Wrench light came on. Reset it drove a few more miles and same thing. Made it back to the shop and the tuner said bad throttle body, sent it back got new one and same problem. He put on a 65mm dual blade and the car runs fine.
Do you think it is the throttle body or does my tuner not know what he is doing?

Might want to email Shaun at AED. He has a lot of expertise with the monoblade throttle bodies and may be able to better answer your question. I went with the twin 65mm throttle body less the Cams and had Roush-Yates do a tune for the track. It will run 3 full days at the track with no CEL. It will throw a CEL (Pre Cat) occasionally on the street, but since it was tuned for the track, I'm willing to live with that trade off. Good Luck.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
F18SMM:

This is a tough call as to your question on your Tuner, and to be fair to him/her, you should check references of other customer of the same shop.

However if it were true, as you wrote, ["Made it back to the shop and the tuner said bad throttle body, sent it back got new one and same problem."], then I suspect the Forum communities would be all over this condition with complaints and/or warnings.

But I don't recall ever seeing complaints in regard to the SCJ TB. Perhaps, it was an equipment compatibility issue? The Members here will provide you with some good feed back on the SCJ TB.

Dave
2HP

PS: What were your new Dyno numbers with the dual CJ TB?

He did not dyno it with the 65mm on it, that throttle body belonged to somebody else. He installed it and said he test drove the car for twenty minutes without a problem.
I've searched and searched for issues with this TB and came up with a few that stated most of the problems were in the tune.
there are great reviews for him including me. My daily driver was tuned by him almost 10 years ago with no problems, that why I went back.
I know that there are defective parts out there and sometimes you get one, but the odds of two in a row are slim unless they were both made by the same person on the same day.

I emailed Shaun and he told me a few things. He said he prefers the monoblade when it works properly. said the main issue is the blade sticks due to the weight. He also said the he tunes each one diferently.
He has asked for some data logging and I watched his you tube video prior to doing it. I noticed in the video he says the angle of the blade at idle should be around seven degrees, mine was at one.
Sounds like an electronic issue to me

I have your exact same set-up now that you have the 65mm TB, including the long tubes and H pipe. That is an impressive Dyno number you were able to get. I am at 454 using a Correction Faction: SAE Smoothing 5.

With 10 events this summer the car has done very well no codes until a week ago. The recent codes were mis-fires and only when idling. My Ford mechanic determined it is running too lean at idle and my tuner is trying to determine if he can correct this. Not a big deal as it only occurs when idling thus I am heading to another event on Monday without changing anything.

LS110 said:
I have your exact same set-up now that you have the 65mm TB, including the long tubes and H pipe. That is an impressive Dyno number you were able to get. I am at 454 using a Correction Faction: SAE Smoothing 5.

With 10 events this summer the car has done very well no codes until a week ago. The recent codes were mis-fires and only when idling. My Ford mechanic determined it is running too lean at idle and my tuner is trying to determine if he can correct this. Not a big deal as it only occurs when idling thus I am heading to another event on Monday without changing anything.

I have very similar codes also from idling a lot.. They seem harmless to me. Replaced and checked everything under the sun except wiring harness and ecu itself.

I run the cj tb fltuned by Shaun.. Have not seen a wrench blink yet.

How does the car run now?

LS110
I have not gotten the 65mm yet, I'm working with Shaun with the monoblade still. He told me he prefers them. I also don't think the 480 was corrected because that sounded high to me. I was expecting between 450 and 465

I have not seen the wrench light since the new throttle body was installed. It runs a little high at startup but then evens out.
I contacted Shaun yesterday and told him about the 1 degree throttle angle and he told me to take the CAI off, turn the key on but not start the car and press the gas pedal to the floor and the blade should move to the full open position. It did, so he is having me data log for him anyway.
I see why he is so highly recomended

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Shaun is very good at what he does. 2 tips, don't argue with him, follow the directions he asks you to perform. Don't tell him what other tuners say, he has his methods of tuning and is very specific on the parts combinations he is comfortable tuning. The work he did for me has been outstanding. I run the SCJ TB 455 rwhp SAE 5, on a stock '11 GT long block with ARH 1 7/8" LTs and Ford Racing CAI. Stock GT cams.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors