The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Swapping rotors for the track?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was pretty sure the OEM pad is a Ferodo HP1000, a slight upgrade over the DS2500.

and yes, I found a shop that could cut the rotors, and no, they're not really "floating" enough to matter when cutting them since they're not loose. I asked because I was concerned about it. Factory service manual says the "right way" to cut them is with an on car brake lathe but I couldn't find anybody local that has one.

The reason I ask is because of this document from Ford:

SSM 45903 - 2015-2017 Shelby GT350 And GT350R Brake Service

2015-2017 Shelby GT350 and GT350R vehicles should not have the brake rotors machined when servicing the brake system. Replacement of brake rotors is the only acceptable service of brake rotors on GT350 and GT350R vehicles. GT350 and GT350Rvehicles are equipped with a brake system designed for high speed and superior fade resistance. Occasional brake squeal and elevated levels of brake dust may occur. This is normal and does not affect brake system performance. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 206-00 and the Mustang Owner's Manual and the Shelby GT350 Owner's Manual Supplement for further information.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2015 - 2017 CAR: ZG MUSTANG (S550)

Doc I'm not sure what you're reading but I don't think Ford has used SVT in a while. Maybe you have an old document?

I have the Helm FSM on CD that was the latest available last fall. I'm not extremely concerned about the rotors because the minimum thickness is still well over 34mm, but I am concerned as to why the FSM doesn't contain all of the info. I ran into the same issue on the Focus RS where the manual changed drastically in short periods of time and bolts that weren't marked as TTY suddenly were, etc.

@DocWalt on a side note we just added seal and dust boot replacement kits for the RS Calipers because as you know if they get driven near a track the boots begin to melt.

I sold my RS because that kind of crap annoyed me to no end. I melted the dust boots out in a session at VIR back in 2016 and no way to get replacements. I ended up replacing the calipers. I'm glad to see it finally being addressed!

Are all Ferodo pads compatible with each other?

I just picked up DS1.11s for the track with new rotors. Would like to be able pair them with either OEM, or my PFC pads for the street. If not I'll just swap the rotors. 15 GT PP.

I sold my RS because that kind of crap annoyed me to no end. I melted the dust boots out in a session at VIR back in 2016 and no way to get replacements. I ended up replacing the calipers. I'm glad to see it finally being addressed!
If only they installed a switch to turn off all the dynamic braking and let the driver make the turns rather than the brakes, the cars would have been better road course cars. Once you install a track pad in them all the non-braking events create so much heat it spirals down quickly on a heavy braking track. They do make great Auto-X cars if you can keep tires on it.

Yes you can mix and match the DS2500, DS3000, DS1.11, DSUNO as well as the oem GTPP pads and GT350 pads with no additional bedding required.

Are all Ferodo pads compatible with each other?

I just picked up DS1.11s for the track with new rotors. Would like to be able pair them with either OEM, or my PFC pads for the street. If not I'll just swap the rotors. 15 GT PP.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel