The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SVE Drift 18X10 +43: The perfect track wheel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jza1736 said:
Thanks guys
Nitto nt05's will be my next tire!

The 555's are 255/45/18 & 285/40/18
You should consider Hankook RS3's or if they are out the new BFG Rival's for street tires.

For the street I run the v12 kooks on the stock rims. They are fine for the street. And at $750 a set I can't go wrong. I have 9000 miles on them and they still have plenty of tread

Just got done ordering a set of these wheels, I hope they will work out good. Seems to be a good deal for the money, now I need to order tires. Probably going to go with Nitto's NT05's. Just wanted to let everyone know Latemodel's coupon code is Terminator. Saved me 30.00/5% every little bit helps, with this addiction. lol... ;D

I just ordered a set also. You could also use 3vcoyote or windsor for coupon codes. They have the same discount though but in case you wanted to be different... ::)

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I posed this question earlier in this thread but no responses so far.

As these SVE wheels are so affordable, would it make sense to anyone who has been tracking their car for a while to order another pair of wheels for the front? Reason being if the fronts wear out way faster than the rears, you would have an extra set to give you time to get replacement rubber. You would also have the benefit of a ready to go spare.

A secondary reason to consider this for me is the wife factor. She doesn't understand the whole take your Boss to the track thing, but tolerates it because it's something I want to do. However, what she will want from me is a bottom line price of what it will take to get me started and keep me going for at least a full year or more. We just don't have enough money in the family budget to absorb track fees and expenses AND a new set of rubber. I don't want to miss out on events because I don't want to annoy the wife, as we already stretched just to buy the Boss. I won't be tracking until next year after BTA event in late August, and that will give me time to buy a helmet, clothing, etc.

ace72ace said:
I don't want to miss out on events

That is why we carry extra sets of tires. I have cut tires because people discard sharp objects in the paddock and I have corded tires before they were completely worn. We can't tell you how to handle household budgets but if you pay a few hundred dollars for an event and have to leave after the first run, is it worth it?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ace72ace said:
As these wheels are so affordable, does it make sense to buy 5 of them so that you can have a full spare tire ready to go as cheap 'track day' insurance to keep you racing should you get a flat? If you are only doing a few events per year, and have to pay travel expenses, fuel, fees & insurance, to me it makes sense that you would have at least 1 or 2 spares 'just in case'.

It does make sense to have at least a spare to get you home, if you are driving to the track.

If you run square/directional you should have at least two spares, a right and a left.

If you run square/asymmetrical, you only 'need' one.

Staggered/asymmetrical (like we are stock) you need two, 1 front and 1 rear.

And worst case is staggered/directional...you'd need a full set of spares to cover each corner.

It's hard to suggest how many spares somebody else needs. I'm still deciding wether I'm bringing two or four spares for Chuckwalla tomorrow.

And since front tires will wear out more quickly than the rears tread, not heat cycling), can you get maximum tire life on a squared setup where you can rotate an extra pair of tires/wheels? My budget is very tight, as just getting the Boss was a stretch for me this year. I won't be able to start tracking my Boss until later this year, or possibly next year once I can save up enough to get all of the required gear.

Very tight budgets and tracking are tough to mix. Best thing I think you can do is research economical setups and try to learn from others who are running on a smaller budget. ...and learn from others mistakes, where possible.

There are many methods available to get your fronts to wear evenly by rotating or flipping, tire pressure and camber/caster settings. But the variations all depend on the type of tires used. On my GT, I actually got the stock fronts (same as the Boss fronts) to wear nearly flat/evenly across down to the wear bars...but it took a LOT of monitoring and changing settings to get it like that. Similar settings with my PSS front started wearing the shoulders way faster than I expected...

I hope that gives you something useful to chew on...

I put my SVE 18x10's with 285/35/18 R-S3's on today after work. I think it's a major visual improvement. I'm headed to Spring Mtn with the Shelby Bash next week so I'll report back on performance.

048_zps5ac52df4.jpg

047_zps1563ac81.jpg

roadhouse said:
Nice! Looking good... Have fun at the Shelby bash.

Thanks! I'll try to keep it on track this year...

IMG_2901.jpg

NFSBOSS said:
Nice. It looks like the Pelican needs some love. ;)

My dad says that when you stack anything on an old car it's this kiss of death for the project. This from the guy who took 35 years to restore his '32 Woodie.

DSC01664.jpg

DSC03353.jpg

I know you guys only tolerate me and my 06 since its not a boss... :p but I figured I'd chime in with some pics of my set I got a few weeks ago. Fitment was great except for my sway bar end link on the passenger side. I scratched up the inside of the wheel real nice only moving the car 3 feet. Make sure that there won't be any interference there when putting them on or you might have to trim the stud like I did. I have the whiteline adjustable endlinks.

DSC08756E_zps9cc1194f.jpg

DSC08772E_zps5d9a3c50.jpg

Grant 302

Zquez said:
I know you guys only tolerate me and my 06 since its not a boss... :p

Nice pics. I hope you're kidding about your GT because *I* like seeing what you've done with your car.

Also wanted to mention...don't get water in the vent holes between the lugs. It doesn't come out on its own easily and will collect rusty water if it's not 'baked' out with brake heat. So if you leave the water in there after washing, you will be rewarded with rusty water dripping out on your clean rims.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Fat Boss said:
Thanks! I'll try to keep it on track this year...

Nice whitewalls, I thought those went out of style a while back? 8)

Grant 302 said:
Nice pics. I hope you're kidding about your GT because *I* like seeing what you've done with your car.

Also wanted to mention...don't get water in the vent holes between the lugs. It doesn't come out on its own easily and will collect rusty water if it's not 'baked' out with brake heat. So if you leave the water in there after washing, you will be rewarded with rusty water dripping out on your clean rims.

Thanks man. ;) I was just kidding since after all, the only REAL difference between the Boss and my car is the motor. Which I still want. But I'm happy with my 462 rwtq for now. :p

I'll have a boss one day...

Thanks for the advice. If I had one complaint about these wheels it would be the finish on everywhere but the outside. Even the lug holes had little to no paint. Once installed, its unnoticeable but its the little things. I don't mind too much since they did only cost 150 each and they're my track wheels.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Fat Boss said:
I put my SVE 18x10's with 285/35/18 R-S3's on today after work. I think it's a major visual improvement. I'm headed to Spring Mtn with the Shelby Bash next week so I'll report back on performance.

[mg width=900 height=671]http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54/FatDiesel/Boss%20302/048_zps5ac52df4.jpg[/img]

[ig width=900 height=671]http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54/FatDiesel/Boss%20302/047_zps1563ac81.jpg[/img]

Wow, that looks good. Maybe I'll get a set of these for my practice wheels and save $700 vs. the Forgestars...

Grant 302

ArizonaGT said:
Wow, that looks good. Maybe I'll get a set of these for my practice wheels and save $700 vs. the Forgestars...

I think they look good on the RR and CO cars. Paul with the CO Boss had a set on at Chuckwalla.

Tulsa, OK
Zquez said:
Thanks man. ;) I was just kidding since after all, the only REAL difference between the Boss and my car is the motor. Which I still want. But I'm happy with my 462 rwtq for now. :p

I'll have a boss one day...

Thanks for the advice. If I had one complaint about these wheels it would be the finish on everywhere but the outside. Even the lug holes had little to no paint. Once installed, its unnoticeable but its the little things. I don't mind too much since they did only cost 150 each and they're my track wheels.

They look great! :)

Hey I'm just a GT too haha. I hear you on the finish of the wheels, mine are exactly the same. It's not noticeable but still a little disappointing. That is my only issue with them though.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel