The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sway Bar Preference

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am curious on everyones choice of sway bar kit. I searched and didn't find much.

I am leaning towards Eibach as I have used their sway bars in the past and the diameters seem well balanced. Also, it looks like that is what Cortex runs, which I would be using their coilovers.

I like the idea of the Steeda bars because of their optional billet mounts, but I am not sure if the rear bar is too stiff at 1-1/8" or 28.6 mm.

I think most people upgrade the front sway bar and run something like an OEM 18 or 20mm rear bar. The front has some good choices from BMR, Ford racing/Eibach. I got a really good deal on a Hotchkiss front bar so that's what I went with, it also came with an adjustable rear bar but I can't use it due to my control arm brackets. Your spring rates will also come into play with sway bar selection meaning if you run a higher rear rate you can get away with a smaller rear bar.

I think most people upgrade the front sway bar and run something like an OEM 18 or 20mm rear bar. The front has some good choices from BMR, Ford racing/Eibach. I got a really good deal on a Hotchkiss front bar so that's what I went with, it also came with an adjustable rear bar but I can't use it due to my control arm brackets. Your spring rates will also come into play with sway bar selection meaning if you run a higher rear rate you can get away with a smaller rear bar.

Thanks for the info AdmirC

Utah
I agree. S197 I presume? You will end up with you favorite front bar, (I run the 35mm FRPP bar on full stiff) and with track spring rates (550 front, 250 rear for me) I watched eBey for an 18 mm rear to get the back to stick better. Working great. I would put the front bar on first, then drive the car on track before spending money on the rear. Then you will know if you need a small bar in the back, or larger than stock.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
(Deleted)

Last edited:
Oh and btw most retailers will sell the Ford racing blue bar as a front and rear kit. But the Eibach 05-09 front 35mm bar is the same. The 10-14 bar went to 36mm so it is a little stiffer. Not sure why the change but if you wanted the Ford "blue" bar and didn't want to purchase the whole kit you can grab the earlier Eibach front bar which seems to be available as a front only purchase.

I agree. S197 I presume? You will end up with you favorite front bar, (I run the 35mm FRPP bar on full stiff) and with track spring rates (550 front, 250 rear for me) I watched eBey for an 18 mm rear to get the back to stick better. Working great. I would put the front bar on first, then drive the car on track before spending money on the rear. Then you will know if you need a small bar in the back, or larger than stock.

No I am asking in regards to the S550. Aren’t we in the S550 section?

Not much discussion with sway bars and the S550.

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
No I am asking in regards to the S550. Aren’t when in the S550 section?

Lol. There used to be a guy who would point stuff like that out and move threads (sometimes) when they were started in the wrong place.

Good luck with the S550 help.

Utah
No I am asking in regards to the S550. Aren’t we in the S550 section?

Opps! Sorry, I got to the thread through the What's New link and didn't look at the category. The closest thing that I have to an S550 is a 2019 F-150. I think the svetzer valve is the same, "It's all about ball bearings now a days"... :) (Fletch for those of you that aren't more than 50 years old...)

Opps! Sorry, I got to the thread through the What's New link and didn't look at the category. The closest thing that I have to an S550 is a 2019 F-150. I think the svetzer valve is the same, "It's all about ball bearings now a days"... :) (Fletch for those of you that aren't more than 50 years old...)

Haha... Its all good RodS197. I appreciate that you even offered your opinion!

And don't forget to charge it to the Underhills.

BMR front bar here. I run stock GT PP rear bar...no additional rear bar is necessary. Eibach bar has similar rates. Whiteline and Ford Perf are a little stiffer.

Thanks BmacIL!

Are you saying Eibach rates are similar to BMR front and GT PP rear or are you saying Eibach rates are similar to both BMR front and rear?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
No need for rear sway bar upgrade as this will just add oversteering and you don't want that. I upped my front with the Steeda one on full soft and the car is super neutral and amazing fun to drive. One problem that I've run into doing this is that the rear bar bushing started braking so you need to replace them from time to time.

TMO Supporting Vendors