The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suspension Upgrades...Yes..They Are Worth It!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
I started my suspension upgrades a week ago today. Buttoned everything up this past Monday evening. For anyone even considering this....it is my opinion that it was worth every penny and every aching muscle in my body. Following all the directions carefully...reading other peoples experiences and tips helps the install process immensely.

Driving impressions are limited but here goes: I put on about 25 miles on twisty roads after having had the alignment checked this morning. I feel, personally, that I'm getting more feedback from the car. Some might interpret this as being slightly more harsh...but I'm able to appreciate what the tires are doing a lot more than with the stock suspension. I also appreciate a greatly reduced nose dive when braking. I was able to drift the rear in a corner and the rear end stayed very composed and under foot. My only thought while driving...."This is exactly the way I want my Boss."

I don't want to be accused of promoting any one aftermarket manufacturer over another. Just want to say....the urethane bushings...stiffer bars etc. take the vehicle to another level. This is all very attainable by the average guy...if I can do it..anyone can :). I shocked the mechanic this morning...I told him the caster would be close but my camber was off on the driver's side. The mechanic said my redneck alignment was "in spec" and would probably have worked fine. I was a little less negative in the camber on the driver's side...caster was dead on. Thank you CC plates!

If any of y'all are considering suspension upgrades...I'd strongly recommend it. I can't wait to get my Boss on the track...really excited about the changes.

Wayne

Good job Wayne. Agreed on all counts.

Suspension was the first thing I re-did (front to back) and upgraded everything to adjustable, stiffer, race-class versions. Totally different car.

Nice 8) Are you getting it onto BIR soon? The new track is awesome. I just wish I would have gotten more than Friday afternoon there. Hopefully the weather will be better in July when I get back there.

isrboss

I have absolutely no clue what you have installed. I think you have MM plates and maaaybe some sway bars. I do agree with you, I have not even thought about power mods(aside from Trackey, K&N drop in and GT500 mufflers). I have put all my focus on cornering grip.

Senderofan

cloud9 said:
Nice 8) Are you getting it onto BIR soon? The new track is awesome. I just wish I would have gotten more than Friday afternoon there. Hopefully the weather will be better in July when I get back there.

I'm glad you made it up there. The weather looked marginal so I spent the whole weekend doing cold concrete therapy ;D. As a result...the verdict is in...I'm old! The aches and pains are only just about 50% gone.

Really nice to hear that the new surface is awesome! I have one date booked for June 24th. I'm looking at booking September 23rd....it's one of the only dates where they run both tracks...and I absolutely love the Donneybrooke. Plus that Sept. date should have me loosened up for my two day course at MMP Oct. 3rd & 4th.

Let me know when you'll be up at BIR next ( the specific date in July)...I'd really like to drive up and watch all you "Semi-Pro guys" at work.

Wayne

Senderofan

isrboss said:
I have absolutely no clue what you have installed. I think you have MM plates and maaaybe some sway bars. I do agree with you, I have not even thought about power mods(aside from Trackey, K&N drop in and GT500 mufflers). I have put all my focus on cornering grip.

I didn't want to promote any manufacturers.....I think most of them out there make outstanding products...take your pick.

I installed everything reasonable that a "Dolt" like myself could handle. The list as follows: Lowering springs, CC plates, adjustable swaybars front and rear, adjustable upper control arm, LCA relocation brackets, LCA arms and the one manufacturer I will give a shout out to..."Koni"....... Yellow dampers all around ( Wow...what an improvement!)

Anyway, perhaps a large portion of the perceived improvement is attributed to the urethane bushings? The stock UCA bushing is unbelievably soft....I could see where a significant amout of strange deflection could occur there and perhaps the stock LCA's.

I think Ford did a very respectable job on the factory suspension.....nice compromise between handling and comfort. But kicking the suspension bits up a notch or two....really compliments the amazing engine we have. I can only imagine what coilovers and a watt's link would do for the Boss....Not even the remotest possibility for me...my wife has drawn that line in the sand.

I just wanted to share my experience.....promote the idea if anyone out there is even remotely thinking about upgrading to do so. Life is short....get out and enjoy your Boss....every chance you get!!

Wayne

Senderofan

Here's a picture...compared to my Avatar...it's dark out today..but I think you can appreciate the lowered suspension.

photo_zps59039d3a.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I agree with you man. I have new upper and lowers on the back of my boss coupled with the BBR motor mounts made the car feel so much more solid then before.

But hey dont be afraid to post what brands you are running we all like to know what works and what doesnt :)

Senderofan

Justin said:
I agree with you man. I have new upper and lowers on the back of my boss coupled with the BBR motor mounts made the car feel so much more solid then before.

But hey dont be afraid to post what brands you are running we all like to know what works and what doesnt :)

Not afraid ;D...I like folks researching and coming up with their own solution that fits their budget and requirements. I think there's a significant number of folks that have had great success with FRPP, Steeda, Whiteline and others. I went a different route....I went Hotchkis. I went with the Stage 1 TVS system listed for the Boss. I also went with the Hotchkis Rear Suspension Kit. I also have the BMR LCA relocation brackets and the Maximum Motorsport CC plates. At the time I purchased my parts....the price made sense. I cannot compare my components to others....but suffice it to say...they are a significant upgrade to the factory components that they replaced.

I just feel truly blessed to be in a position...in my life...where this was even remotely possible. I also feel really lucky that this time occured when Ford had such an amazing platform, in the new Boss, for me to realize my dream of owning a legit. corner carver with an amazing engine. Just wanted to promote the idea of suspension upgrades to others here....living the dream....to go for it if they are in a position to do so.

The dream has been around for me since 1969-1970. Some dreams can eventually come true!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne

Senderofan said:
I didn't want to promote any manufacturers.....I think most of them out there make outstanding products...take your pick.

I installed everything reasonable that a "Dolt" like myself could handle. The list as follows: Lowering springs, CC plates, adjustable swaybars front and rear, adjustable upper control arm, LCA relocation brackets, LCA arms and the one manufacturer I will give a shout out to..."Koni"....... Yellow dampers all around ( Wow...what an improvement!)

Anyway, perhaps a large portion of the perceived improvement is attributed to the urethane bushings? The stock UCA bushing is unbelievably soft....I could see where a significant amout of strange deflection could occur there and perhaps the stock LCA's.

I think Ford did a very respectable job on the factory suspension.....nice compromise between handling and comfort. But kicking the suspension bits up a notch or two....really compliments the amazing engine we have. I can only imagine what coilovers and a watt's link would do for the Boss....Not even the remotest possibility for me...my wife has drawn that line in the sand.

I just wanted to share my experience.....promote the idea if anyone out there is even remotely thinking about upgrading to do so. Life is short....get out and enjoy your Boss....every chance you get!!

I can also vouch for the Koni Sport Yellow struts and dampers...they are awesome

Wayne

TMO Supporting Vendors