The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suspension makeover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
A few weeks ago, I purchased a used set of Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport springs, MM camber plates and UMI LCAs from a BMO member.
Finished installing the fronts today. Its pretty easy with the struts/springs/plates already assembled!
Next up--installing the rear shocks, springs, and LCA's.
Then finish up with the Whiteline Watts link, FRPP LCA brackets, and jounce dampeners that showed up Friday.
Here's a pic of the front.
img20130525195845292.jpg

drano38

Wayne
Thanks everyone.
Yes, I'm anticipating a whole new car when I get it done. Got the front on the ground, and jack stands on the rear today.
I spent lots of time trying to decide on a Watts or panhard bar. Did lots of internet searching, and got advice from several people. Most say a PHB will work very well, but those who run a Watts say there is a noticeable, but not night and day, improvement. Do I NEED a Watts?--no. But in the end, I figured what the heck, might as well dive in big.
Once I get the back taken apart, I'll see if I want to tackle a UCA and mount. Installation looks pretty involved, and some say replacing our factory UCA isn't a huge change.

Thanks for sharing this set up. I have virtually the same set up but with the new Steeda Boss springs, which are supposed to be spring rate matched and keeps the same roll center. Instead of the Watts link, I elected to go with the APB....I am also installing a set of new Baer 6S brakes on the front. Will get a chance to try this set up out in Tulsa at Hallett later in June and will post my impressions.

drano38

Wayne
I got the rear springs, shocks, FRPP LCA relo brackets, UMI LCAs, and Whiteline Watts install complete.
LCA relo brackets were pretty easy, but I had to spread the drivers factory bracket ears a bit to get the spacer in--used a 1/2 x 5" carriage bolt (threaded full length), put both nuts inside the bracket, then turned a nut to spread the bracket a bit.
Things get crowded with the brackets and Strano bar installed, but everything clears.
Springs, shocks and jounce dampers were easy.
Whiteline Watts link--now that's another story. I'll make a detailed thread on that install. Big picture, I spent about 4 hours per night for 3 nights to get that thing installed. I'll admit, I read directions several times, and take my time, but that thing kicked my butt. Install instructions need to be better (they're working a revision), and I had to open some holes for bolt clearance and clean up some threads. Hope to get a thread posted Sunday.
Anyway, here's some pics.
img20130605194702534.jpg

img20130605195010122.jpg

img20130605194915049.jpg

Strano sway bar will have to be kept in the full soft (end of bar) hole--where I run it for square setup--to prevent the downlink from hitting the Watts brace attaching point. Below pic is with suspension hanging all the way down. Lots more clearance with suspension loaded.
img20130605194945635.jpg

drano38

Wayne
First impressions are good, and it seems more planted and less body roll.
But I haven't pushed it too hard. No cloverleafs on farm country Interstate system, and no curvy roads near by either.
When I get to BIR in July, I'll know for sure.
Koni yellow and Steeda Sport are a popular combo. Sam Strano sells both, and if you called him for a recommendation, that's most likely what he'd tell you. But he does sell other brands too.
Looking forward to hearing what you decide on.

TMO Supporting Vendors