The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

T2R Axle install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I replaced my axle with a piece I picked up from Kohr Motorsports. It was built as a spare for a Trans-Am series car. My stock axle was spinning the inside tire, the brakes were burning up the seals, the bare steel housing looked awful, and axle lube was all over the place.

Here's the specs:

3.73 polished gears
T2R differential
Boss 302 diff cover
Overflow reservoir
GT500 brakes
Sterling Grey color matched painted housing

It's a big improvement in durability and grip. A gear based diff instead of friction plates, larger diameter brakes, and Boss diff cover will help reduce axle temps.

Here are the pics:

32627757171_d71259f811_k.jpg Mustang rear axle by smallblock, on Flickr
32627765231_18572b14b0_k.jpg Mustang rear axle by smallblock, on Flickr
32598214042_fc411d8994_k.jpg Mustang rear axle by smallblock, on Flickr
31908437504_6ddc729fce_k.jpg Mustang rear axle by smallblock, on Flickr
Old Axle:
32751687015_48ec1d5011_k.jpg Mustang rear axle by smallblock, on Flickr

The Sterling Grey was a nice touch to give it that finished look.

How is durability of the gears effected with the REM polishing?

Good job, I used to be in the Int'l Show Car Assoc, actually had a car on the cover of Popular Hot Rodding back in the day. I told folks that if I ever wanted to teach a kid about race cars, the first stop would be the show car circuit, not only is every part of the car judged, but if creates an attention to detail that will be needed later.
Attention to detail is the mark of a true professional.

blacksheep-1 said:
Good job, I used to be in the Int'l Show Car Assoc, actually had a car on the cover of Popular Hot Rodding back in the day. I told folks that if I ever wanted to teach a kid about race cars, the first stop would be the show car circuit, not only is every part of the car judged, but if creates an attention to detail that will be needed later.
Attention to detail is the mark of a true professional.

Agreed!!! It grated on me that ford chose not to paint these from the factory on GTs. Even the 302s it looked like the paint was an afterthought (which it was). From what I can tell they just masked of the ID tag and sprayed everything else pretty poorly

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
smallblock said:
Agreed!!! It grated on me that ford chose not to paint these from the factory on GTs. Even the 302s it looked like the paint was an afterthought (which it was). From what I can tell they just masked of the ID tag and sprayed everything else pretty poorly

I have a November 2011 late production 2012 Boss and I can tell you that it was not an after thought at that point in time. When I removed my rear diff housing, it was an OEM paint quality.

The pinion flange and the caliper weights were the only items I had to paint.

I'll take pics when I'm under there next month.
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors