The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suspension Failure....You guys should see this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I do like that it doesn't say how this happened, though it does look pretty thin. The metal is not that thin for their LCA's and brackets.

Did you see the pic on the last page.....They say it's Chromoly and TIG welded...I'm no expert but...This sh-t won't be on my car ever.

thebull said:
Did you see the pic on the last page.....They say it's Chromoly and TIG welded...I'm no expert but...This sh-t won't be on my car ever.

I understand what you're saying, and I am not entirely defending Whiteline, though I do love they way their products changed my car, however to post something online with a blurry picture and a statement that something broke doesn't mean the product is faulty.

I would say torn metal is unacceptable.......I'm just simply putting it out there for safety's sake.

isrboss

WL has a good rep with other vehicles, but new to the Mustang chassis except for sways. My best guess would be poorly engineered part on WL and some wheel hop got that upper. My front sway is WL and it is made for the 05-09 S197 and weighs a ton, so they didn't play around with the sway bar material.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
anyone read along and follow on to the link with the UCA videos of stock vs bmr? those were pretty interesting to watch.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDJ92ZXax6Y[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gLQ7Fexj2c[/youtube]

Very cool...The stock bushing takes a beating....Guess I'll be buying a UCA next week....I might go with a heim set-up though or the Ford Racing piece.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
So, I added delrin bushing'd upper control arms to my 1995 GT and is made things way more solid but did add a lot of noise to the rear end. I imagine that these do also. Who has made this change and how much additional noise is there? After seeing that video, I am thinking about this now too.... Um, WOW!

Nice video, whoever did this, they did a fantastic job. Makes me want to go out and buy my own Go Pro!!!

John

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
jneary said:
So, I added delrin bushing'd upper control arms to my 1995 GT and is made things way more solid but did add a lot of noise to the rear end. I imagine that these do also. Who has made this change and how much additional noise is there? After seeing that video, I am thinking about this now too.... Um, WOW!

Nice video, whoever did this, they did a fantastic job. Makes me want to go out and buy my own Go Pro!!!

John
I have a steeda adjustable UCA and bracket and I only noticed a slight increase hard to hear unless you have the windows up and radio down.

Yikes. Check out the Kenny Brown UCA. I doubt that beefy sucker would ever break like the Whiteline.

http://store.kennybrown.com/product/rear-suspension/u-link-rear-upper-control-arm-module-2010-2014-mustang-and-shelby-gt500

28665.jpg

IMG_80823_zps288f6213.jpg

aarcox2013

New Boss In Town
I looked over the posts in that forum (using the aforementioned link), and that product is both frightening and pure garbage. That gauge of steel would be decimated by going over a speed bump. Whiteline should have known better - that product will never go into my car! What complete and utter trash - so glad nobody has been hurt.

drano38

Wayne
Thats not good.

Guess I need to keep a close eye on my Whiteline Watts link, since it looks like the drop bracket and brace are made of the same steel.

Oh great - NOW I find this out after I just about had an aneurism installing mine a few weeks ago!?! I'll be following that SVT thread closely.

I will say this much - the WL UCA is a very solid feeling piece and the differential side of it (which is what broke in the original photo) is not as thin or dainty looking as it appears in that pic. However, I still am looking at BMR and Steeda UCAs just in case!

I have no real opinion on the quality of the arm but what I do see is that it looks like the arm was installed improperly. I am not sure if I can word this correctly, but here you go. The bolt on the axle housing side looks like it was tightened with the axle housing hanging down, such as the position the axle would be with the car on a lift. That bolt should be tightened down with the axle housing at normal ride height. If tightened down with the axle extended down, the UCA gets clamp to the axle bushing in the extended position. Once the axle collapses to proper ride height, it will try and twist the UCA downward, putting a load on the axle end.

06mach1 said:
I have no real opinion on the quality of the arm but what I do see is that it looks like the arm was installed improperly. I am not sure if I can word this correctly, but here you go. The bolt on the axle housing side looks like it was tightened with the axle housing hanging down, such as the position the axle would be with the car on a lift. That bolt should be tightened down with the axle housing at normal ride height. If tightened down with the axle extended down, the UCA gets clamp to the axle bushing in the extended position. Once the axle collapses to proper ride height, it will try and twist the UCA downward, putting a load on the axle end.

The bushing is not free to rotate against the mount or in the arm? Doesn't sound like a bushing to me if that is true, just a shock absorber.

TMO Supporting Vendors