The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suspension Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Charleston SC
I am new to the forum and apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge regarding suspension components and set-up.

That said, I recently bought a 2020 GT Base 6 SPD and would like to entertain hot laps at a couple road courses available in my area. I have replaced the stock wheels with SVE wheels (10/11x19) w 305's front... and 325's rear... for the street. The larger tires have amplified the "softness" of the stock suspension.

I have been reading reviews on several adjustable coilover "packages" eg Roush, SR, Steeda, Eibach, Bilstein, etc... but believe someone here may prevent me from wasting a lot of money, only to find out there are better options.

My intent is not to build a track car, but to have a very "trackable" car... that I can still jump in for a road trip. I am very willing to sacrifice some comfort... but prefer the ride not become reminencent of a state dump truck😉 I would also like to budget 1,500 or less, if possible.
Any advice will be highly appreciated.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
First....Welcome to the site.
Second. Drive the car before you do any upgrades. See if the car is better than you are then decide where to spend money.
Then look at some of the "Systems" Ford offers. A low cost well sorted track day system can be had there without a whole lot of thought or expense.

Since you have wheel to wheel experience, I assume you have the safety items you need already.

Again....Welcome.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Utah
(From an S197 driver...) I ran Ford Racing suspension components on my car for the first three years of track/street driving. It is a great way to go, complete package as mentioned, and very marketable. When I was ready to move up to coil overs, I sold them to a fellow Mustang driver. He continues to use them two years later. Good quality stuff.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
These cars are front heavy and ultimately they understeer, you need 11" square wheels and 305s at both ends for the track. For sure you don't need more tire on the rear for road course work. As mentioned, the Ford Performance track suspension is the easiest way to make the car better on the track, that kit works wonders, probably because it's been engineered by the people who know the car best. Hard to go wrong with that kit and it is also quite liveable on the street. The problem with coilovers and adjustable suspensions is you can engineer yourself right out of the game, unless you have a very advanced knowledge of suspension dynamics I'd leave that alone.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I agree with @TMSBOSS ; just drive it first. And if you do decide to mod, avoid Steeda.

Welcome and happy tracking! :)

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Just going to jump on the dogpile here and endorse what everyone else said. Drive it as-is first then:

Make it stop (better brakes, brake fluid, etc)
Make it turn (improved handling with a square wheel/tire setup and a Ford suspension package)
THEN make it go faster (power mods, most people erroneously do this first when they don't need it at all).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
TX
I am new to the forum and apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge regarding suspension components and set-up.

That said, I recently bought a 2020 GT Base 6 SPD and would like to entertain hot laps at a couple road courses available in my area. I have replaced the stock wheels with SVE wheels (10/11x19) w 305's front... and 325's rear... for the street. The larger tires have amplified the "softness" of the stock suspension.

I have been reading reviews on several adjustable coilover "packages" eg Roush, SR, Steeda, Eibach, Bilstein, etc... but believe someone here may prevent me from wasting a lot of money, only to find out there are better options.

My intent is not to build a track car, but to have a very "trackable" car... that I can still jump in for a road trip. I am very willing to sacrifice some comfort... but prefer the ride not become reminencent of a state dump truck😉 I would also like to budget 1,500 or less, if possible.
Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Monotube shocks are your best bet. Bilstein would be my first choice if you are on a budget AND want aftermarket suspension. Couple that with swift, hyper-co, or eibach springs. I also recommend the cortex racing rear control arms to give you round end mounts so that you can run a traditional round end shock mount in the rear AND have a true coilover in the rear. The factory ride rate is actually really good, and puts you in the realm of a rally setup (albeit without the suspension travel). I will say $1500 for a "very trackable" car is a low budget and you can spend that on tires to get as much performance benefit as you would in an equally priced off the shelf coilover setup.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I'm 50/50 for success with them. Motor mounts. Absolute junk, red ones useless and even the black ones melted from heat with stock exhaust. They gave me more pucks but even after wrapping them in heavy gauge foil they melted. They were good about supplying replacement ones, but when they fail you can't reliably shift so they had to go. Put in BMR, problem solved.
H-pipe resonator delete so far seems to be hanging in there though.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I knew there were problems with the motor mounts, but this thread was about suspension parts.I was wondering why people were warning against their suspension components. I have not heard of issues with their suspension parts. I have had springs, rear control arms, camber plates and sway bars under my car for 5+ yrs now without issue.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
I've got quite a few Steeda parts and had good impressions on most of it. I've been dissatisfied with their K-member brace (the BMR version is a much better design) and their rear brake rotors.

Their dual rate springs on Ford Performance Track struts/shocks work great for me. I'm not as competitive as many on here so I'm just one data point.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I knew there were problems with the motor mounts, but this thread was about suspension parts.I was wondering why people were warning against their suspension components. I have not heard of issues with their suspension parts. I have had springs, rear control arms, camber plates and sway bars under my car for 5+ yrs now without issue.

If they can't make a motor mount that can live, are you really going to trust them with suspension pieces? Your car, your money, have a good one.

TMO Supporting Vendors