The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Swapping rotors for the track?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just swapped pads and cleaned the rotors with a brake rotor hone, but I got really bad pad deposits on the front rotors. The rears don't seem to care and worked fine. I'll swap rotors in the future since I got my original set of rotors cut and rebedded them with the track pads.

FWIW I will probably just run OEM rotors and pads at my next track day, I don't see much reason to change pads other than wear and pedal feel. I can still engage ABS on stock pads whenever I want, but the pad material is softer and wears more quickly and compresses easier leading to a softer pedal feel than my track pads. For a short track day I'm not worried about it though :)

We run either G-Loc R18 or R12 fronts for both street/track. Dust is your friend. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Our car has the Caliperfexion stud kit so we could swap, we just choose not to.

I ran Pagid RS29 pads on the track and street and didn't swap. But with the Caliperfexion stud kit it's very easy to swap the front pads and rotors. Swapping the rear rotors is a PITA.

Not all pads like each other. Mismatched pad deposits can lead to brake judder (warped rotor feeling).

Stock pads won't fade. Just replace them as needed. If you're fast, that could be every couple track days.

I was pretty sure the OEM pad is a Ferodo HP1000, a slight upgrade over the DS2500.

and yes, I found a shop that could cut the rotors, and no, they're not really "floating" enough to matter when cutting them since they're not loose. I asked because I was concerned about it. Factory service manual says the "right way" to cut them is with an on car brake lathe but I couldn't find anybody local that has one.

That is correct, they are very very close. The point though stays the same that you can avoid cleaning up your discs or cutting them by sticking with Ferodo.

In the past with my other cars I had 2 sets of discs and 2 sets of pads. I’ve been using Ferodo for awhile now and haven’t looked back.

I was pretty sure the OEM pad is a Ferodo HP1000, a slight upgrade over the DS2500.

That is correct, they are very very close. The point though stays the same that you can avoid cleaning up your discs or cutting them by sticking with Ferodo.

In the past with my other cars I had 2 sets of discs and 2 sets of pads. I’ve been using Ferodo for awhile now and haven’t looked back.

I guess my point was that if the OEM pads are available just run OEM pads for street and then you can swap to the DS.UNOs or whatever for track use and keep that compatibility. No need to buy DS2500s for more than the OEM pads cost unless the OEM pads are sold out which seems to happen frequently...

Or do you have a source for cheaper DS2500s?

That’s my fault, I totally worded it wrong. Yes, keep the oem pads for the street and run the DSUNOs on the track.

I guess my point was that if the OEM pads are available just run OEM pads for street and then you can swap to the DS.UNOs or whatever for track use and keep that compatibility. No need to buy DS2500s for more than the OEM pads cost unless the OEM pads are sold out which seems to happen frequently...

Or do you have a source for cheaper DS2500s?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel