The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

T56 Magnum XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Thank you, the Magnum is supposed to be here Wednesday and I do not want to be chasing parts. I will use the ARP torque specs this time. The bolts received didn't have instructions so I used the factory service manual in March.
your flywheel should have come with instructions, but I believe its just stock values.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Lemme put it this way, I re used mine, blue locktited them in with stock torque values as per Shaun at AED and so far nothing has flown off at regular blasts to 8200+ RPM. I think we're good to go on that.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Oddly, they take no washers at all, which I found unusual, but verified and that's accurate. No washers.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The ARP flywheel bolts came with the Mantic clutch kit. Assembly lube was not included. It said to use factory torque values on the flywheel bolts so I did. I was looking at ARP's site trying to figure out if I should reuse them or not and came across the instructions in previous post. 70 ft/lbs seems like a lot more than the factor spec of 177 in/lbs and 60 degrees. Fabman what did you tighten yours to?

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
It's the extra 60 degrees that generates a good amount of the torque and bolt stretch. To generate a clamping load, you actually want the bolt to stretch, but only in the "elastic deformation" range - when you remove the bolt (and thus the stress on it) it should return to it's original length. If you overtorque a bolt it can go into "plastic deformation" where it is permanently stretched.

If you're worried you stretched the ARP bolts from the previous install, you can measure their length with a micrometer and compare to ARP spec for overall (OA) length (if it's not on their web site, give them a call).

Item 3 in the ARP instructions is important.

You can get ARP assembly lube from Summit, Jegs, Speedway, etc.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thanks, I wasn't sure if Shawn had you do something different from the ARP instructions.
The first time around I asked him and he said no washers, just torque 'em and go, so we used the ford values and locktite.
The second time around I think we looked up the directions from ARP and did it that way....either way worked fine.

TMO Supporting Vendors