The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Supercharger for the Boss 302

What supercharger to use on the boss?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Assuming it will not be put on a twisty track. None will have any drivetrain warranty. The Ford racing will have to be a tunner kit.

You forgot Vortech.

With that said either a vortech or the procharger.. The roots/twin screw setup is good for low end torque but won't run out the back door like a centrifical will..

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Procharger nice top end pull just like the boss in NA form. A PD blower would just a bit much I think unless you just like to smoke the tires.

Justin said:
Procharger nice top end pull just like the boss in NA form. A PD blower would just a bit much I think unless you just like to smoke the tires.

It's a very hard decision the procharger has alot of good feedback they are pretty much kicking butt at the track but damn the thing is kinda lumpy and I have not got the chance to see one in person YET ::)

I'm voting Procharger. Seems to have a power curve similar to what the Boss is designed for. I just can't get over it's sound. I've only seem videos though so take that for what it's worth.

If you were considering Vortech/Paxton.. Beefcake is having a great sale on a 750 hp kit tuned by Lund.

You should sell the boss and buy a GT500. There are so many reasons that the GT500 is better suited for a supercharger and it would cost you way more in the end to have what the GT500 gives you in the first place. Just one item the Boss has the wrong transmission for a SCer.

908ssp said:
You should sell the boss and buy a GT500. There are so many reasons that the GT500 is better suited for a supercharger and it would cost you way more in the end to have what the GT500 gives you in the first place. Just one item the Boss has the wrong transmission for a SCer.

+1. The Boss 302 motor, at 11:1 compression, ain't optimized for forced induction; the GT500 5.8, at 8.4:1, is. Why go through all the trouble and cost of messing with a perfectly good naturally aspirated Boss 302 when there's 800+ HP easily achievable from an already-blown Shelby GT500 with a better Tremec tranny in what's otherwise the same chassis? Your car, your choice, but I'd think long and hard before going down that road and potentially ruining your original Boss 302 motor.

dabossinne said:
908ssp said:

+1. The Boss 302 motor, at 11:1 compression, ain't optimized for forced induction; the GT500 5.8, at 8.4:1, is. Why go through all the trouble and cost of messing with a perfectly good naturally aspirated Boss 302 when there's 800+ HP easily achievable from an already-blown Shelby GT500 with a better Tremec tranny in what's otherwise the same chassis? Your car, your choice, but I'd think long and hard before going down that road and potentially ruining your original Boss 302 motor.

Your point has been on my mind except the cost I can save money and do everything to my boss including a trans swap if wanted. The boss trans is plenty strong enough I just want around 550hp not much more then what i have now so I would think it would be cheaper just sticking with the boss. Adding an extra 100hp is not to bad.

jeepinocala said:
dabossinne said:
908ssp said:

Your point has been on my mind except the cost I can save money and do everything to my boss including a trans swap if wanted. The boss trans is plenty strong enough I just want around 550hp not much more then what i have now so I would think it would be cheaper just sticking with the boss. Adding an extra 100hp is not to bad.

jeepinocala, I'd stick with the Boss. Yes the GT500 is better suited for this purpose, but selling/trading then buying a GT500 is not going to save you any money, heartache maybe but not money. Choose a reputable tuner who knows what they are doing and it can be done safely. JDM Engineering comes to mind (www.teamjdm.com). No I am not a affiliated with JDM. Just seen their handy work a couple times.

I am sorry but anybody who say converting to SC is cheaper hasn't done it. The gear ratios of the Mt82 are all wrong and the input shaft is too weak to handle SC torque. Either leave your Boss alone or sell it.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
guys he is just going to run a base kit......he isnt looking for 1000rwhp or to break records. The procharger kit will be fine on the stock input shift to the trans.

908ssp said:
I am sorry but anybody who say converting to SC is cheaper hasn't done it. The gear ratios of the Mt82 are all wrong and the input shaft is too weak to handle SC torque. Either leave your Boss alone or sell it.

908ssp, I'm well aware a supercharger is not cheap. However the cost of trading/selling the boss and then buying a GT500 priced well north of a Boss is not cheap either. Additionally, the question was not should jeepinocala buy GT500, but which supercharger to use on his Boss. To that I made my recommendation.

I voted Procharger, mostly because I like that it keeps the stock Boss intake manifold.

http://www.procharger.com/2012_boss_mustang.shtml

I also like the Vortech/Paxton for the same reason.

If I were going for big numbers, I think I would pick a KB.

While a GT500 would obviously be a better starting point, now that you have the Boss I say boost it! After all, it's not my money and I'm curious to know the results :) Seriously, though, looking at the numbers, I think it makes sense. A new GT500 with options is something like $60-65K, so even if you factor in a transmission swap (for example a T-56 at approximately $5K), you should still come out ahead.

An older and/or used GT500, however, is a different story. Prices seem pretty reasonable since the 2013 came out. Might be worth looking into before you make any final decisions.

George

I am trying to stay away from the gt500 I have thought about it and really like the boss it seems to me to be a better car all around and in price. There is not a comparison to a gt500 in price as for the supercharger kit is much cheaper and I am looking at 6-8 psi as far as the transmission I have no worries it will handle at the least 600hp have already seen this I am looking at 550 ish hp. I am trying to setup a chance to check out the procharger asap it's not my first choice but might be the better for this car. And the rpm will be limited to 7500 still.

As for the boss engine handling an extra 100-150 hp if they can do this i'm not to worried of mine. Im sure theirs is not stock i would hope anyway ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmmTBhyoyss

TMO Supporting Vendors