The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Supercharging the Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know this goes against the original design and for the record i really like N/A.

That being said, the need for speed is still there and I've been looking at Whipple/Roush/VMP. When I do race it is 1/8 or 1/4 mile. I know I should have bought a Shelby, but I really wanted a Boss. I think the Roadrunner engine has a lot more in it.

Any owners who have done this?

Looking for feedback.

Thanks

What blower were you looking to get? I really like the TVS on these cars, Justin at VMP keeps trying to get me to pick up his VMP kit and with that impressive H/E the heat issues pretty well taken care of. I've really pondered it but I just can't put a blower on the Boss, doesn't feel right! lol

Let us know, I can talk to Justin for ya or build you a custom Roush or Whipple kit.

Jayman33 said:
What blower were you looking to get? I really like the TVS on these cars, Justin at VMP keeps trying to get me to pick up his VMP kit and with that impressive H/E the heat issues pretty well taken care of. I've really pondered it but I just can't put a blower on the Boss, doesn't feel right! lol

Let us know, I can talk to Justin for ya or build you a custom Roush or Whipple kit.

I'm impressed with Justin's Kit and I know he's got a Boss. I communicated with him before I picked up my Boss in Orlando, but I just didn't have time or extra funds to add any mods then.

My daughter works for a Ford Dealer (Roush also), so I'm sure I can buy through her if I decided on those brands. I'm just doing the research now and haven't made up my mind. I'm really a fan of our N/A high revvvin stangs; but the added power is intriguing.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I plan to buy either the new procharger i-1 supercharger as it is the best of both worlds roots style and centrifical.

or I would go with the beefcake special package.

I heard the boss that ran 202 mph at the Texas mile two years ago only now popped the motor. Tried to up the boost and hp level I think

It ran at 850 hp for a long time

gremlinsteve said:
I heard the boss that ran 202 mph at the Texas mile two years ago only now popped the motor. Tried to up the boost and hp level I think

It ran at 850 hp for a long time

I've seen that car (racerat). Haven't heard about engine.

I'm not trying to push to extremes. Just get more out of the Roadrunner; keep the stock MT-82. 600+ RWHP ???

should live all day long at those numbers.
mine will too.

i jave noticed once above the 900rwhp mark they block out the cyl on the blocks. mar will sleeve a block cheap enough that will allow you to make more and not break it as easy..cheap insurance

Since I live close to Orlando I went with VMP last july.I went with the 85 mm pulley and still got 600rwhp and 527 lb's of torque. Justin did the install and dyno tune. Very dependable and no issues so far. Took her in on monday and got her back on tuesday. Love the extra power and no blower whine inless I put the pedle to the floor.Maintenance is new belt every 15,000 miles ans blower oil change every 1000,000 miles. I like the 2 10" spal fans on the heat exchanger, never runs hot.

chefron50 said:
Since I live close to Orlando I went with VMP last july.I went with the 85 mm pulley and still got 600rwhp and 527 lb's of torque. Justin did the install and dyno tune. Very dependable and no issues so far. Took her in on monday and got her back on tuesday. Love the extra power and no blower whine inless I put the pedle to the floor.Maintenance is new belt every 15,000 miles ans blower oil change every 1000,000 miles. I like the 2 10" spal fans on the heat exchanger, never runs hot.

Thanks for feedback.

I know how the Boss is N/A and trying to hook up in 1st. What's it like with the VMP?

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
I just can't stop the idea from playing on my brain, as well. I could already use wider and more sticky tires to put the stock power to the ground... ...but I can't help wanting a substantial power increase to help maintain the Boss legend on the street. 8). I know it's so much more than just power but still. ;D

What are the reasons you guys have/will go with a supercharger over turbos? I think a little turbo lag could be good in this car but the added under hood temps aren't something I really want. BTW, would turbos stifle the stock power before boost builds or can you tell no difference off-boost? I've had several turbo cars but never added one to a non-boosted car.

I always use traction control on the streets,it only took one scare,I turned traction cintrol off to see what would happen on an empty side street and when I hit 3rd gear I was doing over 65 mph pinned to the seat and went off the right shoulder of the road,no issues just slowed down but enough to scare me so I might floor it in 3rd gear every so often but always use traction control,I live in Fl. so hot days great traction,cold days even with traction control on at 4500 rpm's I still spin tires but the car will always go straight.

i I really need to stop reading these threads. I feel the Boss should stay in it's n/a form but dam it's tempting to go with a Procharger for the bolt on power adder. I haven't been to a drag strip yet but I love getting on it entering the highway but on a road course/ back roads I would be worried about heat soak and wiping out from to much power coming out of a turn. Hum. Maybe I should get the go with headers/intake/tune the suspension first.

racered302 said:
i I really need to stop reading these threads. I feel the Boss should stay in it's n/a form but dam it's tempting to go with a Procharger for the bolt on power adder. I haven't been to a drag strip yet but I love getting on it entering the highway but on a road course/ back roads I would be worried about heat soak and wiping out from to much power coming out of a turn. Hum. Maybe I should get the go with headers/intake/tune the suspension first.

I think you are correct: do the headers/intake/tune/suspension. By that time I might have my supercharger, then you can add yours!!!

ps. I said when I got my Boss, that the N/A was really what I liked and wanted and would never change that…..

TMO Supporting Vendors