The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Super Huge Benefits to being a member of TMO !!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
With my local track under 14 foot of water, at one point, from the flooding Missouri and Platte rivers, I was jonesing to go somewhere to race and see how the ton of Winter changes to the Boss S fared. Decided to go to Pueblo and with freakish Winter Blizzards in Nebraska, getting there was a major detour in the planned route - this is another story for another time. On Friday , during a Open Track Practice run, I stripped a nut and was left with only four solid citizens holding on my left rear rim. Of course in leaving days early to miss inclement weather I forgot a few items , and spare lug nuts were on the whoops list. Couple calls to Tymeslayer , as I knew he was coming to the event, saved my bacon , as he had spare nuts in spades. I was able to go out and get some laps in when he arrived around 3 pm. I had spent an hour asking around the paddock and no one had the proper lug nut , so Tyme not only saved the day, he saved the weekend!! I may tease Tyme at times, but it is all good natured fun and I am proud to call him friend and fellow TMO junkie!

Saturday found me in second overall in my run group after qualifying and I felt I had a decent handle on the track from practice and asking some buddies questions about this technical course in the Colorado foothills - good info from old TMO member John Scheier who now runs a BMW in the heavily contested GTS2 Class in the Rocky Mountain NASA Region. Got a great start in the race and held off a Nascar Late model for about 6 laps and then he snuck by me in Turn One ( turned out to be my Achilles heel corner) , yet held on for first in a small class and second overall.

Got to meet Steve R. ( tracktardicus ) and he offered to take me out in his GT 350R for some pointers and since I was a bit tired from the drive down, Friday practice, and the events of Saturday I declined at that point - more later.

Sunday found us with perfect racing weather and my one concern of a possible loose hub or warped rotor, ended up being the proverbial clagg buildup on the left front tire! Since all seemed good I was looking forward to having an even better day on the Sabbath. Qualified third behind the same Late Model and Cody Powell in a pristine AI Mustang that was a rocket ship with a NASA ( yep, pun) Astronaut for the pilot. He was on another Planet compared to my time qualifying and folks mentioned he is Nationally competitive! I was napping when the flag dropped , unlike my killer start on Saturday, and Turn 1 , my Achilles Heel , made the race a Black Sabbath with the Late Model and A1 pilots destroying me entering and exiting this seemingly easy turn? As they rocketed away, I hunkered down determined to stay ahead of a Radical and some other quick machines. Hung onto third overall and ran my best lap of the weekend ( improved each time on track ) and after lunch I decided to take Tracktardicus up on his kind offer of an instruction lap in his GT 350 R.

Huge Senor moment riding with Steve, as I realized John Scheier had tried to explain to me on Friday how to do Turn One ( I seemed to mirror how most drivers entered there) , yet it was quickly obvious I had misinterpreted his analysis. Steve took the Shelby from around 130-140mph and stood her on her nose right near the inside Apex and then footballed the corner. My error was so great , as I was starting from the outside of the straight , braking a day earlier and then trying to move over later, fairly close to the Apex - boy was mine a fat football turn. To say I screwed up the corner would be an understatement, I have done this long enough to realize I probably left an entire second or more in that turn alone. Fortunately riding with Trackspeedicus ( the boy can drive !!) I discovered I had the right lines on the rest of the course, which was some consultation after the monumental failure to get turn one even remotely correct. Lesson learned, if in Colorado and Steve asks you if you would like a test ride ( not once , he asked me twice on Saturday), forget about being tired and jump at the chance!! Riding with him was more fun than Space Mountain at Disneyworld!

So , what the heck does all this have to do with being a member at TMO you might ask, well it is simple, Tyme saved my weekend , helped me with my car, and Steve showed me the killer line and was helpful from the time we met. So building on friendships started here , made for a great weekend, and I look forward to running with these guys again ---- so find your TMO buddies when you go to the track!!!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I didn't find turn one as hard as turn "Not So Magnificent" seven (I struggled greatly with and killed my speed) or turn ten (Front end of the drag strip) where the rubber from the straight liners was built up. But I got more seat tyme and may soon lose my self proclaimed "Pace Car" moniker.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Turn 7 is tricky and involves a quick downshift to second under the heavy braking going into the said turn , drifting out wide and then a tight cutback towards the inside curbing at the end of 7 -- powering out and using all the track to get power down as early as possible. Turn 10, with all the rubber down from drag racer rubber is quite slick and I agree that it made for various decisions on how to exit. Either tightening the arc and going down between the two lanes ( clean and clear concrete ) or make a smooth turn to the outside edge getting on the power progressively. Turn 1 feels quite good the way I was doing it, and seemed to be the line many were using, but Tardicus showed me the error of my ways! Though I was told to come in close to the Apex ( I entered from far left ), he showed me that the fast line meant you should move your car to the severe right, brake late in a straight line and the football the turn ---big rush from high speed, and so much quicker. Steve helped me experience an epiphany that will work wonders when visiting Pueblo in the future.

Will try to make another long trip to Colorado, so I can run with my good buddy Tyme at High Plains Raceway. Tyme is a fun guy , but also modest and with little ego. He is a much better driver than he portrays himself on TMO and his focus is to go fast and have fun. Can't have a better attitude than that?!

Turn 7 at PMP is unique.

Every time you get out of the turn you say "well I messed that one up."

But at some point you start gaining on people there instead of losing ground.

I think I need to ride with Steve next time I'm down there, I'm having a tough time figuring out your description, although I believe I'm driving it in a similar way.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Definitely ride with Steve next time you were there and he is also. Turn 7 came to me reasonably quickly for a tough turn as I was blessed to be behind a couple of fast drivers that really showed me the slow, fast line. But, that ride with Mr. Ross, showed me my severe loss ( of understanding ) about turn one. It is a late braking ( from high speed ) turn that rewards the bold. For Instruction at Pueblo, Ross is da Boss!

TMO Supporting Vendors