The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SVE drifts or 302S wheels in 19 inch??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi needed some wheels advice. I have decided to go with a set of 19in track wheels and I have narrowed down my choice to either: a set of 4 SVE Drift 19x 9.5 wheels .... or a set of Ford 302S wheels in 19 x 9 and 19 x 10.

For tires I already Dunlops Direzza ZII in 275/19-35 on the way. The Ford wheels are heavy but strong (Tracks here in Chile have tree stumps etc to contend with when going off track) and was wondering if the extra inch in the back would help counter the square tire setups oversteer.

The SVE Drifts would be all the same size for tire swapping etc and lighter but not as strong and no help in the oversteer.

The cost is almost identical with tpms etc. Any ideas??? (Still stock suspension apart from mm camber plates and -1.5 camber)

Much appreciated!!

Most guys here seem to be running 18s since the tires are cheaper and there is a weight/inertia advantage, too. The stock 19's are really beefy. Aftermarket 18's will provide plenty of clearance around the calipers. I chose 18x9.5" Nurburgrings and got even more clearance than there was with the stock 19's, but the load rating is not as high as the SVE wheels. Plenty of guys on here use the 18x10" SVE Drifts square and either set the rear dampers lower or get an adjustable front sway bar. I think 18's will tend to be more forgiving since you can use a taller sidewall while maintaining stock diameter or less.

If I was in your shoes I would be tempted to use up the tires you already bought on the stock wheels and pick up some 18x10" SVE Drifts and an adjustable front sway bar. Then you can rotate the tires and should be able to pay for the sway bar with the extended tire life. I am sure someone one here has that exact setup. A guy I autocross with spoke highly of lower control arm relocation brackets he has installed, so that is an option, too.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I know, 18 inch would be the ideal choice. But I want to be able to drive to the track and have a second set of spare tires on the OEM rimes. I plan to put some Steeda Boss springs on soon and with 18in wheels I will not be able to manage the roads down here in Chile. As it is my tranny scoop gets banged up just heading to the track on the stock wheels.

If you are set on 19s and prefer a square setup you might be happy with the adjustable (and firmer) front Sway bar. That seems to be the consensus from what I have been reading here, unless you want to go crazy with more suspension work. I will be trying that strategy in the spring since I have a square setup with 275/40r18s, and don't need more extensive suspension mods for what I do with the car. For now :)....

I cannot speak from personal experience about the strength of the SVEs, but I have not heard of anyone breaking one yet. The wheels might be the last thing I would worry about if you hit a stump with that much force.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I was just about set on a set of 18 wheels but the overall cost and lack of flexibility has me thinking again.

I can get Dirreza ZII tires relatively cheap down here in Chile. If I use those dunlops then the price difference is almost nothing inbetween 275/35-19 and 275/35-18. And the dunlops do not come any wider then 275. If I went with the 302 sec wheels I could get 265/35-19 and 295/30-19 Hoosiers as I get a little more experienced. Even the cost of the Drifts in 18 or 19 is about 50 bucks for four. It would be nice to have a set of spares! right now, I go to the track with a couple of tire repair kits and hope for the best (be nice to take two wheels with me). Instead of getting a spare 19 wheel and a couple of spare 18 wheels.. a same size 19in set for all uses is appealing....Any one want to sell a set of OEM boss wheels?, or just the rear pair of 19 x 9.5???

TMO Supporting Vendors