The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SVE Drift 18X10 +43: The perfect track wheel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT said:
Not sure who went wider wheels/narrower, at least on purpose... I run 285/35 up front and 305/35 in the rears on 9" and 10 1/2" wheels. I prefer wider and staggered. Some Auto-X guys are running non-staggered with good reports.
Are you running 9" up front or 9 1/2"?

I ordered a set of these with the 555 nitto's for 1263.00 shipped.
That's cheap and like others have mentioned I won't miss the difference of a slightly lighter rim.

No, they came with the I's. Still a good price. II's would have been a steal. They should be here Wednesday.

cloud9 said:
You don't mean the 555R do you? That's a drag radial......
It just says 555, here's the link

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/WTK-1007FD/2005-12-Mustang-Flat-Black-SVE-Drift-Wheel-Nitto-Tire-Kit

If they are drag radials I'll sell them. I guess I'll find out when they get here

They are the nt 555. A high performance street tire. That's fine for my skill level. I'll burn them up and then move to the nt01's or kook rs3's

Jza1736 said:
They are the nt 555. A high performance street tire. That's fine for my skill level. I'll burn them up and then move to the nt01's or kook rs3's

Jason, I used these as the first track tires before I had any camber. They worked fine, the NT05's are better and will last a lot longer then NT01's or similar but the fronts will get eaten up without camber.

2012YellowBoss said:
Jason, I used these as the first track tires before I had any camber. They worked fine, the NT05's are better and will last a lot longer then NT01's or similar but the fronts will get eaten up without camber.
Thanks Scott,
I bought Rocketman's C&C plates. They are getting Done in the spring.

Jza1736 said:
Thanks Scott,
I bought Rocketman's C&C plates. They are getting Done in the spring.

Good deal, with the 555's you will not need more then -1.5 to 1.8. It is a small amount of camber but if you are still using it on the street it is not too much for DDing and you will feel some difference on track. Once you get the plates you may want to try the 05's next and add more camber, they stick pretty good when hot and are a good deal for general tracking. Of course 01's, Hoosiers are more fun but that comes at a high cost.

2012YellowBoss said:
Good deal, with the 555's you will not need more then -1.5 to 1.8. It is a small amount of camber but if you are still using it on the street it is not too much for DDing and you will feel some difference on track. Once you get the plates you may want to try the 05's next and add more camber, they stick pretty good when hot and are a good deal for general tracking. Of course 01's, Hoosiers are more fun but that comes at a high cost.

Thanks, I thought so. Tires, mounting and shipping for 625 (600 for the rims)was great. At my skill level, they should be fine. I'll move up to the 05's or 01's next.

She's not my DD and barely a weekend warrior. Only because I work a lot. Would it be better to set the camber at its max 2.x. Whatever they can get without hogging out the holes.?? Or is 1.5-1.8 better for those tires?

Jza1736 said:
Or is 1.5-1.8 better for those tires?

Not necessarily, you want the most camber you can get for the track (see below). Since these tires wear very well you can get away with less camber, a softer tire will wear the edge quicker. I only said that because I assumed you were DDing it. I have 2.83 right now and it can become unpleasant to drive on public highway at times, it will pull into any uneven surface.

Others may disagree with me on this but the route Rick and I took was making changes to the car slowly as we improved our driving skills. We used the factory brake lines up a certain point then added the steel lines, same with camber I started with -1.6 then 1.8, 2.2 and finally maxed out without hogging out the strut towers. You can start maxed out but (IMHO) doing this gives you a better feel/understanding of the car and your driving as you improve your skills over time.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll start with the 1.8 than. I've been tracking since 2008, but only 2-4 times a year. So I'm still a beginner. With the Boss I plan to do a lot more :)

I don't know man, I think you are not giving yourself enough credit. If you have been out there for a few years, even if only a few times a year, I would say you are not a beginner. When I say beginner I was thinking 0-4 track days when people have no idea what an apex is and never get close to it, tracking at that point is driving really fast on a straight away. I am sure at this point you are working on lines and I would say that adding in more camber in your case is a good thing. Add as much as you can and the only reason to hold back would be what you are comfortable with to drive it on the street, as I said over 2.2 or 2.3 it starts to act differently on the street.

So start at least there if not max with factory caster and 0 (zero) toe. You made a correct choice getting tires like these rather then burning up very expensive as you progress, just understand the limitations of the 555's since they will not heat up as well as a softer tire.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel