The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suspension bolts replace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would replace them. It’s not that big of a deal and it will give you piece of mind down the road. The “savings” of re-using the bolts is negligible.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
And that's perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with that in practice, like I said. We all make our own risk choices.

I've used a tensile testing rig and I know there are sample variations. 'Proven' under my use and anything short of a massive collision or off track excursion and I would generally re-use *any* non-TTY bolt. If the threads are clean and there is no visible sign of deformation, necking or otherwise, and camber settings don't mysteriously go out-of-whack, I'll reuse it.

But a new fastener from the bin...no idea if you happen to get one with a defect. Sure, that's not likely or probable. But in any materials testing, I've found outliers that fail earlier than expected.

Any of these bolts would have a problem staying tight and maintaining the camber setting long before failure. There's a lot of fear about this on the internet along with the TTY misinformation. That's probably not gonna change.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Good advice, on both.

TTY, junk when removed. Bolts with one time use thread locker. Inspect and reuse with locktite after pass.

I have reused suspension bolts too many times to dump after one use. Change a wheel seal and the track bar comes out. Not buying new bolts for that.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel