The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suspension bolts replace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I got a printout from Ford of all the bolts and nuts they replace when doing suspensions. They say to replace:
all the strut tower nuts,
front and back nuts and bolts for lower control arms,
the bottom strut to spindle bolts and nuts
bolts for UCA's and brackets.
Is this what you all did or do you re use some of these? I dont want to replace if I dont have to.
Thanks guy's.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Jason said:
Thanks, are you doing this because you trust the origionals, or cause you just don't want to buy new ones.
?

Both. I think the whole 'one-time use fastener' language came out to protect both Ford and Dealerships from legal issues with re-using bolts that had pre-applied thread sealer (loctite). As long at the threads do not show any sign of damage or wear from multiple installations, I'd reuse them.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Jason:
I think you pose a very good question that everyone who installs bolt-on upgrade or mod has to ask at one time or another.

Here is a link to a website that speaks to this issue:

http://www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/online/2006/121106.pdf

This is a quote from this site that got me to rethink some of this. "Torque-to-yield fasteners are designed to stretch. The stretching occurs during the torquing process. These fasteners become out-of-round and cannot be reused because of the excess amount of stress that was forced on them during installation. It is the design of this type of fastener that requires it be replaced after it has been loosened or removed."

Another reason is due to special coatings, applied to fasteners. The above site gives some specific examples by Make. One Ford example is, replace the bolts at the Pinion flange, when replacing a DS. The Trans output shaft flange bolts are not mentioned as one time use bolts.

And, when I did my rear suspension, I reused some of the original bolts and have not had a problem. Take a look at the site, there is some good information there.

Good luck with you mods.

302 Hi Pro

Grant 302

The TTY concern has gone way too far on the internet. I haven't found a single TTY bolt in the suspension. The only place I know of that regularly uses TTY bolts are the head bolts.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Grant is correct, no TTY bolts on the suspension. What Ford does use are deformed nuts that are self locking. Use of chemical threadlock is what I do on all critical fasteners. I also replaced all suspension bolts last summer after 2 1/2 seasons on track as a precaution. Cheap insurance.
Steve

Thanks for all the help guy's. Still havent recieved the parts yet, but I think I will just re use all the bolts unless new ones come in the BMR packages like they did with my Shaftmasters 3" aluminum drivshaft.

So I got my BMR lower, uppers, mount and relo brackets and they came with new hardware!!!!! I'll use the new ones and save the old ones for oem parts when I sell it when I'm 80 years old and need some monney. lol

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
It took me awhile to find this thread for a question I had. With my car being six months old the question of reusing bolts (etc) w/loctite or ordering new ones is my question. I think I will be good with re-using the hardware when I'm re-installing everything again (springs. sway bars and hubs). Your advice is appreciated.

It took me awhile to find this thread for a question I had. With my car being six months old the question of reusing bolts (etc) w/loctite or ordering new ones is my question. I think I will be good with re-using the hardware when I'm re-installing everything again (springs. sway bars and hubs). Your advice is appreciated.
Reuse with loctite. Wont hurt anything

If you are talking about the caliper-to-bracket bolts, I would consider sourcing a good, hard 12.9 bolt.
McMaster-Carr is a good, easy place to find these bolts.
These bolts can be used over and over many, many times.
If they are M12 bolts, torque to 80 lb-ft, and call it a day.
Make sure there is a regular washer under the head on the caliper.
No threadlocker required. If it makes you feel better, use a little blue. But it's not going to matter anyway with the heat.
Just something to consider.

Additionally, if you drive your car hard, and you are reusing bolts, I would consider NEW bolts for the following:
FLCA forward bolt
Strut to spindle bolts
These bolts do stretch out after a few uses (torqued correctly), where one might consider replacing them.

Grant 302

Additionally, if you drive your car hard, and you are reusing bolts, I would consider NEW bolts for the following:
FLCA forward bolt
Strut to spindle bolts
These bolts do stretch out after a few uses (torqued correctly), where one might consider replacing them.

The strut to spindle bolts were updated by/for MY2011. There are documented issues with loosening on earlier S197s. Consider upgrading if you aren't using the newer ones with fine pitch threads. There haven't been any problems I know of with 'stretching' using the newer fasteners.

TMO Supporting Vendors