The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SVE 18x10 with 295x30x18's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm starting a new thread for anybody else trying to decide on a tire/wheel combination. I originally wanted to go with 18x11" wheels all the way around running 315's but the wheels I wanted were on backorder for two months and I was concerned with rub.

So for now I ended up going with SVE wheels from LateModelRestoration. THe offsets are 43mm.

The closest thing to rubbing up front is the swaybar mounting bolt as you can see in the picture.

I went with the 30 in height to lower the car. I didn't measure before or after but I had to build ramps for the splitter to clear my trailer ramp. Also, the bolts for the side pipes actually hit while going into the trailer over the door, trailer floor transition so I had to modify those. (I suggest everyone check these because if those bolts catch on anything at speed, it wouldn't be a good thing.

Here are some pix.

Front strut clearance.
IMG_0758.jpg

Spring perch clearance (I measured 2 1/4")
IMG_0775.jpg

Side View
LeftSideWithSve.jpg

View of the trailer I use when I talk about clearance
IMG_0769.jpg

Front View
IMG_0766.jpg

Everything seems to fit and work nicely. I took the car to an empty parking lot and made several sharp turns at speed without any signs of rub anywhere.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
So, 18x10 with a 295x30? How is the clearance to the lower spring perch (I can see you got the tire under it... just wondering by how much? I'm contemplating 295x40s).

That hex portion of the upper end-link bolt can be cut off if you want. Most of the people running 18x10s or larger in the front do that just for added peace of mind.

Looks good!

JScheier said:
That hex portion of the upper end-link bolt can be cut off if you want. Most of the people running 18x10s or larger in the front do that just for added peace of mind.

Looks good!

Yep, that is exactly what I did too. Too close and it would get a side wall pretty quickly. Not worth the risk.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
frosty said:
I'm starting a new thread for anybody else trying to decide on a tire/wheel combination. I originally wanted to go with 18x11" wheels all the way around running 315's but the wheels I wanted were on backorder for two months and I was concerned with rub.

So for now I ended up going with SVE wheels from LateModelRestoration. THe offsets are 43mm.

The closest thing to rubbing up front is the swaybar mounting bolt as you can see in the picture.

I went with the 30 in height to lower the car. I didn't measure before or after but I had to build ramps for the splitter to clear my trailer ramp. Also, the bolts for the side pipes actually hit while going into the trailer over the door, trailer floor transition so I had to modify those. (I suggest everyone check these because if those bolts catch on anything at speed, it wouldn't be a good thing.

Is your car stock other than the wheels and tires?

Is your car stock other than the wheels and tires?

I added a Maximum Motorsports camber plate, Howell adjustable Swaybars front and rear. (Purchased through Strano parts.) I also added a Spohn adjustable pan hard bar. I also added a Corbeaux Harness bar with some of the Cool Tech Boss 302 stitched harnesses.

I was supposed to get some springs to lower the rear an inch but they weren't shipped.

Thank you for this info as this was the combo I was considering but, I was considering a bit taller tire. I am lowered on Steeda Ultra Light springs but otherwise stock for now. Please update as anything warrants.

JScheier said:
I was going to suggest the same thing. We ground mine down during PDI :p

zzyzx

Steve
Looks great! Thanks for the info.

So, 18X10 +43. Looks like plenty of clearance in the front. But yeah, that damn bolt. I noticed that yesterday myself when having new tires mounted. I don't think I'd bother cutting it but would instead get one in a better length.

I went the opposite direction on diameter, though. A 295/30-18 is 24.8" diameter vs. the stock rear 285/35-18 at 26.9". That clips a couple MPH off your top speed in 2nd gear. I went with 295/35-19 (rear, stock wheels), which is about 1% larger diameter.

I hand grinder and there is a pad you can get from Lowe's. It kind of looks like fins in a turbine and each "fin" has a sand paper texture. You can sand them done and make them look nice.

I went with the 30's just because I was going after the lowest CG possible.

I think it handles great now.

All I have to go off of is stock with stock tires, at an autocross the built in Lat G meter would read about .96 to 1 after an event.

My last event I ran with the car, with the setup discussed in this thread it recorded a 1.36 g turn.

LeftLatG.jpg

With all that, I think I'm going to sale everything. I love this car but I couldn't bear mess it up on the track. Plus I want something with a roll cage, fire system etc. Again, I'm not altering my LS.

So I'm going to sale all my parts.

Camber plates, Strano bars, H&R springs, Spohn Pan Hard bar, SVE wheels, 295 A6's.

I also have a set of Pype's Axle Back deletes and to me the car now sounds like I expected from the factory.

Forgot about the set of Boss 302 Harness belts and Corbeau Harness bar. (I probably won't sell these until everything else sales.)

I'm going to post all this in the classifieds as well.

frosty said:
I hand grinder and there is a pad you can get from Lowe's. It kind of looks like fins in a turbine and each "fin" has a sand paper texture. You can sand them done and make them look nice.

I went with the 30's just because I was going after the lowest CG possible.

I think it handles great now.

All I have to go off of is stock with stock tires, at an autocross the built in Lat G meter would read about .96 to 1 after an event.

My last event I ran with the car, with the setup discussed in this thread it recorded a 1.36 g turn.

LeftLatG.jpg

With all that, I think I'm going to sale everything. I love this car but I couldn't bear mess it up on the track. Plus I want something with a roll cage, fire system etc. Again, I'm not altering my LS.

So I'm going to sale all my parts.

Camber plates, Strano bars, H&R springs, Spohn Pan Hard bar, SVE wheels, 295 A6's.

I also have a set of Pype's Axle Back deletes and to me the car now sounds like I expected from the factory.

Forgot about the set of Boss 302 Harness belts and Corbeau Harness bar. (I probably won't sell these until everything else sales.)

I'm going to post all this in the classifieds as well.

PM sent.

frosty said:

Everything seems to fit and work nicely. I took the car to an empty parking lot and made several sharp turns at speed without any signs of rub anywhere.

Did you run spacers on the front or were you fine running without them?

I don't think he monitors this forum anymore.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
That's about a mile of clearance from that bolt end with those 295s on there, and even if it were close, you could zip the end of the bolt off with a Dremel...ask me how I know...

ArizonaGT said:
That's about a mile of clearance from that bolt end with those 295s on there, and even if it were close, you could zip the end of the bolt off with a Dremel...ask me how I know...

Yea I was planning on trimming that bolt down to at least be even with the strut body. I've been looking at getting a set of wheels and tires for AutoX and the Hoosier sale motivated me, I got a set of 295/40/18 from their clearance. Supposed to be here Friday. I still need to find a set of wheels to mount them on though.

TMO Supporting Vendors