The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sway Bar Settings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud9 said:
If he's experiencing oversteer a softer rear bar is a good thing. If he had a stiffer rear bar it would only exacerbate the problem.
Why does ford put super-stiff rear bars on the Boss(250lb) and Boss LS(275lb)? The 22mm Ford racing bar is probably 150lb on stiff.
I understand the principle of a firmer rear bar leading to oversteer, but it looks like thats the only thing the OP changed was the bar when his oversteer problems started.

cloud9 said:
Your tires will definitely make a difference as will the track surface. We were running at BIR last Friday with fresh pavement for the first time and when I went into Turn 1 at a buck fifty the front end bit so hard I thought I was going to go spinning up into the woods :eek: That was running the dampers at 2 and 4 (experimenting). As an old racer told me one time about running full stiff on your dampers, he said "It's not a c**k!!" So not knowing your tire condition (or pressures) as mentioned above, or the track surface it's hard to say. Just experiment with the dampers or pressures or adjust your sway bar, but make sure you only change one of those inputs at a time.

This is very true. Before I got the 302r ABS and disabled traction/stabilitrac completely, I had the same experience after putting my swaybars on and hitting the dogleg part of the front straight at VIR. The stabilitrac kicked in at a buck fiddy on the bend and accuated the brakes. I immediately broke into a cold sweat and clenched.....followed by a prolonged WTF..... :eek:

Update from the weekend

I thought I would come back to the thread and update my experience from the weekend at Willow. Started out the weekend with the shocks (M-18000-C) set at 2 Front and 5 rear. Car felt good the first day, no major oversteer and just a little bit of push in the low speed corners. I decided to try some firmer settings that were closer together the next day. I ran 1 Front and 3.5 rear. I ran about half the session before I came in. In slow to medium speed corners I felt I could manage the rear end ok although to me it felt like it wanted to step out. In the high speed sweeper, T8 (120mph) I was completely white knuckled and had no confidence. I went in that session changed to 4 in the rear and went back out. Car felt very confident again in the high speed turns with acceptable push in the slower stuff.

In summary, I am shocked by how much of a difference 1/2 a turn made to the balance. I have heard that the really fast drivers like a loose car but I am definitely going to need more seat time to get confident with that kind of setup.

My times are improving on this track but definitely a few seconds off some of the faster Boss drivers. Need to work on my corner entry speed, I feel I'm leaving a lot on the table.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's input. Can't wait to get out to the track again!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel