The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suspension rubbing/vibration noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Started hearing and feeling a little noise/vibration at speed at Watkins in turns
The only thing I changed from the last time I was there was the Front sway-bar setting
from middle to the stiffest setting...would that cause it?
Took the wheels off didn't notice any rubbing or anything loose.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Cobrarob said:
Started hearing and feeling a little noise/vibration at speed at Watkins in turns
The only thing I changed from the last time I was there was the Front sway-bar setting from middle to the stiffest setting...would that cause it?
Took the wheels off didn't notice any rubbing or anything loose.

How did you feel the vibration? Through the steering wheel, or the pedals? Or did you notice the vibration through the seats, or interior rear view mirror?

Trying to pin down the source from the front suspension, rear suspension or brake system.

You should check your front hubs for bearing play and noise as mentioned by 06Mach1. Also while you're there, inspect brake pads, rotors and tires as well.

Any more information on the noise? Is it a squeal or metallic grinding type noise?

Regards,
Dave

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
It sounded and felt it in the seat more like a rubbing, initial thought was
tire rub on cooling ducts or end link bolt. When I shook the rear end their seemed to have a lot of play on drivers side rear end. Gonna bring tomoro to my buddy to
check t out more. Keep you posted,thanks for tips.
Mike I just changed the front wheel bearings last month didn't seem to make noise when I checked.
The noise was only heard and felt at full speed/lean on turns
Thanks Mike and Dave

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Cobrarob said:
When I shook the rear end their seemed to have a lot of play on drivers side rear end. Gonna bring tomoro to my buddy to check t out more. Keep you posted,thanks for tips.

The noise was only heard and felt at full speed/lean on turns.

Good idea to have it checked out, as this is a concern. Usually when you feel/hear this in the seats, it is drivetrain or rear axle related.

High speed leans creates side to side movement in the rear axles, so pull the rear wheels and start there. Also inspect the rear caliper inner brake pads for wear, sometimes our ponies will wear inner pads first.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Dave
2HP

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Rear axle bearings, rear axle end play, worn control arm bushings, worn panhard rod bushings can all cause these symptoms. Rear wheel bearings are not likely unless the noise is constant and rises and falls with speed. Check into this because if axle end play is the cause it may be ready to lose a C clip and spit out an axle.
Steve

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Just talked to Dave my instructor, he said he felt it thru
the frame/suspension. Hopefully get outta work early
to do some searching! Thanks again guys, thanks Steve.
Let you know
Rob

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Checked/cleaned and greased all the bushings,checked over the suspension
couldnt find anything that made the noise,everything looked good.
Went out for a while hit some on and off ramps-no noise!
Have to wait for LRP

TMO Supporting Vendors