The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SUPER GT CUP. California

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'm pretty much only a second faster than my pace last time I went to BW 🤷‍♂️
Which was when?
During the Spring/Summer/Autumn months, you won't often put down a great time at any session outside of your first morning run, anything after 11 or so will see the track temperatures rise with the sun and tires beating down on it, and you'll be down on power with the air temp rising and the air density lowering. Combine that with the day runoffs kicking up dirt, like at the bottom of Phil Hill, where you risk sliding through the a few inches of dirt, or carry your line further out, where those less direct lines lead to sub-optimal entry/exit speeds.

The overheating was when I ran a faster time haha which was a few weeks ago. The ironic part was I had ran it on the 3rd session because there was a bit less traffic. But I was overheating on the 2nd and 3rd session and left early to not risk any damage to the car

FWIW, you can put those bars it a press and bend them to move the ends around.
I've even welded on them, but don't quench them, just let them normalize slowly.

sfo
FWIW, you can put those bars it a press and bend them to move the ends around.
I've even welded on them, but don't quench them, just let them normalize slowly.

Are you talking about my post where the current FP rear bar has unfavorable angles to the endlinks and control arm? Are you talking about heating the ends and bending them? If so are you sure you can just heat and bend to where you want?

Heating and bending with air cooling anneals the part (softens it). Then it will deform with load and not return to former shape because the part is soft. Heating and quenching hardened the part and may subject the part to fracture. Sway bars have a proper temper and heat treat so that the metal yields within its elastic limit and it will return to shape. We can't do proper heat treating at home as far as I know.

I'm not challenging you. My statements can be over generalized and there may very well be reasons for what you say will work just fine. I'm tying to learn.

Are you talking about my post where the current FP rear bar has unfavorable angles to the endlinks and control arm? Are you talking about heating the ends and bending them? If so are you sure you can just heat and bend to where you want?

Heating and bending with air cooling anneals the part (softens it). Then it will deform with load and not return to former shape because the part is soft. Heating and quenching hardened the part and may subject the part to fracture. Sway bars have a proper temper and heat treat so that the metal yields within its elastic limit and it will return to shape. We can't do proper heat treating at home as far as I know.

I'm not challenging you. My statements can be over generalized and there may very well be reasons for what you say will work just fine. I'm tying to learn.
I have built some home made sway bars, at some point I had to weld tabs on the ends in order to make attachment points. I'm not advocating that you destroy your bars arbitrarily and without forethought. I'm saying "I was able to pull it off",. Fabman could prolly give you some insight on this,
the better method, if you don't have to weld on them, is with a press
I don't mind being challenged at all, no worries.
What I'm saying is..
Sometimes you have to take the bull by the tail and face the situation.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel