The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suspension Failure....You guys should see this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isrboss

Champale said:
Hello isrboss - My Bosses (first a '12 and now a '13LS) have been wonderful cars, more fun than just about anything I've ever driven, but even with the upgrades I had made, I never thought that the rear axle seemed as planted as I would have liked. The Steeda UCA was the final piece of the puzzle for me and I am super happy with it (and the Steeda bracket). The traction in a straight line and in corners is markedly better.

Is the car worthless without an aftermarket UCA? Of course not. But . . . it made a huge difference in how planted rear tires feel now. I think that anyone who has changed out their UCA for an aftermarket one, be it Steeda, BMR, UPR, Roush, etc, would agree with me.

John

Hi Champale, I didn't even consider that the UCA helps with tuning balance. I have KW dampers along with most of the common rear end parts, except UCA and I now have the Boss balance more toward tight. Prior to going one setting stiffer on the front bar, I had a loose setup. Just by inspecting my tires and taking temps across them give me the info I need to say I'm planting the rear pretty good. Were talking road course track days, right?

Hah no trackdays for my Boss (I know, I know but sportbikes are my drug of choice). The KWs are a whole other kettle of fish and I would imagine the control you have from them is leaps and bounds better than the OE Tokicos (much like the Ohlins on my R1).

If you like to tinker, you should give try a new UCA and bracket. If you aren't happy with it, reinstall the OE one.

Good luck and I am jealous of your KWs!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I get the feeling you guys don't know what wheel hop feels like...... I was getting it on the street stock horribly stock ride height nothing in the suspension was changed. Did lower control arms helped just a tiny bit. Swapped out the upper and completely gone. And I wasn't launching it like I was at a drag strip. Just giving it full throttle from a roll. Wheel hop first through third.

Champale said:
Hello isrboss - My Bosses (first a '12 and now a '13LS) have been wonderful cars, more fun than just about anything I've ever driven, but even with the upgrades I had made, I never thought that the rear axle seemed as planted as I would have liked. The Steeda UCA was the final piece of the puzzle for me and I am super happy with it (and the Steeda bracket). The traction in a straight line and in corners is markedly better.

Is the car worthless without an aftermarket UCA? Of course not. But . . . it made a huge difference in how planted rear tires feel now. I think that anyone who has changed out their UCA for an aftermarket one, be it Steeda, BMR, UPR, Roush, etc, would agree with me.

John
i agree with you. You don't know how crappy the stock one is till you put something better in.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Justin said:
I get the feeling you guys don't know what wheel hop feels like...... I was getting it on the street stock horribly stock ride height nothing in the suspension was changed. Did lower control arms helped just a tiny bit. Swapped out the upper and completely gone. And I wasn't launching it like I was at a drag strip. Just giving it full throttle from a roll. Wheel hop first through third.
i agree with you. You don't know how crappy the stock one is till you put something better in.

Wow. That's a *little* insulting. I know what hop is. My '03 Cobra was the worst. The '11 GT was a surprise with the stick axle, and I expected it from the Boss since it's essentially the same as the Brembo GT.

While I believe that the UCA can eliminate the hop by restraining the movement, I think it's better to eliminate via better suspension geometry. I have the stock rear arms and bushings on the GT. It doesn't hop.

Justin

Grant 302 said:
Wow. That's a *little* insulting. I know what hop is. My '03 Cobra was the worst. The '11 GT was a surprise with the stick axle, and I expected it from the Boss since it's essentially the same as the Brembo GT.

While I believe that the UCA can eliminate the hop by restraining the movement, I think it's better to eliminate via better suspension geometry. I have the stock rear arms and bushings on the GT. It doesn't hop.
yeah so is telling me my geometry is off....

FWIW I had wheel hop with my Boss. I haven't had it since I installed the FR LCA's, P springs, 18000-C dampers and relocation brackets. I don't take mine to the strip but it was very noticeable with the stock components and tires.

I see this thread heading in the direction of no added value so it's on a very short leash.

Justin

NFSBOSS said:
FWIW I had wheel hop with my Boss. I haven't had it since I installed the FR LCA's, P springs, 18000-C dampers and relocation brackets. I don't take mine to the street but it was very noticeable with the stock components and tires.

I see this thread heading in the direction of no added value so it's on a very short leash.
+1

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:

Understood. I know this discussion is off topic, but I think some useful info might shake out. Maybe?

Justin said:
yeah so is telling me my geometry is off....

I'm not trying to say that, but for your drag racing purposes, best I can say is I don't know. But I can say that some of your earlier assessment is incorrect...especially as it relates to road racers who need to pay attention to grip at both axles and under very dynamic conditions. It is my opinion that road racers do not need to replace the UCA to control hop. The last thing I would add to a road race UCA is a binding point with a solid bushing. Either a heim joint or polyball type or rubber. Drag racers usually have much higher forward grip and will likely *need* stiffer connections at all joints due to the higher intended loads in order to eliminate hop. If a drag racer still experiences hop with stiffer joints, then geometry, along with tire grip are likely areas to look for hop reduction.

No insults intended here. There's more than one way to skin the cat. 8)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Grant 302 said:

A little direct for sure. You never need to worry if Justin is holding back. Not in his DNA. I like that. If you think Justin is intending to insult.....you don't know Justin.

I too had wheel hop. I am very familiar with wheel hop. I started in C-3 corvettes when they were still in production. They would squat and then hop then break.

My 2012 Boss stock would hop 1-3. The colder the weather the more pronounced the hop.

I swapped out the stock components for FRPP P Springs, Adjustable Panhard Bar, Relocation Brackets and urethane bushed LCAs. Wheels and tire are now Nitto NT-05s on PF-01s.

Zero hop now.

I have launched from 1500-3500. Hooking is still an issue, wheel hop is not.

UCA is still stock. Don't think stiffening UCA will improve launch. Will probably keep stock UCA until I see a reason/problem which a UCA will fix.

isrboss

steveespo said:
ISR you can't go wrong with the Ford Racing parts, downside is they are very expensive, as you know you have to buy the rear bushings and retainers separately. That makes them about $1000 a pair. Steeda sell factory Ford arms with the tall ball joint and both front and rear bushings and mounts. I paid $479 a pair shipped when they had one of their Holiday sales. Of course this got me the EPAS shudder which cost another $1000 to fix.

Anyway, like you I go for quality and reputation before price, but sometimes you find all 3.
Steve

Sounds like a solid deal, thanks for the info Steve.

TMO Supporting Vendors