The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suspension Goodies are IN!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just installed my new stuff - here's some pics:

The "P" Springs:
IMG_0378.jpg

18000-C Shocks
IMG_0377.jpg

MM Caster/Camber Plates and FR Jounce Kit
IMG_0376.jpg

And installed! Better pics coming, these were just quick shots:

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Install wasn't too bad, and I had an alignment done after I finished. -2.5 camber is where I set things for now.

Haven't been able to really push things just yet, but I have to say, what's been said before was true - the ride isn't harsher per se, but you do feel everything much better, and everything is more sharp, precise and planted. You can really feel what the rear end is doing much better. And the turn-in is exactly what I was after. Body roll and brake dive are greatly reduced, and the car feels so much more balanced and planted coming through the turns.

It didn't drop the car much. From an eyeball standpoint, front looks unchanged. The rear drop is there though. I am really pleased, I didn't want to slam the car. This is what I was hoping to get out of it, drop-wise.

You'll notice I didn't get sways, and adjustable panhard bar, and rear LCA's and brackets like everyone else is doing. In the spec I am building to, those mods would knock me right out of my class, and so I decided to see if this was doable without them. So far, I've found no added wheel hop or problems putting down the power on corner exit - it's quite a bit improved, really. If I end up running square with my r-comps, I'll soften the rear shocks and keep the rear tire pressures 2-3 psi lower and see what I get. I'm holding some points in reserve that I'd like to spend on other things in the build, but that I can spend on sways or panhard bars if it ends up that I must.

Anyway, my next event is at Autobahn, where I have detailed lap times for the stock system. We'll see if this improves things. But already I have a great deal of confidence it will.

LateApex said:
Anyway, my next event is at Autobahn, where I have detailed lap times for the stock system. We'll see if this improves things. But already I have a great deal of confidence it will.
I'm not sure if the suspension mods will improve your lap times as much as the increase in confidence you'll have in the car will.

Can you explain the changes to turn in? That is the weak point on this car imo, as it does not instill confidence.

Also does the steering have more feel with the increased camber? I've noticed that in other cars.

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
Looks good 8) Glad you like the new gear.
Have you been able to document any improvement in lap times with your new suspension setup?
Not yet. The car definitely handles better (less roll and significantly less brake dive) but I have not conclusively turned faster laps yet. There are so many variables though including tires, track condition, traffic, weather, etc. that it's too early to say for sure.

CaliMR said:
Can you explain the changes to turn in? That is the weak point on this car imo, as it does not instill confidence.

Also does the steering have more feel with the increased camber? I've noticed that in other cars.

Turn in is sharper and more immediate now - much more "point and shoot", with the vagueness all but gone now. Feels very precise and tight - it's a huge improvement.

5 DOT 0 said:
LateApex said:
I'm not sure if the suspension mods will improve your lap times as much as the increase in confidence you'll have in the car will.

We will see. Confidence is a huge thing, too ;D I just love the way the car feels now, and if that translates into better lap times, well then that's the point!

I have detailed GPS data of every lap I run, with all corner speeds I've run at Autobahn. Track conditions can play a factor, sure, but my data is quite detailed. I should be able to show in specific terms what actually happens, and if there are gains.

LateApex said:
Turn in is sharper and more immediate now - much more "point and shoot", with the vagueness all but gone now. Feels very precise and tight - it's a huge improvement.

Nice, I'm so used to my track car that the numbness really affects my confidence even just playing around on the street. I am learning to just turn and have faith the car will follow ;D Looking forward to hearing how the data turns out too.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel